logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: DNF
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-05-25 04:03
I am so Sad!!!
IDA - Alison Evans IDA - Alison Evans

When I saw this book on Netgalley it looked like a book I would really enjoy. I am so sad because this was not the case !!!!!! I couldn't handle the talking in the book, so I just couldn't finish the book.

I will say  I did like what I did read about Ida, as well as her girlfriend Daisy. I just gave up at 27 %. But I was ready to give up at 20% but wanted to give the book a fair chance. But I just couldn't do it.

I will also have to admit that I was confused about the storyline as well, I just think that the way certain individuals talked in the book just distracted me so bad that I just couldn't get past it. I am sure other individuals that will read this book wouldn't be bothered by this, and I wish I could have been one of them.

I would say give this book a chance because even though I didn't like the book doesn't mean you will be like me.

I would like to also mention that I was the person that asked to read this book. No one made me, and my opinion is my own and no one else's. Thanks so much NetGalley for the chance.

review 2017-05-21 19:22
Chaser - DNF @ 11%
Chaser (Bad Habits Book 2) - Staci Hart

Poor little rich boy. "Innocent" little country girl. No chemistry. Bored now.

The writing itself isn't bad, and the characters aren't unlikable. I'm just not wooed by The Life of the Rich and Useless and most of the focus so far is on Connor.

review 2017-05-16 05:30
Bone: Coda
BONE: CODA 25th Anniversary Special - Jeff Smith,Stephen Weiner

I had no idea what this book was when I placed it on hold. I just saw another hold copy and knew I needed to check it out since I'm reading my way through Bone this month.

If you're looking for more information on comic book publishing history and how Bone fits into that then this book is for you. I wasn't really feeling it, so I stopped reading after Jeff Smith's part (the end of Part I). It is interesting how much comics have changed in the last 25 years.

I did enjoy the comic at the beginning. If you enjoyed the series and want more of the Bone cousins it's probably worth checking Coda out from your local library to read that story.

Also, this is my first DNF of the year (according to my spreadsheet). That's pretty good for me.

review 2017-05-15 18:03
Knots not worth untangling
The Lace Reader - Brunonia Barry

Copy obtained through local public library.  I don't know the author nor have I ever had any communication with her about this book or any other matter.

I began reading the book a couple of weeks ago, but only got a few pages into it before being interrupted.  I set it aside, then went back and started over when I was sure I would have more time.  By page 103 of 385, I knew the struggle wasn't going to be worth it.  I always think it's my fault that a book isn't working, so I checked out some of the other reviews -- I almost never read reviews before I read the book -- and found I wasn't alone.

No spoilers here, because I didn't finish the book and I'm not likely to.

Towner Whitney, whose real name is Sophya, comes back to Salem, Massachusetts, after 15 years in California.  Her grandmother/great-aunt Eva has disappeared.  I think Towner was raised by Eva, but I'm not sure.  Towner admits she lies a lot, and also that she doesn't remember things well because she had a nervous breakdown after her sister Lyndley died.

I think Towner's mother is May, who lives on a little island and rescues abused women and their children, but the family relationships aren't really clear.  Auntie Emma is Eva's daughter, I think, but again I'm not sure.  Beezer is Towner's brother.

Quirky characters are great if you can keep them straight and each becomes a real person.  None of these people did, not even Towner.  Her quirks were too inconsistent, too unexplained.  She can read people's minds and she hears voices -- especially Eva's and Lyndley's -- and she can read lace (it's kind of like reading tea leaves or some such) but there doesn't seem to be any purpose to it.

Towner dwells on her mental illness but doesn't really seem to care very much about it.  She doesn't have any direction or motivation or even any emotion.  And yet I got the impression that she wanted people around her to care about her.  I'm not sure that that's the impression author Brunonia Barry intended to convey, but it's the one I got.

As a result, I just didn't like Towner, and it's difficult for me to continue to read a book when I don't give a shit about the main character.

The book is well written in the technical sense, and I'm assuming the details of Salem and its environs are accurate, but everything fell flat for me.  It's like a book that a bunch of ladies read for their Tuesday afternoon book club, and they all think it's wonderful and deep and literary and quirky, but they really don't understand it and aren't sure they even like it.  They read it to impress their friends.  The sexy parts embarrass them -- though to be honest, I hadn't encountered any really sexy parts in the first 103 pages -- or horrify them, but for the most part they really don't understand the sexy parts.  They read books like this because it makes them feel somehow superior, even though as soon as they reach the end and move on to the next book, this one is forgotten.

I'll probably forget it, too.

Also posted at

and I may expand it there.

review 2017-05-08 18:54
ARC Review: Regenerate by Sarita Leone (DNF)
Regenerate - Sarita Leone

November 24, 2016
eBook
316
ARC Review Copy

The Octopus isn't an urban myth—and its agents are anything but ordinary. The intelligence bureau is so well-hidden most doubt its existence. A handful know its location. And fewer walk the halls in the subterranean compound.

Benjamin Sinclair didn't ask to be a scientific miracle but every mission has its risks and one perfectly-placed bullet ended his life—for a brief moment in time.

Nicole Anima battles demons every day. Life as a paranormal resources operative gives her tortured mind a rest—and keeps her from contemplating her own death.

When Anima and Sinclair partner on a globe-trotting race to eliminate the threat about to cripple humanity, all hell breaks loose. Leaping from planes, crashing into continents, dealing with voodoo priestesses, and running through jungles with zombies hot on their trail doesn't leave much time for romance, but this duo somehow manages to sizzle.

Two agents. Telepathic mind paired with regenerated commando. One world—and a mission to save it.

"This globe-trotting adventure sizzles!"

"Pure action, from beginning to end! Loved it!"

"The Zombie Apocalypse never looked this good!"

Goodreads

Amazon

DNF Regenerate at chapter 4.

Regenerate sounded interesting from the blurb, but unfortunately it didn’t connect with me.

After the first chapter I had more questions then answers. I was disappointed their was no world-building to explain things. Then onto Chapter two. I was still confused and not the least bit interested or invested in the main characters. Sinclair is a zombie operative, what ever that means and Nicole is a telepath of some sort, not explained and they both work for this secret government agency that is meant too, I guess save the world from something. The characters have a past, but that’s never explained. Then we get into chapter three and their is still no world-building or explaining on why their is a government organization which by the way is called “The Octopuses”. That name just made me laugh and think about 007 movies.

Sigh.

So at chapter 4, I just put this book down and decide no more. I was nit-picking everything and by this point I was just confused, disappointed in the lack of explanations on the world and characters, and not feeling this book.

Regenerate was not the book for me. If the blurb intrigues you, I urge you to give it a shot. Just because it did not work for me does not mean it won’t for you.

*Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy provided by Sarita Leone via Goddess Fish Promotions with the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments and ratings are my own.

Challenge(s): New To Me (Author) | Pick Your Genre (PNR) (2017)

Facebook Twitter Google+