logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Conspiracy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-07-12 21:05
A Conspiracy of Whispers by Ada Harper - My Thoughts
A Conspiracy of Whispers - Karen Harper

This was a fun, action-packed, sexy, romantic, delightful read!  Recommended on Twitter by Bree, one half of the Kit Rocha writing team, it seemed this was the book EVERYONE in Romancelandia was reading last week.  :)  I had a bit of a worry at the back of my mind that this could be another case of me hating a romance that everyone else was head over heals for (ie: The Bollywood Bride), but quite happily, I loved it!

So it's a sci-fi, post-apocalyptic, hints of fantasy book, peopled with a truly diverse cast of characters.  Two nations, very different in most ways, one a very technical, almost robotic type of nation and the other more future-medievalish.  The heroine is a trained assassin from the former and MAN, is she one helluva badass!  The hero is the brother to the leader of the latter, the general of her armies and he's pretty damned badass himself!

Not only is there all the action part of the story - plots, wars, fights, murders, espionage, escapes etc...; there is also the theme of consent and equality and possession and justice for everyone that runs through it.  And you're not getting lectured, thank God, 'cause I'd have DNFed it right away had I felt I was being lectured, it's just the tale of these civilisations in the beginning of a period of upheaval being told.

It was a great story, peopled with endearing characters, a tale of love and soulmates (which I don't normally go for, yet, it worked for me here) as well as friendships and found families and I totally enjoyed it!  Looking forward to the next book!

review 2018-07-11 03:33
Scared The Crap Out Of Me – The China Conspiracy by P M Terrell @pmterrell
The China Conspiracy - P. M. Terrell

The China Conspiracy by P M Terrell is an awesome political thriller that kept me reading beginning to end. I can see why her stories are so good. Take a gander at her bio and you will see what I mean.

The China Conspiracy

Amazon  /  Goodreads

MY REVIEW

The ominous opening and a bang bang has me riveted to the pages. P M Terrell wasted not ime in sharing the action and mystery.

Bu the time I got to Chapter 5, all the red flags are flying, waving madly. Am I right to be so suspicious of…well, you didn’t think I was going to tell ya did ya? lol

P M Terrell’s writing sets a pace that draws me so deeply into her world, I sometimes forget I am reading fiction.

Kit’s husband, is he a bad guy? Well, definitely not in the way I thought.

I love the way Kit handles her personal situation. Strong, dignified and FINAL! Have I made you curious yet?

It is P M Terrell’s ability to create such wonderful characters, with the writing and dialogue, that makes me feel as if I know them personally.

Danger, politics, conspiracy, traitors, greed, power hungry politicians, rigged elections…it almost makes me feel as if I am reading current events, even though it was published in 2003.

I am on page 323 of a paperback and my heart fell. Was her trust misplaced? Was he duped?  The book is 349 pages and I wonder how P M Terrell is going to end the story in a way that will make me happy. BUT, I have no fear…well, almost no fear. She has never let me down.

If you are a conspiracy fan, which I sure am, this is a must read. I also take it as a dire warning of current and future events revolving around our most basic right…the right to vote.

P M Terrell kept me going from beginning to end. It was white knuckled reading that not only blew me away and scared the crap out of me, it pissed me off. Now that is what I call a great book. Emotions bubbling to the surface as I read through the pages…what more can I ask for?

I voluntarily reviewed a free copy of The China Conspiracy by P M Terrell.

Animated Animals. Pictures, Images and Photos  5 Stars

READ MORE HERE

MY REVIEWS FOR P M TERRELL

• You can see my Giveaways HERE.
  • You can see my Reviews HERE.
  • animated smilies photo: animated animated.gif
  • If you like what you see, why don’t you follow me?
  • Leave your link in the comments and I will drop by to see what’s shakin’.
  • Thanks for visitingl!
Source: www.fundinmental.com/scared-the-crap-out-of-me-the-china-conspiracy-by-p-m-terrell-pmterrell
review 2018-07-04 01:05
Conspiracy of Fools: A True Story by Kurt Eichenwald
Conspiracy of Fools: A True Story - Kurt Eichenwald

A political and financial thriller, a page turner....and it's non-fiction. Eichenwald shows, rather than tells, the rise of a little known or respected oil and gas pipeline company named Enron into the behemoth that was destroyed by incompentence, greed, mismanagement, and utter willful ignorance. This is a long book, but I didn't notice as I flew through chapter after chapter (675 pages of text, the rest is source notes and index).

And yet there were people inside both Enron and Arthur Andersen who saw what was going on, turned on the lights and sirens, and got crapped on repeatedly. Those folks are doing okay (some doing better than okay) and are vindicated at the end. Surprisingly, 9/11 and the economic fall out from it only played a small part in kicking off the panic that led to the bankruptcy - so Enron and Arthur Andersen were doomed by their own employees to go down in flames.

Such a great read. Highly recommend.

review 2018-03-26 19:35
Dense, interwoven historic fiction within a conspiracy-mystery frame story
Minds of Winter - Ed O'Loughlin

Remarkable work of historical fiction. Intricate in structure, convincing and meticulous in detail, and surprisingly engrossing in character, this novel avoids typical plot, organization, and closure in favour of more challenging choices.

The modern-day frame story is of two lost souls in the high Canadian Arctic and, oddly, a historic marine chronometer. Nelson's brother (recent) and Faye's grandfather (long past) went missing in the area - but they're not there on a Dan Brown-esque mystery-thriller search for the truth. This case of missing, confused, and obfuscated identities resists such tidy progressions. Instead, the unlikely couple stumble their way into uncertain discoveries of questionable validity based on documents left behind by Nelson's apparently-missing brother. This modern day progression is interspersed with "found" documents and firsthand accounts of explorers, adventurers, and secret-history-movers of the last two centuries prodding at the edges of the unknown on journeys that range from Australia to the Arctic and very nearly everywhere in between. The dots don't connect - or maybe they do - but the real surprise is how enjoyable the ride is.

I don't usually enjoy fiction that lacks the classic rise-and-fall story arc or that evade neatly-wrapped endings, but the unconventional format of this book somehow worked for me. Strong research, a talent for authentic(-seeming) voice, and telling details bring to life far-flung locations and eras long since passed. I couldn't keep track of the location, time, character, and (potential, suggested, unconfirmed) links between the jumps for most of the book - and in fact, once I thought I'd worked out the trajectory, this book happily dumped the drawer upside down on me once more. In effect, the experience is like reading a loosely-linked series of short stories or historic records. I'm not sure if it's the inherently fraught circumstances of so many of the players, the exotically far-reaching locales, or the promise of a mystery to untangle, but this dense, interwoven narrative completely held my attention. Highly recommended read.

review 2018-03-25 23:16
The Butterfly Conspiracy
The Butterfly Conspiracy: A Merriweather and Royston Mystery - Vivian Conroy

A captivating historical cozy mystery, The Butterfly Conspiracy is an excellent debut to a new series! Suspenseful and thrilling, I was immediately sucked into the Victorian world superbly created, with intriguing characters and a puzzling plot that kept me turning pages.

I liked the dynamic between Royston and Merula. She's wasn't a passive Victorian flower, he wasn't a man strong-arming her into being a passive Victorian flower. Although the possibility for a romance was hinted at, it wasn't overt and took a backseat to the plot. I appreciated that, just like in food, the best flavors are in the background as an enhancement. It also leaves the door open to future story lines, and I look forward to seeing how their relationship develops.

The plot was intriguing; at a zoological meeting, Merula unveils the exotic butterfly she has cultivated. Because she is a woman, Merula's Uncle Rupert agrees to take the credit, but when a woman dies after the butterfly lands on Lady Sophia's arm and she falls over, dead, Uncle Rupert is accused of murder. Determined to clear his name, Merula teams up with Lord Royston, uncovering many motives and suspects while pursued by the police. I have no idea if the method of death is feasible or not, but it wasn't something I've ever seen before and really enjoyed it, as well as the surprising and exciting ending.