logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Colors
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-09-10 03:50
Red is Best

Red is Best is about a little girl, Kelly, who loves the color red. She believes that red just makes everything better. When her mom tries to get her to wear a different color the Kelley replies with reasons why her favorite color is better than any other color. My favorite red item that Kelley owns are her red barrettes, because they make her hair laugh. Red is Best has simple illustrations with very few colors in the book. I believe that the book would be best used with students who need less illustrations or colors on the page in order to comprehend the text. In a small group, the teacher could ask comprehension questions about the text and have the students provide evidence for their answers. For example, the teacher could ask, Why did Kelley like her red cup more than her green cup? The student could respond with a quote from the book as well as the page number. The Fountas and Pinnell reading level is I.

review 2018-09-08 22:22
Coat of Many Colors
Coat of Many Colors - Dolly Parton,Judith Sutton

This book written by Dolly Parton is about a young girl who is in need of a winter coat. Her mother sews her a coat made of rags and the girls wears it to school. Her fellow classmates mock her for having a coat made of rags but she takes pride in her coat since every stitch is made with love.

With this book students could make a crafted coat out of different colors of paper and write positive words about themselves on each piece. The whole class could make a huge quilt using paper and each student could color one piece each and write one word to describe them on it.

Lexile: AD1040L

review 2018-09-08 21:55
The Colors of Us
The Colors of Us - Karen Katz

The Colors of Us offers children a perspective on how people come in many different colors and brown is not the only shade. Lena goes on a walk with her mother through her neighborhood and sees that everyone is different, but everyone is wonderful in their own way. I love this book, because it introduces a somewhat sensitive subject in a child-friendly way. I would have this book on display in my classroom library, so children can visit it and read it whenever they would like. I think this book would facilitate many great conversations and allow for children to see that everyone has differences, but we are all people.

Lexile: 370L

Fountas and Pinnell: K

review 2018-09-05 23:18
Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
Pete The Cat: I Love My White Shoes - Eric Litwin,James Dean

This energetic and fun story tells us about a cat who takes a stroll down the sidewalk in his new white shoes. Along the way he encounters items that turn his shoes all different colors. This story has a repetitive structure and sing-along elements that will keep all students engaged. It would be wonderful to read as a whole group and discuss the colors that are shown in the story. I would also use this as a choral reading activity since it does contain many repeated lines. Once we have read it a few times as a class I would put it in my listening center.

Fountas and Pinnell: K

show activity (+)
review 2018-07-18 23:51
Lost in Indigo (Colors of Love Book 1) by V. L. Locey 4 Star Review!
Lost in Indigo - V.L. Locey

Mathieu Beresford was so close to seeing his dream come true.

The thirty-eight-year-old captain of the Buffalo Surge had led his team to the final round of the playoffs with his aggressive defensive play and leadership. During the first game of the championship series, he was taken down, and his leg snapped upon impact with the boards. From his hospital bed, Mathieu watched his team go on to win it all.

Adrift in anger, resentment, and the new direction of his life, he returns to his mansion along the St. Lawrence River. Alone and sulking, Mathieu is not prepared for Indigo Neu to enter his life. The genderflux twenty-year-old botany major signs on to play nursemaid, confidant, and groundskeeper over the summer and slowly leads Mathieu out of his confusion––one tender smile and touch at a time.

The deeper Mathieu falls, the more he wonders if being lost might not be so bad after all.

Review

I am excited about the start of V.L Locey new series Colors of Love.

This first book in series gives us an age gap romance set on the stunning St. Lawerence River between a pro hockey player and a college student doing gardening for the summer.

There are a great deal of common tropes here but I think what the book does really well as look at the costs of being closeted as Mat is. It also takes seriously the struggle of coming out in a religous culture (in this case French Canadian Catholic) and when you are from the generation of men just after the highest point of the AIDS epidemic.

I was a young adult during these time period and newly out as bisexual and going to my first Prides and much of my activism intersected with what was happening in the community around AIDS so I think I have a special infinity for stories that blend the arc of recent LGBTQA history into the characters.

Mat and Indigo are instantly attracted. The love that builds between them is that young tender first love through they both are far from virgins. Indigo's identity as genderflux layers into the plot.

Indigo does think he can handle a relationship on the down low. But he cant's and Mat is confronting the end of his career and coming out.

Despite the high drama of some of the plot points the overall tone of book is sweet and reflective.

We get a lovely HEA.