logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Christmas
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-16 11:00
Release Day Review! Christmas At the Chalet by Anita Hughes!

A delicious love story about a bridal designer showing her new collection in the Alps during the magical week of Christmas where hijinx of the heart ensue.

It's the day after Christmas, and Felicity Grant is at a gorgeous ski chalet in St. Moritz for the biggest fashion show of her career. Felicity is a rising star on the bridal design scene, and this is her best collection yet. But when her boyfriend gives her a spa day instead of a diamond ring for Christmas, she has to face the possibility that she may never walk down the aisle in one of her own stunning designs.

And then there's Nell, the top model headlining Felicity's show. Nell is planning her dream wedding to her wonderful fiance with one catch: her divorced parents can't stand each other and threaten to no-show if the other is there.

Add to that Felicity's race against the clock to create a special gown for a prestigious bridal salon, and what both girls need is a Christmas miracle. What better place to find one than in the Swiss Alps with its dark forests and sparkling vistas?

But for Felicity it's hard to recognize a miracle even when it's right in front of her, and for Nell one miracle might not be enough to fix the past. Can dreams really come true or is that the stuff of Swiss fairytales?

Anita Hughes's Christmas at the Chalet is full of romance, gorgeous gowns, and the stunning scenery of the Swiss Alps. It's about love and forgiveness, and creating one's own miracles during the most festive time of year.

A delightful exotic Christmas love story with strong, compelling characters that pull readers into their story. The holidays are a time that readers can expect miracles in their romance and this story certainly lives up to that expectation as Felicity Grant and Nell both wish for a Christmas miracle. Felicity is a successful bridal designer who’s beginning to think that she will never where one of her own designs since her longtime boyfriend still hasn’t popped the question and seems to be resisting getting married at all. Nell is one of Felicity’s models and she trying to plan her dream wedding, only problem is her parents refuse to be in the same room as the other. As hijinks ensure in a wonderfully exotic setting, this fast paced plot keeps readers on their toes with lots of intriguing events and emotional turbulence that ensures that readers are rooting for those Christmas miracles for Felicity and Nell. Added suspense comes from Felicity’s career as a prestigious bridal salon is interested in her designs and she meets a Doctor that is a knight in shining armor, at least he is for Felicity. Meanwhile, Nell’s parents have both joined Nell in St. Moritz for the fashion show and Nell has to keep them apart. The story is a delightfully charming read that causes some chuckling and some feel good emotions in readers and the Felicity’s romance is a bit different and doesn’t turn out the way most readers would expect.

Add to your shelves -

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/37638033-christmas-at-the-chalet

BookBub - https://www.bookbub.com/books/christmas-at-the-chalet-by-anita-hughes

AVAILABLE in print or ebook -

SMP - https://us.macmillan.com/books/9781250166685

Amazon - https://amzn.to/2KeHpLz

B&N - http://bit.ly/ChristmasChaletBN

IndieBound - http://bit.ly/ChristmasChaletIndiebound

iBooks - https://apple.co/2M7w9Td

Powells - http://bit.ly/ChristmasChaletPowells

Target - http://bit.ly/ChristmasChaletTarget

Walmart - http://bit.ly/ChristmasChaletWalmart

GPlay - https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Anita_Hughes_Christmas_at_the_Chalet?id=dHtJDwAAQBAJ

Kobo - https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/christmas-at-the-chalet

eBooks - https://www.ebooks.com/95947985/christmas-at-the-chalet/hughes-anita/

BookDepot - https://www.bookdepository.com/Christmas-at-the-Chalet-Anita-Hughes/9781250166678

Anita Hughes was born in Sydney, Australia. She attended UC Berkeley's Masters in Creative Writing program. She is the author of MONARCH BEACH, MARKET STREET, LAKE COMO, FRENCH COAST, ROME IN LOVE, ISLAND IN THE SEA, SANTORINI SUNSETS, CHRISTMAS IN PARIS, WHITE SAND, BLUE SEA, EMERALD COAST, CHRISTMAS IN LONDON and CALIFORNIA SUMMER published by St. Martin's Press.

website - http://www.anitahughesbooks.com/

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5316290.Anita_Hughes

BookBub - https://www.bookbub.com/authors/anita-hughes

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/AnitaHughesBooks

Twitter - http://twitter.com/HughesAnita

review 2018-10-16 00:28
My review of How the Dukes Stole Christmas by Tessa Dare, Sarah MacLean, Sophie Jordan & Joanna Shupe
How the Dukes Stole Christmas: A Holiday Romance Anthology - Sarah MacLean,Tessa Dare,Joanna Shupe,sophie jordan

For starters, DUKES! I don’t care how many make-believe dukes have been created, I’ll read them for as long as they keep writing them. Secondly, Christmas! I’ll admit that I prefer to read dark, scary, paranormal stories during the month of October, but c’mon, who can say no to Christmas stories, specially when they are written by some of your favorite authors and they all come together in one pretty package!
And that actually brings me to say that thirdly, it’s freaking Tessa Dare, Sarah MacLean, Sophie Jordan, and Joanna Shupe, what?! If you haven’t read books by them then let me tell you, you are missing out on some serious awesomeness. And in case you haven’t noticed, I’m a super fan of all of these ladies so forgive me if I gush too much.

Tessa Dare’s Meet Me in Mayfair was clever, funny, and oh, so romantic. It probably is one of the most charming and memorable “date” nights I have ever read.

Sarah MacLean’s The Duke of Christmas Present is a second-chance love story. There were some serious tug-at-your-heart scenes, specially when the heroine returns “home.” It was kind of hard for me to understand the reasoning behind both the hero and heroine’s actions but once I got to the end, everything made complete sense.

Sophie Jordan’s Heiress Alone was another great example of how chemistry between hero and heroine affects a story, even if it’s a short one and even if the romance happens rather quickly.

Joanna Shupe’s Christmas in Central Park had me worrying and suffering along with the poor heroine, and had me wanting to slap the hero upside the head for acting like a spoiled brat that just had to have his way. Their love story may had been full of funny and cringe-worthy moments but the way their forgive and reach their HEA made it all worth it.

In short, four different settings, four different kinds of delicious dukes, four great Christmas stories, and one happy reader that recommends this set to all historical romance lovers. Even if Christmas is not your cup of tea, the romance alone make this a perfect read. 4.5 stars.

*I received this book at no cost to me and I volunteered to read it; this is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher**

review 2018-10-10 20:42
The Christmas Cake Murder
Christmas Cake Murder - Joanne Fluke Christmas Cake Murder - Joanne Fluke

This one goes back to when Hannah moved back to Lake Eden to take care of her family after the death of her father. It goes over how she got started with her bakery and it also introduces another story. So we get two stories for the price of one.

Essie is an older lady who lived in the town and had story times for the children of the town on Saturdays. She would entertain and love on the children while their parents ran errands or just took a break. She fell going down the stairs and was having to live in the hospice as her place was not fit for the living (no electric, water, heat) and Annie, Grandma Knudsen, and Delores got together and decided to give her a gift from the whole town. They plan a Christmas Ball with a Christmas Cake Parade.

It had a lot of recipes and it was a fun read. I didn't want to put it down.

review 2018-10-08 18:45
HARK! THE HERALD ANGELS SCREAM edited by Christopher Golden
Hark! The Herald Angels Scream - Christopher Golden

Christmas! I really can't stand it, but this anthology appealed to me for the following reasons. 1. The killer cover! (For which I got to host the exclusive cover reveal on my blog, Char's Horror Corner, and it was very exciting!) 2. It was edited by Christopher Golden and I've had good luck with anthologies he's edited in the past. I'm happy to report this one was no exception!

This book was chock full of stories, nearly 400 pages worth, so I can't get into all of them here, but I will briefly talk about the tales that stood out for me:

YANKEE SWAP by John McIlveen. Wow! We go from a woman trying to avoid her sexually aggressive boss at a Christmas party, to her getting knocked over the head and waking up tied to a chair. This tale had it all-violence, surprises and plot twists along with a satisfying conclusion. Bravo! 5*

CHRISTMAS IN BARCELONA by Scott Smith. I loved Scott's A SIMPLE PLAN, but this tale was completely different from his usual stuff. I was able to guess the end just before the story got there, but that didn't spoil the fun at all. 4.5*

THE SECOND FLOOR OF THE CHRISTMAS HOTEL by Champion Mojo Storyteller Joe Lansdale. This was a perfect "ghost gets revenge" type story and I loved it, as I do most anything he writes.4.5*

LOVE ME by Thomas Sniegoski. This twisted little tale reminded me of the Tribble episode from Star Trek. What fun! 4*

GOOD DEEDS by Jeff Strand. I don't even know what to say about this one, but it's Jeff Strand. What else do I have to say, really? 4*

IT'S A WONDERFUL KNIFE BY Christopher Golden. I figured out the conclusion early on, but that didn't spoil the fun getting there. 3.5*

HOME by Tim Lebbon. This was a twisted little tale of the end of the world and Santa, albeit a Santa you would never recognize in a million years. 3.5*

Lastly, THE HANGMAN'S BRIDE by Sarah Pinborough. Sarah's books have quickly become some of my favorites in recent history, (and I'm glad I have a good-sized backlog to catch up with), but this tale really took the cake. My second favorite in this anthology, with a distinct Dickensian feel, young William and his soot-filled lungs stole my heart. 5*

Most anthologies are hit and miss with me-very rarely do all the stories hit their mark. In this case, though, it was pretty close to doing so, therefore I gave it a four star rating overall . Even if you hate Christmas, and you "Bah Humbug" with the best of them, this anthology has something for everyone-the variety is outstanding. So as the title suggests HARK people! Come and hear the angels scream!

Highly recommended!

*Thanks to the publisher via NetGalley for the e-ARC of this anthology in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it!*

review 2018-10-08 02:54
great book and great characters
A Billionaire Wolf for Christmas - Terry Spear

Aidan was a gray wolf shifter as well as a doctor who needed new wolves to test. He was searching for a cure for the lupus garou’s reduced longevity. He must now wait until after the Christmas holiday. Maybe his twin brother  Rafe was right. Perhaps joining Rafe and his family early would give Aidan the break he needed and he would gain new insight into what was happening to their kind. Aidan was worried he'd fail in his mission when so many people were counting on him. The concern among the wolf shifters was that if something in their environment or genetics had caused them to live shorter lives , their lives may continue shorten and they would eventually age quicker than humans. Aidan was known to be obsessed and a workaholic. Ted and Mike were Aidan’s bodyguards his brother had hired to protect and guard  Aidan and they were surprised to see him out of the lab so early that day. Then Aidan got a call from Everett Johnson from a wolf pack in Montana. The Seattle pack would not let test their blood they didn’t even allow any other wolves near their territory just their own pack. Everett called to let them know an older wolf had been shunned for no good reason by the pack leader after losing his mate. If he could find the wolf-Nick he might let Aidan take a sample. Dr Holly Gray was going looking for Nick alone as she previously couldn't find him. Aidan had stooped a little boy who was a shifter from the store he was being kidnapped but Aidan stopped the woman even after she hit in the head with her purse that had a gun in it. But He still help on to the woman and she was arrested. Holly and her sister had the little boy- Joey with them when he got away from them.  Holly hadn’t met another male wolf she was instantly attracted to until she met Aidan. Holly met with Aidan and Ted and Mike and her brother-Greg was with her and they spotted Nick but it was too late to go to him. They would try again the next morning.

I loved this book -again the author did an absolutely great job. I didn’t want to put this down. I loved Aidan and Holly together and how they interacted. I loved that Aidan and his brother Rafe were willing to help any wolf who needed help if they could. I was glad Ronald was changing his way as well as Jared I loved how Rafe was so protective of Aidan. I loved the plot and pace of this book. Happily I can find nothing to criticize in this book.I love the characters and the ins and outs of this book and I highly recommend it.