logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: DNF
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-10-21 17:30
The Innocent Auction - DNF @ 25%.
The Innocent Auction - Story Perfect Editing Services,Victoria Sue

Contrived scenes to give the MCs forbidden but tepid smooching scenes, zero build up to any kind of relationship and zero chemistry despite all the lusting between them. Bored now.

There is an attempt at a plot though, so that's nice, but honestly, I've read much better master/servant fanfic than this back when I was absorbing every Frodo/Sam slash fic I could get my greedy little hands on. Plus, the constant bad grammar (was stood, had sat) and missing punctuation killed this story even before I got to this:

"...his skin taught..."

Um...sorry, honey, but skin cannot be taught. It has no brains to be learning with! It can however be taut.

review 2017-10-20 15:53
Blink - Rick R. Reed

DNF @ 52%

review 2017-10-20 15:49
Finley - Ella Frank

DNF @ 48%

I picked this book because I loved Logan & Tate and I was interested in knowing the story behind Daniel Finely.

At first I thought this book was going to be similar to the Logan & Tate storyline but after reading the first chapters I realized that it was totally different and I was actually interested in new characters and their own storyline but the more I read the more I lost interest in the book I guess I expected them to act in a certain way and they acted differently which made it hard for me to connect with the characters, so I decided to DNF this book, maybe after a while I will try again.

review 2017-10-20 00:49
Be very, very careful what you wish for
The Serpent Scrolls: Rise of the Immortal Snake (The War with Satan Book 1) - Kenneth Harris

Afterwards, he was immediately executed. It is believed by local scholars that his beaten and burned corpse was decapitated limb by limb and buried in the forgotten grounds of Serpent Cemetery just outside of Kilfield, Massachusetts. Reportedly, his spirit awaits rebirth by 99 souls from his own admission shortly before his death.

Harris, Kenneth . The Serpent Scrolls: Rise of the Immortal Snake (The War with Satan Book 1) . Kindle Edition.

Emphasis is mine.  This is from the one-page Introduction.  It is the second or third major grammatical or syntactical error on that short page.

Disclosure:  I obtained the Kindle edition of this book on 19 October 2017 when it was offered free and promoted as such on BookLikes.  I have had intermittent communication on BookLikes with the author, but not about this book or about his writing in general.  I am an author of adult fiction and non-fiction.

The text is absurdly over-written, with four adjectives used where one would be too many. Often, they're misused.

Lots of words are misused.

He inserted the mouth of a rigid bolt cutter over the bulky wrapped chains and bisected it.

Harris, Kenneth . The Serpent Scrolls: Rise of the Immortal Snake (The War with Satan Book 1) (p. 1). Kindle Edition.

(One does not insert something over something else.  Bolt cutters have blades, jaws, and a neck, but not a mouth.  Chains are plural; it is singular.)

I don't know if this is supposed to be a morality tale reminding us of God's love or a Young Adult horror story.  If it's supposed to be a combination of the two, I can only roll my eyes.

The book needs serious editing.  I'm not being paid to do that.

I recommend avoiding this book as if it were a rattlesnake.

review 2017-10-18 18:29
Kidnapped! (Harlequin Blaze #345)(Forbidden Fantasies) - Jo Leigh

I've spent the last 7 days staring at it balefully. The back cover reads interesting. But then you get to the set-up...and the end.

The h was kidnapped as a teen, along with her cousin. She escaped, her cousin...didn't. She sort of got over that, only to get kidnapped *again* while in college, by a couple of fellow students. So she's become agoraphobic - supposedly. Daddy Warbucks has surrounded his precious darling with ex agents and military types, under the guise of well, household employees. She lives "alone" and is clueless of this.

The H is one of these - her chauffeur. He finds the whole thing stupid - he wouldn't mind the elaborate security if it was a head of state, but some pampered princess? Yes, he does hold her in contempt. He's worked for her for a few months. She is attracted to him, and he's aware of it, also finds it amusing.

Her therapist suggests a kidnapping for hire adventure to help her with her phobia.

He listens in on her telling her friend about it, does research (which he apparently left lying around)

She meets her dad for dinner at a restaurant, which is cleared in advance of their arrival, sees pity in the H's eyes, and decides to go through with it.

H's brother is worthless pondscum that the H has been bailing out since they were kids. He finds the "research" and decides to fill in...or arrange a fill in - I quit at this point - because he owes some bookie a lot of money.

Since I read the last few chapters as well...the h apparently only found out that her staff were all security people after she more or less rescued herself, because her dad was incensed and blamed the H for everything. The H kept to his cover as hapless chauffeur the entire time he was in her presence, and didn't take the opportunity to take care of the bad guys when he had several chances. No - I didn't understand that. She was in her room, he could have taken them out one by one, and solved the whole problem. Granted, he likely wouldn't have killed his brother but still...

The part I didn't read - the middle - I can only guess that...the kidnapping happened, he allowed himself to be captured assuming it was just a game, slept with the h (that he considered useless and pitiable), figured out it wasn't a game, didn't do anything about it until AFTER they'd reached the Caymans and she'd been dragged off the boat (read *that* part), etc.