logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Colors
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-01-17 23:11
Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
Pete The Cat: I Love My White Shoes - Eric Litwin,James Dean

Pete the Cat is a fun book for children to explore colors, repetition, prediction, or Cause and Effect. Pete the Cat is walking along in his white shoes when he steps into piles of strawberries, blueberries, mud, and water. Each time that Pete steps into a pile of something it dyes his white shoes a different color before stepping into water and it washing his shoes clean- but then his shoes are wet! Does Pete let this bother him? "Goodness No!" A fun activity that could engage students following this story is having students color a pair of white shoes. They have to indicate what they "stepped in" to make their shoes turn the color they colored them. But it cannot be something that Pete stepped in. For example, I could color a pair of shoes purple and say that I stepped in grapes. You could also have the buckets of things Pete stepped in and then have students match them to the color that his shoes on little cards turned to introduce cause and effect.

review 2018-09-10 03:50
Red is Best

Red is Best is about a little girl, Kelly, who loves the color red. She believes that red just makes everything better. When her mom tries to get her to wear a different color the Kelley replies with reasons why her favorite color is better than any other color. My favorite red item that Kelley owns are her red barrettes, because they make her hair laugh. Red is Best has simple illustrations with very few colors in the book. I believe that the book would be best used with students who need less illustrations or colors on the page in order to comprehend the text. In a small group, the teacher could ask comprehension questions about the text and have the students provide evidence for their answers. For example, the teacher could ask, Why did Kelley like her red cup more than her green cup? The student could respond with a quote from the book as well as the page number. The Fountas and Pinnell reading level is I.

review 2018-09-08 22:22
Coat of Many Colors
Coat of Many Colors - Dolly Parton,Judith Sutton

This book written by Dolly Parton is about a young girl who is in need of a winter coat. Her mother sews her a coat made of rags and the girls wears it to school. Her fellow classmates mock her for having a coat made of rags but she takes pride in her coat since every stitch is made with love.

With this book students could make a crafted coat out of different colors of paper and write positive words about themselves on each piece. The whole class could make a huge quilt using paper and each student could color one piece each and write one word to describe them on it.

Lexile: AD1040L

review 2018-09-08 21:55
The Colors of Us
The Colors of Us - Karen Katz

The Colors of Us offers children a perspective on how people come in many different colors and brown is not the only shade. Lena goes on a walk with her mother through her neighborhood and sees that everyone is different, but everyone is wonderful in their own way. I love this book, because it introduces a somewhat sensitive subject in a child-friendly way. I would have this book on display in my classroom library, so children can visit it and read it whenever they would like. I think this book would facilitate many great conversations and allow for children to see that everyone has differences, but we are all people.

Lexile: 370L

Fountas and Pinnell: K

review 2018-09-05 23:18
Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes
Pete The Cat: I Love My White Shoes - Eric Litwin,James Dean

This energetic and fun story tells us about a cat who takes a stroll down the sidewalk in his new white shoes. Along the way he encounters items that turn his shoes all different colors. This story has a repetitive structure and sing-along elements that will keep all students engaged. It would be wonderful to read as a whole group and discuss the colors that are shown in the story. I would also use this as a choral reading activity since it does contain many repeated lines. Once we have read it a few times as a class I would put it in my listening center.

Fountas and Pinnell: K