logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Courtney-Summers
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-12-04 04:46
Courtney Summers: Sadie
Sadie - Courtney Summers

Courtney Summer follows the path of a missing girl and her journey of revenge:

Sadie has had to grow up very early in life from her mother's constant use of alcohol to the never ending men she brought home, Sadie has had to take care of herself and sister for a long time. This was especially true when their mother left them. Sadie dropped out of school and did everything she could to support Mattie and let her have a normal life. But when Mattie is found dead everything in her life crumbles. Sadie is determined to prove who murdered Mattie, in fact she's pretty sure she knows who did it and finding him will be the biggest challenge. West McCray is doing a segment about small town America when he hears about Sadie's story. Something about the story and Sadie herself compels him to not only tell Sadie's story but to find her as well, hopefully before it is too late.

Sadie is one of the BEST books that I have read this year and I didn't even see it coming. It was recommended to me at the library and I thought why not I can give it a try. What occurred was a book that is filled a journey that is like any other that I have ever read that you will not want to put it down. You get sucked right into the story of Sadie and not only her journey for revenge but the hunt for her as well. This book has some content that is hard to read, mainly child abuse/molestation/murder and alcoholism so there could be triggers for some as Summers does not shy away from these harder aspects of Sadie's life and she does not romanticizes them either, if anything she tells them in all their gritty detail.

Honestly, how can you not like Sadie more and more as you read this book. She made every sacrifice she could to help Mattie. As you read farther into the book you become more and more invested in her  and what she is trying to achieve as well as West's attempt to find her. You also get hints of what her life was life before all this happened and you can only use the words strong and resilient to characterizer her.

This book is told from Sadie's point of view and a serialized podcast produced by West, where he is trying to put together what happened to Mattie as well as trying to find Sadie. From the podcast we get additional information and points of view as West interviews people who the girls know and came into contact with. Due to the fact that we get these interviews happened after Sadie left there are time that you as the readers know more about Sadie and where she has been and what has happened to her before those in the podcast do. Usually, I would fault the book for this as you are waiting for characters to catch up to you, but it just works in this story.

The ending will not be for everyone and I applaud Summers for ending it in the way she did and I feel like Summers did this book and topic justice and kept it as real as she possible could. I'm interested in reading another book Summers, and I HIGHLY recommended this book.

Enjoy!!!

If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
http://j9books.blogspot.com/2011/05/xavier-leret-heaven-sent.html  http://j9books.blogspot.com/2013/02/alex-adams-white-horse.html http://j9books.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-j-myrfield-dagger-of-souls.html

review SPOILER ALERT! 2019-11-28 07:57
Book review: Sadie courtney summers

October 27-November 28

A missing girl on a journey of revenge and a Serial-like podcast following the clues she's left behind.

Sadie hasn't had an easy life. Growing up on her own, she's been raising her sister Mattie in an isolated small town, trying her best to provide a normal life and keep their heads above water.

But when Mattie is found dead, Sadie's entire world crumbles. After a somewhat botched police investigation, Sadie is determined to bring her sister's killer to justice and hits the road following a few meager clues to find him.

When West McCray—a radio personality working on a segment about small, forgotten towns in America—overhears Sadie's story at a local gas station, he becomes obsessed with finding the missing girl. He starts his own podcast as he tracks Sadie's journey, trying to figure out what happened, hoping to find her before it's too late.

Courtney Summers has written the breakout book of her career. Sadie is propulsive and harrowing and will keep you riveted until the last page.

Trigger warning pedophilia sexual assault
Review:
This book was a really interesting read I highly recommend the audiobook it was really highly produced .
So this book is told in two POV a podcast called the girls and Sadie's point of view. Sadie's younger sister maddie has been murdered and sadie knows who it was and wants to kill him . West the guy doing the podcast is trying to find out about sadie . Sadie finds out information about Keith who is really jack from a woman who dated him and left him cause of his interest. Sadie finds Marley brother silas but first she found his kids and a guy named Javi who she let herself for awhile like but then she stalks silas and finds some unsettling things and tells javi to call the police on him and he does get arrested thankfully. West is still finding out information about sadie and interviewing people she was using her middle name with people she was meeting . Sadie gets a motel room and finds this is a place Keith/jack stayed she has to get into that room so she does and she finds trofies from other girls hes abused with that she finds him and there was an altercation and I think we can guess what happened. West finds the last woman he was with Amanda and her daughter who was abused also jack is dead from an untreated stab wound probably from sadie . The ending yes it's not satisfying but I think its realistic cause sometimes girls dont get found but I think we can guess jack killed sadie and he killed madie the DNA matched that so at least that was solved .

Quotes :
And it begins, as so many stories do, with a dead girl

But love is complicated, it’s messy. It can inspire selflessness, selfishness, our greatest accomplishments and our hardest mistakes. It brings us together and it can just as easily drive us apart.

I wish this was a love story. A love story about lovers whose mouths meet like two puzzle pieces fitting perfectly into place, about the electric feeling of one person’s name on the other’s tongue because no one has ever spoken them out loud like that before. About people who spend the night together looking at the stars until entire constellations exist within them. Everyone is perfect in that indistinct way most characters are and every perfectly constructed scene in their fictional lives is somehow more real than anything you’ve known or lived. Love stories, romances, leave a person secure in the knowledge they’ll end Happily Ever After and who wouldn’t want a story like that? I wish this was a love story because I know how it goes in one like mine, where the only moments of reprieve are the spaces between its lines. But here’s the thing I tell myself to dull the sharp edges of everything that’s surely left to come: The worst has already happened.

And Sadie, if you’re out there, please let me know. Because I can’t take another dead girl.”

review 2019-07-12 20:43
Review on Sadie

I love this book!!

It's an amazing thriller and I really enjoyed it.

It's told in the perspective of Sadie and in the podcast The Girls.

It's written very well.

5/5 stars

review 2019-01-01 23:04
Sadie by Courtney Summers
Sadie - Courtney Summers

Trigger Warning: pedophilia, sexual abuse, drug addiction. All I can say is a book you would want to go into carefully if you are triggered by disturbing content.

***

I'm not a parent, but this was hard for me to read; of course, my mind was on my nieces and the other children I know, and children/people who have gone missing/murdered in general. I've always had an interest in True Crime; because I feel like no matter how long it has been, crimes need to be solved, justice needs to be served and friends and family need closure.

So many people get forgotten about or fall through the cracks and never reported missing in the first place. People who talk about True Crime topics keeps victims names out there so that we won't forget about them.

This book was hard to read. It was so real. So raw. I enjoyed the way it was written. It had me on the edge of my seat. Listening and reading at the same time really enhanced the experience, because half of this is in podcast format.

The ending made me cry. I can't even imagine living the horrors in this book. Mattie's murder, what Sadie, Mattie, and the other girls experienced at the hands of

"Keith"

(spoiler show)

and others like him, and the grief of a parent when they find out what happened to their child.

show activity (+)
review 2018-10-22 18:20
Sadie by Courtney Summers
Sadie - Courtney Summers

Sadie is only 19 but she has had a rough life. Her father is non-existent, her mother is a junkie. Sadie’s only bright light is her younger sister Mattie who she has basically raised as her own child. Their sister/mother figure relationship is complicated but Sadie loves Mattie more than anything in life. And then Mattie is murdered. This is not a spoiler. It is revealed in the very beginning. Sadie spends the book on an unwavering mission to track down Mattie’s killer and murder him.

“I’m going to carve my name into his soul.”

Ouch this book. It is raw and realistic and if you love a story full of grit and vengeance and despair, boy are you going to enjoy this one.

The way this story is told is unique, at least to me. It’s told from Sadie’s point of view but there’s also a podcast called “The Girls” that is attempting to provide insight into the story of Sadie and Mattie. I highly recommend listening to this book on audio because the podcast bits are exceptionally well done. The first few times “The Girls” podcast began I had to look down at my phone to make sure that I hadn’t hit my podcast app accidentally. If you’ve ever listened to a true crime podcast, these podcast segments sound just like one of them.

SADIE isn’t a typical YA book. In fact, I’d hesitate to throw it in that category at all. It is pitch black and stares down pedophilia, rape, abuse, and just some really rough stuff.

“His voice sounds like a knife that sharpens itself on other people.”

This is not a light and fluffy book no matter your age and it is likely going to break your heart. Sadie has a painful stutter but doesn’t let it slow her down. She’s brave, she’s smart and she is determined and you want her to win. I can’t tell you any more without ruining the entire thing for you. Just read it, if you want.

This one is going into the Baker Street Category

Bingo Calls:

9/1   Classic Horror

9/3   Cryptozoologist

9/5   Cozy Mystery (not on my card)

9/7   New Release

10/1 Ghost Stories

10/3 Doomsday

10/5 Shifters

10/7 13

10/9 Terror in a Small Town (not on my card)

10/11 Darkest London