logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Contemporary
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-05-29 04:08
Skios - Michael Frayn
Skios - Michael Frayn

Wow! I can't think when I last read a farce, let alone enjoyed one. Probably it was Noises Off. It's difficult to maintain the suspension of disbelief in a text; in a play or film the pace of the action doesn't give one time to consider just how silly, how contrived, how unnatural the whole exercise is. And because Frayn is very skilled, he keeps one from dwelling on how absurd it is, while never forgetting for an instant just how absurd it is.

I don't think I actually laughed out loud, but I loved every silly minute of it.

Library copy

review 2017-05-28 13:57
creepy
Pictures of You - Diane M. Dickson

atmospheric and creepy book about a lodger with an obsession.

review 2017-05-28 05:58
Renewal
Hard Stick: A Breakaway Novel - L.P. Dover

Kristen has a sudden life changing incident occur.  She ends up living in another location with a new name.  She has had so much upheaval lately that nothing feels right.  Not until she meets someone who makes her feel safe and whole again.

Kellan has wanted Kristen to give him the time of day for some time.  He wants to show her he is no longer the type of guy she thinks he is.  He wants someone forever, not just a one night stand.

This story is sweet and sexy.  I found myself eagerly turning the pages!  I loved how charming and protective the leading man is.  The hot men that are in this series make me eager for the next installment to come.  I give this book a 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This ARC copy was given by Netgalley and its publishers, in exchange for an honest review only.

review 2017-05-28 05:00
Changing
Grand Slam (The Boys of Summer) - Heidi McLaughlin

This book is #3, in The Boys Of Summer series.  This book can be read as a standalone novel.  For reader enjoyment and understanding, I recommend reading series in order.

Travis is already taken.  It's just that the woman he wants does not know it yet.  She won't let him close.  The past for her, is a painful place that may come back to haunt them in the present.

Saylor wants Travis.  All the time.  She has to work with him.  Her feelings can be a dangerous thing.  How do you build a future if you are chained to the past?

This series is really building momentum!  I found these characters to be very easy to read.  The banter was good and helped build the heat.  I hope to see more of this series!  I give this story a 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This ARC copy was given in exchange of an honest review by Netgalley and its publishers.

review 2017-05-27 05:39
Baby Track - Barbara Boswell

Well...after you get past the whole stink eye that the first couple of chapters cause, not bad.

Ok. Our H is...I don't know what he is. He investigates things, then turns his notes over to a tabloid writer. Our h holds a position with a network that kinda sounds like all those dull documentary type networks - no clue what that position is though. They're after the same guy. So...the H goes to tell her to back off. This is where the book starts mind you - him barging in on her, getting up in her business, freaking her out, snacking on her lunch, etc. IOW, being an overbearing jackass. I got that. I even got her freaking out. What I didn't get is her secretary or whatever she was not calling the police.

Of course, the two rush into a fake marriage to pretend to adopt in order to get dirt on the guy. He doesn't bother to hide his identity (kinda dumb) and the guy rushes through the process of getting them a baby, like within a day. See... his real dad and the guy are friends, the guy is very much aware of who he is and...yeah.

There is a car accident that conveniently leaves him amnesiac so he and the h can fall for each other (not that the h had to fall very far, but he's a commitment-phobe), he regains his memory but doesn't tell her (waiting for her to say something actually), meets his dad, straightens things out. She bolts, he chases her down, they have a discussion and HEA.

The amnesia was used for a lot of purposes I think - he'd never actually met his dad, nor wanted to, but without the memory, was ok with it. The one he considered "dad" had told him when he was 13 that he wasn't his kid, and that they were paid to take him. Told him who his real dad was. Left out the part that his mom really was his mom though. Strangely enough, he didn't really seem to react to that.