logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Comics
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-26 12:23
Jessica Jones: Alias, Vol. 1 !!!
Jessica Jones: Alias Vol. 1 (Alias (2001-2003)) - Michael Gaydos,David Mack,Brian Michael Bendis,Bill Sienkiewicz

Thank god Prime Reading is a thing now and I could actually read this volume for free. YOU GO, AMAZON!!!

I loved this A LOT.

Since I watched the show Jessica Jones is like one of my favorite people, so I was really excited to read more stuff about her and I'm so glad that I finally got the chance.

I loved all the stories.

The artwork wasn't my thing from time to time, but that was totally okay. Cause I got more Jessica Jones in my life and that's all that I wanted and needed.

review 2017-06-23 14:52
The Life and Death of Martha Washington
The Life and Times of Martha Washington in the Twenty-first Century (Second Edition) - Dave Gibbons,Angus McKie,Frank Miller

The first time I read Give Me Liberty, it was in the late 1990s. I was working as a sales assistant in a comic specialty shop and the owner had actual copies of single issues of a very hard to find mini-series. It blew me away after I read it and I never thought how beautiful Martha Washington was, that strong female leads do make a difference then. It was then, I did not follow up any of its sequels... until the release of The Life and Times of Martha Washington in the Twenty-First Century was released, a complete chronicles of her life since birth until death.

Re-reading Give Me Liberty was so refreshing. If there is any thing about Martha Washington that she was born in 1995 in a ghetto so poor, that the US government housed these poor people into what was meant to be a social welfare but turns out to be a prison. From there, we get to know how smart she is with computers. Right up to the 21st century, the world that we know of is different. Its a different Earth and its a mess-up one. But do not get me wrong, I love how the creation of this universe is and with Martha Washington in it, you will understand what Give Me Liberty really means.

After the first series, the sequels came in (Martha Washington Goes To War, Happy Birthday Martha Washington, Martha Washington Stranded in Space, Martha Washington Saves The World & Martha Washington Dies) and what was a brilliant created universe from Frank Miller and beautifully drawn by Dave Gibbons, the same award-winning creators of DC's The Watchmen, every thing just felt spiraling down hill. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy some bits and pieces of it. I can see the evolution of change in the art from the earlier days of when Give Me Liberty was published in 1990. It was much later that I felt the consistency and the beauty of the art was gone. Same goes for the sequels that felt more like fillers. Until towards the end, was it a fitting ending? Well, to me it already felt what was kept as a universe that is messed-up truly stays true and that is more than enough to enjoy reading it.

Martha Washington is a strong female character that truly is a rarity at that time for female leads in the comic industry then. She was the Ellen Ripley of the Alien universe - strong, brave and justifiable. Besides Wonder Woman, Martha Washington was the only female comic book character that do stands out because of her beliefs and what was written the experience and journey she went through. As the rest of the characters, not many of them stayed long. I always wonder what happen to Raggyann and it was not explained. Still, I am glad I found a copy of this and able to read her whole journey. Thank you Frank Miller & Dave Gibbons for creating such a wonderful series. Without you guys, change will never happen and Martha Washington shows us that change and righting wrong is what hope is.

review 2017-06-22 23:56
Lovely!
Think Tank #1 - Matt Hawkins,Rahsan Ekedal

I wasn't into this, not the first time I tried to read this, and not at the beginning.   It's pretty typical in some ways: a DARPA scientist feels guilty about creating weapons and wants out.  In fact, I've seen this time and again in sci-fi/comics.   I didn't really see anything in the writing or art to make this original, but the second time around, I was just blown away by the art.   I must have been in a really bad mood, or place, the first time around, because I can't come up with any other reason for me to dismiss this eventually.

The writing, and storyline, got much more interesting as we learn what the main character will choose to work on, and I suspect he'll try to use it to escape DARPA.   But for now, I knocked off one star because I'm not incredibly into this.

The art, though?  I would try anything else by this artist.   Black and white, expressive, beautiful, I just can't get enough of this art.   Honestly, this was going to be a three star review, and would have been, if I hadn't been so blown away by the art.

review 2017-06-14 18:44
Miya was my real issue
Soulfire: Chaos Reign - J.T. Krul

I don't like the main character: didn't when she was introduced, still don't.   Decent storyline, writing, and art, but nothing exceptional.

review 2017-06-14 13:18
Two more samples
FCBD: Worlds of Aspen 2014 (FCBD 2014 Worlds of Aspen) - Vince Hernandez,Peter Steigerwald,Peter Steigerwald,Mirka Andolfo

Aspen's Worlds of Aspen are previews and samples, as far as I can tell.  Then again, the DC ones are either free issues - or previews and samples.   Marvel gives us new short stories, two per issue, and other companies do any of these things.   My point is that previews and samples aren't unheard of, and I know that I might get them in these freebies.   Then again, I'm not disillusioned: Free Comic Book Day is not only a celebration of the love of comics, and a way to give back to the fans, but also something that the companies are using to try and sell more comics.

I've come to think of Aspen's FCBD like the samples at Trader Joe's.   I might like what I get, and I might not, but I appreciate the free taste so I know what I'm buying.   (Or not buying.)  It's free, so I can't really find it in me to begrudge them choosing what to sample, and I know I'll be buying, well, more of the same, but I'm also usually happy to try something new.

Which is why I'm happy to read these, even when I won't continue on with the series.   Damsels in Excess is a good example: I like the eventual reveal, the premise of this series, but its' also done like a princess reality show.   And I'm not a reality show person.   The execution is actually quite clever, but it's also something I don't enjoy.  Since I'm getting into this publisher, I like knowing what I enjoy and what I don't.   (And it's not possible for one publisher to pander exclusively to one person, or for one person to enjoy 100% of what they publish because of that first fact.   I don't expect to love everything Aspen puts out, but this helps me decide what to continue with.)

I think I will follow up on Zoohunters, though.  I love the main character, an interstellar poacher who has morals.   She will get the animals, but not harm them in the process.   When she sees an animal being abused by another poacher, she decides to buy it, even though the price is... bizarre.

I also like the world: it looks like a fun, space opera type adventure, and I had enough fun with the sample that I want to continue.