logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Colors
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2018-07-18 23:51
Lost in Indigo (Colors of Love Book 1) by V. L. Locey 4 Star Review!
Lost in Indigo - V.L. Locey

Mathieu Beresford was so close to seeing his dream come true.

The thirty-eight-year-old captain of the Buffalo Surge had led his team to the final round of the playoffs with his aggressive defensive play and leadership. During the first game of the championship series, he was taken down, and his leg snapped upon impact with the boards. From his hospital bed, Mathieu watched his team go on to win it all.

Adrift in anger, resentment, and the new direction of his life, he returns to his mansion along the St. Lawrence River. Alone and sulking, Mathieu is not prepared for Indigo Neu to enter his life. The genderflux twenty-year-old botany major signs on to play nursemaid, confidant, and groundskeeper over the summer and slowly leads Mathieu out of his confusion––one tender smile and touch at a time.

The deeper Mathieu falls, the more he wonders if being lost might not be so bad after all.

Review

I am excited about the start of V.L Locey new series Colors of Love.

This first book in series gives us an age gap romance set on the stunning St. Lawerence River between a pro hockey player and a college student doing gardening for the summer.

There are a great deal of common tropes here but I think what the book does really well as look at the costs of being closeted as Mat is. It also takes seriously the struggle of coming out in a religous culture (in this case French Canadian Catholic) and when you are from the generation of men just after the highest point of the AIDS epidemic.

I was a young adult during these time period and newly out as bisexual and going to my first Prides and much of my activism intersected with what was happening in the community around AIDS so I think I have a special infinity for stories that blend the arc of recent LGBTQA history into the characters.

Mat and Indigo are instantly attracted. The love that builds between them is that young tender first love through they both are far from virgins. Indigo's identity as genderflux layers into the plot.

Indigo does think he can handle a relationship on the down low. But he cant's and Mat is confronting the end of his career and coming out.

Despite the high drama of some of the plot points the overall tone of book is sweet and reflective.

We get a lovely HEA.

review 2018-06-05 00:00
24 Colors
24 Colors - Kozue Chiba ⭐️3.5 stars⭐️
show activity (+)
review 2018-05-21 00:16
WINNING COLORS by ELIZABETH MOON
Winning Colors - Elizabeth Moon

I read a review where the reviewer complained about all the horse talk. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but there was still a ton. I've never been into horses which I think is because as a teenager I rode a horse once without a saddle. He tried to buck me off, and when he finally stopped, I tried to get off, however, his giant shlonge came out so I had to do a kind of slide/hop back so I wouldn't accidentally touch it with my foot. It's just like a dog (well a lot bigger), it's all wet. Yuck! So, not a big fan. I think they're pretty from afar.

Not enough Heris. I don't know if the author was trying to rope in younger readers but I didn't enjoy it as much as the other books in the series. I'm still going to work my way through, but I'm hoping the future books are more about Heris (or Cecilia as long as there's not too much horse talk).

review 2018-01-30 02:18
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons - Eric Litwin,James Dean

I adore Pete the Cat! Whether he is rocking in his school shoes, magic sunglasses, or his groovy buttons, all kids love Pete. This particular book would be great for sequencing, number recognition, or color recognition. I've had the pleasure of watching a class play bingo while listening to the audiobook. It was a fun activity that had them on the edge of their seats!

Lexile - AD350L

review 2018-01-20 21:21
The Crayon Sequel
The Day the Crayons Came Home - Drew Daywalt,Oliver Jeffers

"The Day the Crayons Came Home, the sequel to Daywalt's best seller, "The Day the Crayons Quit, is quite possibly funnier than the first. This time the crayons are writing Duncan on postcards, from various places he has left and forgotten about them, letting him know they are very upset! The humor in this book is so fun to read and makes it easy to get into character. Again, the illustrations are colorful, funny, and some realistic. The children can relate to these illustrations because they are drawn on a young artist's level. Even some of the silly names of crayons are included in the story. This story could be used as an introduction to writing letters and how to address the person they are writing to. I would keep on the shelf for a fun read also!

Lexile: AD550L