logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Children
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-11-12 21:18
Sleep, Merel, Sleep - Silke Stein

This was such a cute children’s book! As a 23 year old with no kids, I’m not necessarily the target audience, but I still liked it.

Since this book was about dreams it gave me a lot of Alice in Wonderland vibes. The main character, Merel, encountered many interesting and unique characters throughout her journey. A few of them reminded me of various Alice characters. For example, King Marmott reminded me of the Queen of Hearts because they were both pretty awful rulers who chased after the title character.

The other characters were great as well. I especially loved Merel’s encounter with the moonfish. That was my favorite part.

The book had a whimsical quality about it that went perfect with the dream theme. The author created a beautiful world with her prose.

I loved how the flashbacks to Merel’s real life were woven into the story. Each little flashback gave insight into Merel, her life, and her sick baby brother.

I would have loved to seen a map or illustrations because I feel like that could take the book to a whole other level.

I also wished the book was a tad bit longer, but that’s probably because I’m an adult not a kid. The book is an appropriate length for a young reader.

Overall, this book was a fun adventure through a child’s dreamland that both kids and adults will enjoy.

review 2018-11-12 20:44
Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky (audiobook)
Children of Time - Adrian Tchaikovsky,Mel Hudson

This book is still unadulterated awesome the third time through (second time by audio).

I love how it came down to the acceptance of the other through empathy and I love the alien spider mentality. Also, Holsten's mini-breakdowns were plausible and really fun to read.

Seriously, it's unadulterated awesome. Intelligent spiders in space battling the last humans for the control of the only habitable planet around. Guess who wins? You'll love the answer. I know I do. Plus it's a fun ride and at one point we have a decanted subculture running around on a sleeper ship. The spiders even have crazy biotech and literal ant computers (sort of like Hex).

I especially love how the spiders manage to out-humanity humanity.

(spoiler show)
review 2018-11-10 20:54
Paddletail the Beaver and His Neighbors
Paddletail the Beaver & His Neighbors: Old Homestead Tales Volume 3 - Neil Wayne Northey

Paddletail the Beaver and His Neighbors is the third of four volumes of Neil Wayne Northey’s Old Homestead series.  Like the first two volumes this is a quick and pleasant children’s book that follows the lives of numerous animals inhabit the area around the Wildwood Pond in the Black Forest though the titular Paddletails.  Although the third book in the series, it doesn’t have to be read in order while still providing enjoyment to young children either reading on their own or being read to by their parents.

review 2018-10-26 14:52
Force of Chaos
Force of Chaos: The Coming of Age of the Antichrist - Lin Senchaid

by Lin Senchaid

I can never resist a good antichrist story. At first I thought this one was going to be just a light hearted YA novel, but things started happening by chapter three that had me holding my breath! There are also some great laugh out loud one-liners between the more intense scenes.

Lucas is the antichrist, but with incarnation comes free will and he's having a teenage rebellion. Rather than being anti-social in high school, he has a few close friends that border on being followers, but most of the time treat him like any other teenager, albeit one with certain leadership abilities and a few, um, unusual skills.

Part of the amusement value is that he attends a Los Angeles high school where everyone knows he's the antichrist and it's just treated as another teenage quirk, except when things get too real. Some of his teachers assume it's just a fantasy thing, but he's got a crush on a girl with very religious parents who disapprove of him for what he is and won't let her go to a dance with him.

I hope there will be further books with these characters. I'm usually not big on series but there's room to further develop some of the peripheral characters and I rather liked the main ones. Yes, including Lucas. I used to wonder after the second of The Omen series films came out what would happen if the antichrist decided he just didn't want to fulfil his prescribed role or questioned the prophecies and this addresses those questions within the context of a fun, fast moving story. Highly recommended!

review 2018-10-23 21:44
Lend (Flyte) by Angie Sage
Lend (Septimus Heap #2) - Angie Sage,Merlin Laansoo

I really like this series. Yes, it's predictable but in a good way. The cover and illustrations are gorgeous and there is a map. The story is well written, characters likeable and the world interesting.
Great fantasy book for children.