logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Comedy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-27 18:25
Since I'm not reading for spirituality's sake
The Divine Comedy - Eugenio Montale,Sandro Botticelli,Peter Armour,Dante Alighieri,Allen Mandelbaum

Done! *cheers* (and an abrupt end it was)

I confess I started to loose my enthusiasm by Purgatory, and Paradiso veritably dragged for me.

Inferno is indeed the most interesting, likely because it concentrates more on describing the poetic (and in many cases gruesome) justice inflicted there.

Purgatory gets a bit wishy washy because we are even more deluged with contemporary examples, which was exhausting from a "pausing to research WTF" whenever I needed context to understand the grade, and felt like self indulgent page bloating when I didn't. And then we get to Eden, pretty cavalcade of symbolism lead by the still much discussed mystery that is Matilda, and meet Beatriz. Ahhhh, the lady herself, that symbolizes theology. Maybe it is no wonder I found her supercilious and overly jealous.

I have to praise Dante's balls: first he aligns himself equal among Homer, Ovid and Virgil in that Limbo chat, and here he places his lady love highly enthroned in the Empireum, representing the Dogma by which he knows God.

If I could leave Paradiso just taking away that love has been his salvation and his way to heaven, we'd be good. But no, he had to insist on hammering until rigid conformity to scripture was reached. Thorough what felt like endless proselytizing (hey, I know it is my fault, because what was I expecting, right?) and pointing fingers of doom everywhere (the amount of eggs thrown the church's way! And his political enemies... you bet this got him the exile prophesied to him here).

Also, even considering some pretty descriptions, the spheres felt lame and boring reward (and here I'm reminded of Huxley calling happiness undramatic and boring, and Le Guin criticizing those that think "Only pain is intellectual, only evil interesting"). Where is the imaginative poetic justice of the first third? Methinks Dante got too tangled in the discussion of virtues and splitting hairs on their display levels. So yeah, I get the whole "watching god and feeling his light is rapture beyond comprehension", I'm still contending that the theological got in the way of the literary, and there goes one star. Sue me.

review 2018-09-28 07:15
Success
Simply Irresistible (Flatiron Five) - Deborah Cooke

Tyler finds himself trapped in a mess of his own making.  He solves it by asking out the smart and beautiful Amy.  He has wanted to talk to her for a while.

Amy always feels like she is not enough.  She has trouble from her past that she hopes to never see again.  Will getting involved with Tyler's plan ruin everything?

Loved this story.  So excited to read the rest of the series.  These characters were so meant to be.  I loved the humor, the heat, and the sexy was out of this world hot!  I thought is was great and cannot wait for the next book in the Flatiron Five series.  I give this a 5/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

review 2018-09-11 00:40
Unconventionally Honest
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life - Mark Manson

I recently finished listening to "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck" in audible. I used to listen to a little while of it whenever I walked my dog, and it took me quite a long time to get to the end.

I found this book to be very fun to hear. It has many interesting ideas and views that actually make you reflect for a while on how you see the world, in a hilarious but honest way. Some of the main focuses are how you choose your values (how you measure yourself and your success) and, well, how you choose what to give a f*ck about. Mark Manson's narrative voice kept me engaged at all times, as he did not leave his ideas in just theory, but used anecdotes (many times funny, many times painfully honest) and examples to help explain his point. I personally loved all the historic figures and various people he mentioned to illustrate his ideas. Reading or listening to a narrator who was not afraid to curse or to laugh at himself was very refreshing, and in my opinion this was a great companion for my walks.

review 2018-09-09 19:57
Sideways Stories From Wayside School - Louis Sachar,Adam McCauley

Wayside School was supposed to have 30 classrooms all next to each other on lone level, but in an architectural accident it was built sideways instead. Now 30 stories high with classrooms one on top of another hilarious stories begin to emerge.

Along the way we meet Mrs. Gorf the meanest teacher of all and Todd who always gets sent home early. John who can only read upside down and more kids from this crazy mixed up school.

A great independent reader for students. Students can practice their predicting skills as they try and figure out what will happen to Wayside next. Then they can try and create their own sideways story to include or illustrate what they think Wayside looks like.

Lexile: 460L

review 2018-09-09 18:58
Diary of a Wombat - Jackie French,Bruce Whatley

Read along as a wombat takes us on a journey of her week - digging holes, sleeping, eating, and training the new neighbors. Wombats can get into lots of trouble during the course of a week.

Students will laugh as the wombat wreaks havoc. After reading students can write their own animal diaries and come up with fun scenarios for their animals to be in.

Lexile: 390L