logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Co-Sleeping
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-01-14 11:25
Consistently entertaining
Lies Sleeping - Ben Aaronovitch

Peter is now a Detective constable and they're still on the hunt for Martin Chorley, the Faceless Man, and they're getting closer to him. He has a plan that could change the future and Peter is going to need help from everywhere he can get it. What you get is what Peter sees mostly and sometimes he doesn't see anything. Bells feature and more of they mythos of London and it's all quite complicated.

Interesting to see Peter progress through his career and how things change for him and also how his relationship with Beverly changes.

I enjoyed this as always and look forward to the next instalment.

review 2019-01-06 15:50
Lies Sleeping (Rivers of London #7) by Ben Aaronovitch
Lies Sleeping - Ben Aaronovitch

The Faceless Man, Martin Chorley, is moving closer and closer to his mysterious but doubtlessly destructive final goal. But the Folly has gathered all its resources, all it connections to begin Operation Jennifer which will final stop him once and for all

And Peter Grant, detective constable and apprentice wizard, boyfriend to a river goddess is going to be in the centre of the front line

I like Peter a lot, as a character. There’s so many aspects to him which are so refreshing and fun to read. Perhaps most surprising of them is he’s a person. A real person with a life. He’s a police detective and a wizard but he also goes home to his mum for dinner and fending off her massively spicy Sierra Leonian cooking. He has a pint. He goes home to Beverley. In a genre where so many people, especially detectives, seem to just exist for the drama, he actually has a home life. He’s not sitting there declaring “I am Police! My Life Is Fighting The Crime!”

I also like that he’s a good man - and how he’s a good man. Peter isn’t naive. He knows there are times when being a bit of a bastard would be more effective and safer. He overtly thinks that there would be a better way to do things - but those would involving not caring for people, not following the rules and, ultimately, not being a good man. Peter isn’t a fool and is aware that he is sometimes actively making his life more difficult and dangerous -but these rules matter to him. But nor is he self-righteous, he doesn’t think he’s better than other people, he isn’t judgemental. He’s hopeful without being naive and he’s cynical without being bitter. He doesn’t expect the world to be better but he is determined to make it better. And oh my gods, can I say how much I love seeing a fictional police officer who cares about the rules? It seems to be a staple of fiction to have the police break the rules gleefully and we’re supposed to support it. I like to see a fictional police officer who actually cares about the law. I really like how Lesley stands as counterpoint to him - because again she isn‘t super demonised as all evil - but because maybe she just doesn’t have his same lines. And she maybe has a point? These rules and laws have been put in place for completely non-magical people and do they even apply, can they?

And he’s extremely funny and fun with a lot of very wry observations which were hilarious. I love Peter, I love his voice, I love how we get this incredible hard balance of being a good person without being naive or bitter is just hit perfectly. He’s wonderful.

He also fits the world - this wonderful setting in London, full of research and knowledge and pure love of the city - but that love is the same as Peter’s goodness. It’s love that is mixed with cynical knowledge of reality - whether it’s Lesley’s angry retort that London sucks all the wealth and attention from the rest of the country or Peter’s cynical knowledge of London Traffic, funding, neglected areas, some truly awful architecture and more - he sees ALL of it and loves it despite it.

The whole book, the whole series, has some truly excellent takes on police procedure and the city. It’s rueful, snarky, funny, real and manages to make a lot of very boring procedure seem funny. It’s nice to see all the paperwork, it’s nice to see them uploading leads, chasing leads down, attending dull dull meetings, doing risk assessments, checking procedure etc etc. It’s excellent and fun and sarcastic - and both does an excellent job of poking many things without necessarily saying they’re bad or wrong. A procedure can be irritating and mockable while still being important or necessary.

Top this off with the supernatural, the glorious romp of fae, arthurian legend, magic, dubious practitioners and a whole lot of fun woo-woo. And I really love how there is a lot of research in this - from the work of archaeologists, to what early London looked like and bringing that history together into a really complicated and fascinating plot involving the old enemy Punch. I also really like how it’s clear there are holes in their knowledge of the supernatural, a whole lot is fudged and Peter, who has a scientific mind, is fully aware of how arrogance, ignorance and prejudice has informed the scholarship of people who came behind.

The plot as I’ve touched on, is excellent with a great combination of careful pacing, frustrating, when the police work is, fascinating and fun.

I also really like how this book approaches mental health - after all everyone here is doing a really hard job in very high risk conditions literally facing the complete unknown. I liked how they explored that, yes, some of these characters couldn’t take it and needed help,. I liked how no-one judged him as weak or fragile and even felt their own failures for not recognising he needed help. I like how when discussing policies they realised this is an important thing they need to pay attention to, I like how mental health is high on everyone’s priority and concern and it’s openly advocated

Source: www.fangsforthefantasy.com/2018/12/lies-sleeping-rivers-of-london-7-by-ben.html
review 2018-12-10 14:36
Monday Mini Review – Sleeping Beauties by Stephen & Owen King #StephenKing #OwenKing
Sleeping Beauties: A Novel - Stephen King,Owen King

Pretty cool cover for Sleeping Beauties by Stephen & Owen King.

Publisher:  Simon & Schuster

Sleeping Beauties

Amazon  /  Audible  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

Sleeping Beauties is a collaboration between Stephen & Owen King, so I don’t expect it to be a Stephen King ‘original’. That being said, I did enjoy the story, but was left wondering if Stephen has lost his mojo or is in semi retirement. I hope not, because I have read a vast majority of his work and would love to have more of the old stuff. What gripped me most about the book, is the importance of the women. Hey guys, take a listen here. BUT, women without men, or vice versa, is not a workable solution to any problem. This fantasy exposes human failings, sharing their hopelessness, sadness, anger and rage, good and bad, and every emotion you can imagine. In the end, we do the best we can. There are plenty of characters for you to love and hate, but be careful, your favorite may not survive.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos 4 Stars

GOODREADS BLURB

In a future so real and near it might be now, something happens when women go to sleep; they become shrouded in a cocoon-like gauze.

If they are awakened, and the gauze wrapping their bodies is disturbed or violated, the women become feral and spectacularly violent; and while they sleep they go to another place.

The men of our world are abandoned, left to their increasingly primal devices. One woman, however, the mysterious Evie, is immune to the blessing or curse of the sleeping disease.

Is Evie a medical anomaly to be studied, or is she a demon who must be slain?

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • I am an Amazon affiliate/product images are linked
  • Thanks for visitingl!
review 2018-11-20 22:27
Abandoning "Tantrics of Old"
Tantrics of Old - Krishnarjun Bhattacharya
Lies Sleeping - Ben Aaronovitch

I have been reading "Tantrics of Old" as my Diwali book for 24 Festive Task but I've reluctantly decided to DNF it at 30%.

The ideas behind the book are fascinating - a ruined but magical Old Kolkata contrasted with a clean and shiny New Kolkata that outlaws magic - a newish take on demons and witches and necromancers.

Sadly, the writing plods along, the structure of the storytelling is clumsy and the characters are too thinly drawn to care about.

When I found myself treating reading it as a chore I decided to DNF it.

So now I need another book for Diwali.

This time I'm going with: "a book that is the latest in a series".

The latest Peter Grant / Rivers of London book, "Lies Sleeping" dropped onto my audible TBR shelf this week so I'm picking that as the replacement.

I'm certain that reading it won't be a chore.

review 2018-10-23 04:56
Are You Sleeping?
Are You Sleeping - Kathleen L. Barber

Like most people who have weighed in on this book, I did find it fairly predictable, but still a decent read. I thought the comparison to Serial was misleading, because it was more of a knockoff, like a bad Rom-Com version of Serial, despite the heavy-sounding premise. While she tested my patience with characters whose dialogue (and actions) often defied believability, Barber's skill in pacing and an interesting narrative form kept me turning the pages. I did enjoy the family drama — the romantic tangles not so much. Despite the sometimes-clunky characters, I did finish, so I will be interested to see what Barber thinks of next.