logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: DNF
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-28 19:51
Another DNF - See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt
See What I Have Done - Sarah Schmidt

One for the DNF pile. I can't get into it at all, every time I pick it up I find myself becoming bored and I have to try and force myself to keep reading in the hope that it will improve.

I just don't care for the characters. There's nothing likeable about them in the slightest and I honestly couldn't care less what happens to them or where their stories are heading. I'm not a fan of the writing style either. Definitely not a book for me.

It's taken me 5 days to read 26%, time to admit defeat.

Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes | LibraryThing

You can also follow me on Bloglovin

review 2017-06-22 16:19
Claimed by Elle Kennedy
Claimed: An Outlaws Novel (The Outlaws Series) - Elle Kennedy

Are you effing kidding me?!

What did I just (attempt) to read?

Was there a plot? A point? I’ll settle for an idea. Maybe a concept?

This was pure PWP that just happened to be set in a dystopian future (end of world-building) and featured a bunch of hot young people orgy-ing their way through life (end of character development). I didn’t stick around to “learn” more.

I’ll just stick with her Harlequin/Silhouette contributions. At least those have some sort of plot.

(Oh, and by the way, communism is an ideal that has never been truly achieved, no matter what your historical books might tell you. Communism done right does not need a totalitarian regime, hence being an ideal never before achieved. And probably never will. The “communism” we all know or have heard about is a bastardized concept of the original, unachievable idea.)

review 2017-06-22 16:15
Dangerous Waters & Dark Waters by Toni Anderson
Dangerous Waters - Toni Anderson
Dark Waters - Toni Anderson

DANGEROUS WATERS

Two divers find a shipwreck off the coast of Vancouver Island, British Columbia. A wreck containing a dead diver with a knife buried into his chest. Enter Sergeant Holly Rudd who has lots to prove; that she didn’t get the job because of her daddy, but because of her merits, that she’s put her affair with her married (although she didn’t know it at the time) superior behind her, that she can close her first murder case, and that she can keep it professional when it comes to her attraction to one of the divers who found the body…

Let me tell you, she proved none of it. For a supposed “professional” she was rather incompetent when it came to everything from investigating, to interrogating, to listening to her guts, and to keeping her hands off the supposed suspect. And for someone who claimed to have gotten the job through merit, she was rather quick to doubt herself.

So, this was supposed to be a romantic suspense novel. So let’s start with the romance. It wasn’t there. One snap of the fingers and the two of them were immediately attracted to each other, another snap of the fingers and they were bumping uglies (no emotion behind it, mind you), and yet another snap of the fingers and they were in love.
Why? How? Why?
There was all tell and absolutely no show.
I didn’t understand what they saw in each other—she was an incompetent idiot with a teenage crush, he was an off-putting asshole with a chip on his shoulder and no compunction about lying to the woman he supposedly loved.

As for the suspense. There was none. Or if there was, it was buried so deep, I couldn’t find it. No chills, no intensity. Nothing.
There were two “mystery” sub-plots, really, but both connected by the same villain. The first, about the murder in 1982 and the fact the heroine bore an uncanny resemblance to the murder victim was so predictable it was transparent. I was just waiting for everybody to finally get their heads out of their asses and see the truth.
So the only “surprise” was the reveal of the villain and the motive. The latter was rather far-fetched, or I simply didn’t care by that point, and the villain...Yeah, I didn’t care by that point.

It started off great with the chill-filled prologue, but after a few chapters, the whole thing slowed down. The plot was vapid, the writing amateurish, the romance and suspense non-existent. In the second half of it, I skimmed scenes, hoping for a glimmer of something to keep it interesting, to kick the pace into a higher gear, and by the end of it, I was ecstatic it was finally over.

DARK WATERS

DNF @ 13%

A nicely intense prologue once more followed by plodding, slow, and boring "story".

I couldn't care less about the heroine, the hero was stuck in my mind as the asshole brother of the asshole hero in the previous book...
Instead of carrying on the intensity of the prologue, the difference in pace (and intrigue) in the first chapter was jarring, and having learned from the first book in this duology that improvement either in pace, characterization or intensity is unlikely, I went on to read the last chapter...And didn't get the urge to go back and read the whole thing.

review 2017-06-22 15:40
Review: Gork, the Teenage Dragon: A novel by Gabe Hudson
Gork, the Teenage Dragon - Gabe Hudson

This is a DNF for me. I'm not a fan of the writing style, it's rather juvenile and reads like someone's high school English homework. The humour wears off very quickly, there are only so many times "my scaly green ass" can be found humorous or used as a descriptor. There was so much repetition throughout the book that it started to get on my nerves. At times it felt like every other sentence started with "Now, ..."

Not a book I would recommend.

Reviews also posted to my blog: Scarlet's Web
Facebook | Twitter | G+ | BookLikes | LibraryThing

You can also follow me on Bloglovin

review 2017-05-28 00:40
Abandoned -- too young for me in an Afterschool Special way
Cinderella Complex - Rebekah L. Purdy

Stereotypical high school stuff trotting out one clichéd trope after another, all pretty much over the top (not as a spoof or parody).  The POV of the main character wasn't always true to age (but when not teenage-seeming was annoying).

Okay, so I didn't give it much of a chance before abandoning.

A premise about inheriting the mantle of the Fairy Godmother should have made for an interesting read.  But synopsis says first thing she'll have to do is help the chick that author already made over-the-top typical bully who even physically assaults MC in opening pages.  Both girls in same grade, junior year of high school.  First day of school, the mean girl matches up to the MC and assaults her right off the bat.

Nope, no stomach for more formula YA in high school setting — ending in what is likely to be a "learning" "growing" experience where bully is forgiven and our heroine goes all sappy and repays more than a decade of psychological and physical abuse with friendship now that she has "gained a better understanding of her enemy" and learned blah blah blah blah.  Oh, I'm all for not letting anger and hate rule your life where you do have to let go to move on.  But, move on having as little to do with abusers as possible; don't excuse the behavior, put up with what they dish out and reward them with your friendship.