logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Christmas
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-08-14 01:34
Review: The Christmas Gate 2
The Christmas Gate 2 - T. A. Cline

The Christmas Gate 2 opens up with Bob wanting to talk to his publisher. Once he does he makes deal that get him the lovely farmhouse where he could write his stories. Well things get a little more interesting once he moves in to his new farmhouse.

Once things get close to Christmas and plans are made for him and Patty. Patty get a knock at the door. Once does she find out her husband is alive and in the army hospital. What will happen with Patty and Bob?

Bob meets an woman and tell her his story. She get him advice and once she is gone for a bit he does do something inside the book she has. She doe not know until she opens it. He never mentions it either.

Bob make a decision to help Patty out by making it easy for her. Patty does not know this when he leaves after seeing her and getting the message from her friend Lucy. It seem that Patty has to do her own journey as to go on.

She finds a poem or letter addressed to her after Jim and everyone thinks Bob has pass away. Jim does his deal that the farmhouse is to go to Patty if something happened to Bob.

She reads something that Bob wrote at the end of the journal. “The Christmas Gate is not Fiction” and this get her attention and she goes to find the box and she does and she opens it. She think will get 7 visions and what will happen. The journey begins. You will not believe it but her candles and messages are different for her but her journey is bit different then Bobs. Will she find Bob? Will she be able to bring him home?

I really like the theme and plot of the candles. It really well written. The messages were different for each person on their own journey. You will not know until the end who the light form might be. It a fast read and enjoyable as well.

Source: nrcbooks.blogspot.com/2018/08/review-christmas-gate-2-by-ta-cline.html
review 2018-08-03 00:35
Still Free
Fuddles - Frans Vischer
A Very Fuddles Christmas - Frans Vischer
Fuddles and Puddles - Frans Vischer,Frans Vischer

These three books are still being offered as free on kindle (at least in the US).

They are funny.  Fuddles is a very rotund cat (Obelix would say that his chest slipped), and his first book is about his adventures outside, the second is about how his people got him a treee inside the house, and the third  is the horror of dealing with a dog.  The illustrations are beautiful, and if you have a cat, you will most likely enjoy these.

review 2018-07-30 19:03
Giveaway – The 12 Terrors of Christmas by Claudette Melanson @Bella623 @SDSXXTours
The 12 Terrors of Christmas: A Christmas Horror Anthology - Claudette Melanson,Lynn Lamb,Rachel Montreuil

Christmas in July? Why not? I know here in Florida, some cool thoughts will be a good thing…unless The 12 Terrors of Christmas by Claudette Melanson is too hot to handle!

Let’s find out.

The 12 Terrors of Christmas
by Claudette Melanson
Genre: Horror Short Stories

MY REVIEW

Claudette Melanson has been on my radar for some time now, but this will be my first reading of her work. And what a fabulous way to start. Overall, I give this short story anthology a rating of 4. Plenty of thrills and chills to whet your appetite and maybe think twice about what you want for Christmas. Do you believe in Santa?

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

Terror #1 – No one really believed in Santa, but Willa knew he was real. This look at how Santa came to be, how Christmas came to be, how he found his love and who he really is may shock you, yet explain his magic and immortality. Loved it and the fabulous twist on….  4 Stars

Terror #2 – Ya know that saying, no good deed goes unpunished? It applies here in a tragic tale of a boy taken and the young boy who steps up to save his life. 4 Stars

Terror #3 – As I read of Amy’s ability to see into the future and talk to ghosts, I wonder if I would want to know, especially if all I could do is wait for it to happen… waiting with no hope. 4 Stars

Terror #4 – Love Krampus, who is not what he appears to  be, as is Lamia, a four year old girl that works her Christmas magic, as Vaughn can attest to. 4 Stars

Terror #5 – Will…vampires and were of the Christmas kind abound in this sometimes vicious tale of the paranormal and magical world of Santa, reindeer and elves. 4 Stars

Terror #6 – A vampire is a vampire and a cookie could be his downfall, if he tries to make a bargain best left undone. 4 Stars

Terror #7 – This Christmas poem is filled with zombies, weres, demons, and  Santa unlike the Santa you know. 4 Stars

Terror #8 – Would the sea witch bring down Santa and the North pole? She fooled me good! 4 Stars

Terror #9 – She may work for Scrooge, but her boyfriend wants to give her the ultimate gift. I saw the grisly coming. 3 Stars

Terror #10 – Elves, dwarfs, zombies, even a zombie shark. LOVE IT. 4 Stars

Terror #11 – I have not read Riptide YET, but I enjoyed this look into the family’s holiday celebration. 3 Stars

Terror #12 – Lynn Lamb’s contribution. Want to know how Santa can make it around the world in one night? What would happen if he lost his mind? Can Cinnamon Styx and the children save Christmas? Loved it. 4 Stars

READ MORE HERE

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visiting!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/giveaway-the-12-terrors-of-christmas-by-claudette-melanson-bella623-sdsxxtours
review 2018-07-20 05:09
Falling Like Snowflakes (Summer Harbor #1) by Denise Hunter
Falling Like Snowflakes (A Summer Harbor Novel) - Denise Hunter

Speeding north through rural Maine, Eden Martelli wonders how her life came to this—on the run with her mute five-year-old son dozing fitfully in the passenger seat. When a breakdown leaves them stranded in Summer Harbor, Eden has no choice but to stay put through Christmas . . . even though they have no place to lay their heads. Beau Callahan is a habitual problem solver—for other people anyway. He left the sheriff’s department to take over his family’s Christmas tree farm, but he’s still haunted by the loss of his parents and struggling to handle his first Christmas alone. When Eden shows up looking for work just as Beau’s feisty aunt gets out of the hospital, Beau thinks he’s finally caught a break. Eden is competent and dedicated—if a little guarded—and a knockout to boot. But, as he soon finds out, she also comes with a boatload of secrets. Eden has been through too much to trust her heart to another man, but Beau is impossible to resist, and the feeling seems to be mutual. As Christmas Eve approaches, Eden’s past catches up to her. Beau will go to the ends of the earth to keep her safe. But who’s going to protect his heart from a woman who can’t seem to trust again?

Amazon.com

Eden Martinelli is on the run with her five year old mute son. Though her one persistent thought is "keep moving!", once her car breaks down she is forced to at least temporarily settle in the small town of Summer Harbor, Maine. With holiday season on the horizon, Eden gets a job at a local tree farm, the farm owned and operated by former cop Beau Callahan. When Beau's aunt, Trudy, suffers an accident that leads to a fractured leg, Eden is hired on as her home aide while Trudy recovers and works through physical therapy.

As Eden settles into the Callahan home on the farm, her very presence seems to gradually knock loose some repressed feelings in multiple family members, feelings wrapped around long-running unaddressed hurts.Beau notices this influence, and though his heart begins to warm toward Eden, he's still troubled by the mysterious air she keeps around her. Why is she so evasive with any personal questions? What is she hiding? Beau low-key worries that she might be running from the law and he just hired a criminal to look after a beloved family member, but his gut tells him she's not dangerous, just scared. So who put that kind of fear into her?

This is a nice holiday read. It's not brimming with over the top holiday cheer, but instead offers a cozy balance of wit, small town charm, a slow-burn romantic interest, and a dash of mystery. Perfect for those who like their suspense on the more mild side of things...sort of in the thriller-lite vein of a Hallmark Mystery Movie. The bad guy scenes got a little cliche at times for my liking, but the Callahan brothers are so likeable in this series that minor eyeroll moments can easily be forgiven.

For those in book clubs, discussion questions for this story are offered at the back of the book.

I've been reading these out of order, which -- I thought I would mention -- works fine, as each book focuses on a different Callahan brother (of three). But looking back, there are some minor chronological aspects -- mainly with the storyline of Riley's military service -- that will flow better if you read in order.

------------------

My review for The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor #2)

review 2018-07-17 03:11
Colgan Captures the 10th Doctor's First Adventure Perfectly in this adaptation.
Doctor Who: The Christmas Invasion - Jenny Colgan

Back in High School, I remember attending an author event -- some SF author that I'd never heard of (you probably haven't either), but what did I care? He was an actual SF/Fantasy/Horror writer visiting Idaho (it happens a little more now, but back then I hadn't thought it was possible). He discussed getting to write a novelization of a major Horror film thinking, "How hard can it be? Take the script, throw in some adjectives and verbs -- maybe a few adverbs and you're done!" He then went on to talk about all the things he learned about how hard it was taking a script of whatever quality and turning it into something that works in an entirely different medium. That's really stuck with me for some reason, and I've always respected anyone who can pull it off well (and even those who get close to doing it well).

Before I babble on too much, Colgan is one who can pull it off pretty well.I discovered Doctor Who a couple of years before I saw that unnamed SF author, but didn't get to watch much of it, mostly because I lived in about the only place in the States where PBS didn't air old ones. I saw a few Sylvester McCoy episodes (mostly due to the magic of VHS and a friend who lived somewhere with a better PBS affiliate). Other than that, it was the small paperback novelizations of episodes. I owned a few, the same friend owned a few more -- so I read those. A lot. Then comes Russel T. Davies, Christopher Eccleston, Billie Piper, etc. and all was better. But I still remembered those novels as being Doctor Who to me.

So when they announced that they were re-launching that series this year, I got excited. I own them all, but I've only found time to read one -- I started with Jenny T. Colgan, because I know how Paul Cornell writes, and I assume I'll love his -- ditto for Davies and Moffat. Besides, The Christmas Invasion is one of my favorite episodes ever.

I won't bother with describing the plot much -- you know it, or you should. On the heels of regenerating into the 10th Doctor, Rose brings a mostly unconscious stranger into her mother's apartment to recuperate. At the same time, an alien invasion starts -- the British government -- under the direction of Harriet Jones, MP -- and the Torchwood project tries to respond, but really is pining all their hopes on the resident of the TARDIS.

Colgan does a great job bringing the episode to life -- I could see the thing playing out in my mind. But she doesn't just do that -- she adds a nice little touch of her own here and there. Expands on some things and whatnot. In general, she just brings out what was there and expands on it. Adds a few spices to an already good dish to enhance the flavors. Colgan absolutely nails Rose's inner turmoil about who this stranger in her old friend's body is.

I particularly enjoyed reading the scene where the Doctor emerges from the TARDIS, finally awake and ready to resume being Earth's protector -- between Rose's reaction, the already great dialogue, and Colgan's capturing the essence of Tennant's (and everyone else's) performances in her prose. Seriously, I've read that scene three times. I never do that.

I'm not particularly crazy about the little addition she made to Harriet Jones' downfall, but I get it. I'm not scandalized by it or anything, I just didn't think it was necessary. Other than that, I appreciate everything Colgan did to put her stamp on this story.

If the rest of these books are as good, I'm going to be very glad to read them, and hope that there are more to come soon.