logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Dark
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-07-19 19:37
Daredevil: Back in Black vols. 2 & 3: Supersonic & Dark Art
Daredevil: Back in Black Vol. 2: Supersonic - Charles Soule,Ron Garney
Daredevil: Back in Black Vol. 3: Dark Art - Charles Soule,Ron Garney

I'm really liking the new run on Daredevil--liking, but not loving, not yet. It's all been very surface level so far on Matt's character, and I want to see more, especially with all of the changes he's gone through.

Supersonic shows that the stories are too short, and pass too quickly; this very slim volume contains no less than four separate stories. The first is Elektra's, and of course I loved that, because it's Elektra, but neither character is really explored. Matt finds out that he might have a daughter, but the idea is mulled over once and dismissed, and then, as I knew from the beginning, proved false. And it passes in two issues. Hints abound on how/who made Matt's identity disappear, and... I'm fairly spoiled for the upcoming storyline, so... there's that.

The same goes with the team-up with Spider-Man: two and done. Not to say it isn't enjoyable, and Peter struggling with how and why he might trust Daredevil would have been interesting in more depth. As it is, I think it's the only person so far that Matt's confessed that he made his secret identity go away to, and that in of itself shows his friendship with Peter. But I want more.

The annual with Echo: Pure win. I loved it, loved the art, am so happy to see Maya make her return. There were small details that made me happy, like Matt always remembering to face her when he's speaking.

The one-shot about Gladiator: Oh, Melvin, what have they done to you? LOL! Meh, weakest thing in the collection.

Dark Art provides a more complete story, and so I liked it better. The Medusa cameo and the inclusion of the Inhumans, I really liked, and the villain was suitably awful. I can't help but feel like Blindspot takes the comic over and I know more about him than I do Matt's state of mind at this point, and that bums me out.

But I really like it. I like Soule's writing, as always. Would really like to see him really get his teeth into Matt.

Next volume's on hold at the library; I think it releases in August!

review 2017-07-19 15:01

Setting: Itanya

Source:  Kindle eBook

Add to Goodreads

Book Theme Song

(this link will take you to my tumblr post with video)

Meet Me On the Battlefield by Svrcina   --A poignant, slow song about going into war.  It really has the right feel for Wen, Melik and Bo and their battles fought.♫

⇝OVERALL RATING⇜

4.5/5 STARS

A-

My Thoughts

A sweet, uplifting story set in a bleak and sorrowful world.  The sequel to Of Metal and Wishes is much more action-packed and even more exquisitely romantic.  I loved it in spite of the main character's fickleness towards the two males in her life. The turmoil of their world, and the gutsy determination of the characters, more than overshadow the vexatious love triangle going on.   Making this second book in this duology even more likable than the first.

Ratings Breakdown

Flow (Writing Style):  5/5

Backdrop (World Building):  4.5/5

Originality:  5/5

Book Cover:  5/5

Ending:  5/5  Cliffhanger:  Nope.

Will I read more from this Author?  Of course…

review 2017-07-18 18:01
Audio Book Review: Shine (Mageri #5) By Dannika Dark
Shine - Dannika Dark

I feel numb to this series by this point. I put myself through 5 books (most of them more than ten hours in length) all for that anti-climatic ending. The 'big' villain for most of the books was defeated in the what I consider a half baked miracle. That's my reward? I'd say it's not up to par.

This book had a lot going on with a bunch of (what I'd consider) pointless side stories that I could happily live without. The only side story I've grown to love was the Justus and Paige one. The Adam and Sadie one, in particular, almost made me stop reading because of how insignificant it was to the main plotline in the long run.

Silver was a more enjoyable character in this novel. She seems to have shed most of her impulsiveness and naiveté. What she did for Logan was sweet, but the life and death situation made me roll my eyes so hard. I swear I was going to see my brain at some point (this goes for this series as a whole).

I did warm up to Logan, because his domineering and overbearing nature were at an alltime low for the duration of this novel. That's a huge step to making him seem realistic and I appreciate it very much. There were quite a few sweet moments, but I still would rather never hear from him again.

The ending was very sweet, but it wasn't what I was anticipating. This goes back to the defeat of the villain. I understand that the author wanted to leave loose endings for future stories to develop, but solving the main problem and leaving three and a half hours of story was off putting to me. I'm in the unpopular opinion category when it comes to this series and that still hasn't changed.

The Audio Book:

The narration, as always, was awesome. Nicole Poole has grown on me for quite some time. I love her variations in tones and accents. I could tell everyone apart very clearly. Her narration didn't take away from the story as a whole.

review 2017-07-18 14:10
Gary Gianni's Monstermen and Other Scary Stories
Gary Gianni's Monstermen and Other Scary Stories - Gary Gianni,Gary Gianni

Gary Gianni's Monstermen and Other Scary Stories was a real treat! I knew nothing about what to expect from this volume, (knowing nothing about the Hellboy series, in which these comics were originally released), so I went in with no preconceptions. I was seriously impressed. Here's why:

First, I LOVED the stories! The first 2/3 of this are different comics featuring a movie director named St. Lawrence, (who looks a lot like Vincent Price, BTW, and who you would think belonged in the 30's expect for the occasional glimpse of technology), and his friend Benedict a member of the Corpus Monstrum guild. Benedict is an immortal knight and always wears his knight helmet and a tuxedo. (I need to learn more about the background of this character because he was a blast to read about.) Together they fend off plagues of falling skulls, and other monstrous creatures.

Second, the last third of the book contains illustrated classic stories by the likes of Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard, and William Hope Hodgson. I LOVED these! When reading these short stories, I couldn't help but notice how the first 2/3 of the book carried the exact same pulpy, adventure feel that these classic stories originally created. I think Gianni did a beautiful job of carrying on that feel in his comics and in his illustrations of these pulp shorts. In a way, I feel like these were his way of paying tribute to what came before, while also making them his own.

Again, I went into this with no preconceptions. I came away with much admiration and respect. I'm going to eventually read the Hellboy comics and I'm definitely going to search out Mr. Gianni and see what else he has on offer, because whatever it is, I'm in!

Highly recommended, especially to fans of the classic pulp short stories and to fans of incredible artwork.

You can get your copy here: Gary Gianni's Monstermen and Other Scary Stories

*Thank you to Edelweiss and to Dark Horse Comics for the e-ARC of this volume in exchange for my honest review. This is it!*

review 2017-07-17 21:43
Review: Keeping Her: A Dark Romance by Angela Snyder
Keeping Her: A Dark Romance (Keep Me Series Book 1) - Angela Snyder

What a roller coaster of emotions! One moment I was hating the characters, the next I was sympathizing with them, the next I was in love, and before I knew it was exasperated and then back in love. Crazy stuff!

Now, I feel the most important thing I need to point out is that this is a dark romance and that there are some serious **** TRIGGER ISSUES **** that may make some readers uncomfortable so read with caution.

The story, which was narrated in first POV by various characters, gave me that feeling of intense passion and angst. I think the author made a good job by portraying Lucian with so many emotional and character flaws, otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to overlook his numerous acts of possessiveness and cruelty, even after a very important truth is uncovered and he has no reason to keep acting that way. Adeline is the sweet and innocent girl that captures his attention in a way that no one thought possible. And when I say innocent, I really mean it, and for good reasons too. Odd thing was that it was hard for me to connect with and understand her character but I think that was because of everything that happened in her previous life and her current situation. I just couldn’t relate to her in any feasible way.

The story has a good pace and flow although I found the characters talking too much to themselves and at times I found their inner dialogue a bit repetitive. However one thing I liked a lot was that even though Adeline started as a victim, she never behaved as one and that made her a more realistic character.

On a side note, I was totally blindsided by what happened towards end and the cliffhanger. It’s a good thing we don’t have to wait too long how this story ends as the next installment will be out in only a couple of months.

I received this book from the author at no cost to me and I volunteered to read it; this is my honest opinion and given without any influence by the author or publisher.