logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Dan-Simmons
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-01-17 22:19
Murder on the Rocks (A Red Carpet Catering Mystery) (Volume 5) - Shawn Reilly Simmons

I absolutely love this series! It has your mystery, a little romance, and . . . behind the scenes looks at filming and catering. I just find the two latter parts so interesting. I like when there is a little something else within a mystery. Penelope is one of my favorites!!!

The crew is going to the country in this latest adventure. And I mean country. No cell service, walking a lot and Penelope has to get involved with the town's folks to get the supplies that she needs. Little does she know that there is a family feud going on amidst everything else she has to deal with. She also has concerns about a old school friend who is now a tennis pro.

While this wasn't my favorite in the series, it was still pretty enjoyable. I do have to say that this is my favorite cover in the series though.

Thanks to Henery Press and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

review 2017-10-21 05:56
Seeing is believing, I guess
Ghost Hunting Diary Volume I - TM Simmons

Disclosure:  I obtained the Kindle edition of this book when it was offered free on Amazon.  I knew the author, Trana Mae ("TM") Simmons, twenty-odd years ago when we were members of Romance Writers of America.  We attended several conferences together, at which we socialized.  I have had no contact with her for at least 15 years, and never knew anything about her paranormal adventures.  This is actually the first of her writing I've ever read.

Do I personally believe in ghosts?  Well, I don't completely disbelieve.  And I haven't even told you the story of the 7-Up bottle that floated through the air in front of me.

That being said, I went into the reading of this with a healthy dose of skepticism, and I emerged with that skepticism intact.  TM and her crew of ghost-hunters seem to have remarkably good luck finding ghosts and sending them on their way through The Light so they don't haunt any more.  The few techniques she reveals for her "cleansing" of haunted places are an odd mixture of neo-paganism and traditional Christian rites involving sea salt and olive oil and burning sage.  Nothing unusual, nothing spectacular.

Could have used a bit more proofreading and even a little bit of editing, but it wasn't too terrible.

An easy read and diverting, and only mildly creepy.  ;-)

review 2017-09-12 21:30
The Fifth of July: A Novel - Kelly Simmons

This book was not as lighthearted as I thought it would be. I guess when I see Nantucket, I'm thinking fun in the sun, a vacation with no worries. This book was nothing like that. This family was so dysfunctional in every way. They all walked around each other like they had corn cobs up the arse. The tension was bleeding through the pages as I swept through this story. I don't know who I felt sorry for the most.

A thoroughly broken family saga that, believe it or not, was a great escape.

Thanks to Sourcebooks Landmark and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

review 2017-08-02 05:28
Magic & Mayhem
Denai Touch: Excalibar Investigations Series - Tiffany Shand,Melody Simmons

This one has it all! Gripping suspense, edge of your seat action, and forbidden love in a story of magic and mayhem. The characters are well developed and interesting, the world-building is great, and the story line flows so well, creating a page turner that I couldn't put down.

Cate is a talented witch who has more on her plate than any one person should have to deal with. There's plenty of angst as she and Jason deny their feelings for each other, and if that isn't enough, she faces danger at every turn. Shand builds a world where two groups of witches are battling for control and our heroine often doesn't know who to trust. In fact, there were many characters that I was unsure of until the end and as I turned the last page and several things were made clear, I was still wondering about a couple of them.

Overall, this first in the Excalibar Investigations series is a solid series starter and does well at introducing Shand's world and the characters that live in it. I would easily recommend this one to anyone who enjoys the genre.

review 2017-07-04 01:56
Good start
Hyperion - Dan Simmons

Synopsis: On the eve of an interstellar apocalypse, 7 pilgrims journey to the planet Hyperion, to meet the Shrike; a creature that moves backward in time and kills the pilgrims who seek it. On their journey each one tells their story of what brought them to that point.

I have mixed feelings about this book. Its slow going, and most of the stories take awhile to get going. There's very little action of any sort, and the deeper concepts may fly over some heads. It has some good twists, however, and the characters are filled out well. My main gripe with it has been that it ends without resolving the major plot points. I'm assuming this will be fixed in the sequel (The Fall of Hyperion), but I still found it rather annoying.

Rating *** 1/2