logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Dates
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-01-11 07:10
Review Tour- Three Blind Dates

We're celebrating the release of THREE BLIND DATES by Meghan Quinn! ONE-CLICK your copy TODAY!

PURCHASE HERE-->

Add it to your TBR--> http://bit.ly/2zY0Zuf

"Good Morning Malibu, it’s another beautiful day on the west coast! I'm Noely Clark, your host: and I'm in the market for love…”

When the publicity team of the new local restaurant, Going in Blind, began their search for a hot, local celebrity to promote the wildly popular eatery, they couldn’t have found a better person than me.

Outgoing? Check.
Single? Check.
Open to finding love? Check.

I signed up immediately.

A hopeless romantic with an exceedingly demanding schedule, I've found it impossible to find the man of my dreams—so Going in Blind seems too good to be true! That’s until they start setting me up on dates—three very different, very attractive, very distinct blind dates—and only one thing is for certain . . .

I’m in big trouble.

Good Morning Malibu,
I'm Noely Clark, and I have a choice to make.
The question is who will I choose; the suit, the rebel, or the jock.

EXCERPT:

NOELY

“Just state my name?”

“Yeah. Gives us a quick rundown on who you are, what you do, your interests, and what you’re looking for in a man.”

I nod and clear my throat. Sitting tall, my hands resting in my lap, I speak directly into the camera . . .

“Hi, I’m Noely Clark, and I’m one of your Good Morning, Malibu hosts. As you know, I’m single and in the market for love. As a twenty-seven-year-old woman who has had her fair share of rotten relationships, hookups, and dates, I want to try something new. I want to be thrust into a program where my celebrity status isn’t the first thing someone knows about me, where I can be known for who I am as a person rather than how I’m represented on TV.”

“And who is the person you want to be known for?”

Tilting my head to the side, I purse my lips, thinking of my answer. “Just a regular girl who loves Tom Hanks, would do just about anything adventurous, and would rather be seen eating nachos at a hockey game than enjoying a chardonnay during a classic night at the opera.”

“And what are you looking for in a man?”

Taking a deep breath, I look straight into the camera. “Someone who will cuddle on my couch and watch a classic romcom with me. Someone who will challenge me. Someone who is respectful and courteous to others but also has no qualms about shouting at an official while pounding on the glass at a hockey game. We don’t have to be a perfect match, because when is that really the case? But I want our match to be close with a little bit of wiggle room for some give and take, because what’s love without a little bit of compromise, without being able to adapt to your partner and love what they love? It’s the people in our life who mold us, and I’m far from being molded completely.”

Three Blind Dates (Dating by Numbers, #1)Three Blind Dates by Meghan Quinn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Noely has some ideas to jump start her personal life. While this seems to be a great plan, she has no idea her boss will get wind of it and make her life a TV spot. So she goes on three amazing dates.

There is the suit, Jack, who is just perfect for her. Then there is the rebel, Beck, who just makes her hot all over and wanting to take risks she would have never thought to. Last there is the jock, Hayden, who is so hot it almost scorches her eyes.

While I am not giving the book away, (you know I do not do spoilers) there is a certain element throughout the story that I absolutely adore - humor. This is a RomCom like no other. This book just ups the ante for romance writing and reading. This is a series I cannot wait to devour and I am looking forward to the rest of the books.

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review.

About the Author:

Author, wife, adoptive mother, and peanut butter lover. Will dance for laughs, won’t eat anything spicy because you asked, but will squeeze boobs in replace of a hug. Grew up in Southern California (Temecula, anyone? Anyone?) lived in New York (the armpit of NY, not the city) and now resides in Colorado with my wife, son, two dogs, three cats, and my multiple book boyfriends. Loves love, anything romantic, and will die if I ever meet Tom Hanks. Yay, books!

Find me on Goodreads:

Visit my website: http://authormeghanquinn.com/

review 2018-01-03 05:43
Three times
Three Blind Dates (Dating by Numbers Series Book 1) - Meghan Quinn

Noely has some ideas to jump start her personal life.  While this seems to be a great plan, she has no idea her boss will get wind of it and make her life a TV spot.  So she goes on three amazing dates.

There is the suit, Jack, who is just perfect for her.  Then there is the rebel, Beck, who just makes her hot all over and wanting to take risks she would have never thought to.  Last there is the jock, Hayden, who is so hot it almost scorches her eyes.

While I am not giving the book away, (you know I do not do spoilers) there is a certain element throughout the story that I absolutely adore - humor.  This is a RomCom like no other.  This book just ups the ante for romance writing and reading.  This is a series I cannot wait to devour and I am looking forward to the rest of the books.  I give this story a 4/5 Kitty's Paws UP!

***This early copy was given in exchange for an honest review.

review 2017-09-30 03:52
The Love Song of Sawyer Bell by Avon Gale - My Thoughts
The Love Song of Sawyer Bell - Avon Gale

Sadly, I'm disappointed again.  I saw a couple of good comments about this book and in reading the blurb it seemed to have some of the things I love.  Rock bands, musicians, song writers, a pair of heroines who didn't sound like angsty belly-button watchers. Maybe I had found that very rare things for me, a good f/f romance.  I should have known it was too good to be true.  Seriously, these books are not meant for me and I will learn to spot them at some point.

The first 3rd of the book was fine.  Yes, the girls were younger than I'd been hoping - 21 and 25 years of age - but they seemed to have a good grasp of things - like life.  *LOL*   They weren't vapid, they made sense, they had dreams and they had flaws and quirks.  They were real, fully formed people and I was hopeful.

Then they got together.  And I was in the dreaded NA territory.  See, there's a difference between a book/romance with young protagonists and one that's New Adult.  The girls began to feel for each other and at the same time they began to focus on their own 'perceived' flaws which made them begin to hide things from each other and avoid talking about things that might edge too close to those feelings of less-than-worthiness. And there was so much over and over accusing of one wanting 'dick' because she was bisexual and the other gal didn't do guys... I don't know, it just seemed that if they'd stop being so sensitive and prickly and actually talked to each other a lot of these hurts could have been avoided.  And this basically went on until just about the end when they finally got their shit together - mostly because of come-to-Jesus talks with one of the other members of the band - a man.  An older man (maybe 30-ish?).  It all felt less than empowering to me.

I had other, smaller problems too.  Yay for diversity!  I'm all for that.  But really, do we need to have the labels of almost every character in the book proclaimed? Does it matter to the story of Sawyer and Vix if this one is gay, that one a lesbian, those 3 bisexuals, and that one over there straight... and so on?  I don't think so.  The diversity felt forced, not natural and I think that's because it was being pointed out over and over again.

Another problem I had was the 'ew, boys' stuff.  Boys aren't always disgusting, unfeeling, shallow sots... well not all the time anyway.  *LOL*  That felt kind of juvenile to me.  But what do I know, maybe young lesbians all talk this way?  (And then the author totally dissed Nickleback, which did not endear her to me because I really like Nickleback!)  Another small thing... is it a new young girl uniform to wear tank tops... all the time tank tops.  Day in and day out?

So once again, caveat being given... I'm not the best person for NA romances.  They annoy me and I have no patience for these angsty kids.  The book was well written and would probably be loved by someone who gets NA.  I'm not her. So the hunt continues for some enjoyable (for me) f/f romances.

Oh, but .. the cover absolutely ROCKS!

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-09-03 08:19
August 2017 — A Wrap-Up for the Month of Graphic Novels & Comics

The previous month was all about graphic novels and comics. Here is what I read in August and what I thought about it:

Monster of Frankenstein Vol. 1

As part of Project Frankenstein, this volume failed to make an impression. I was sad to see that all the stories missed the most essential characteristic present in the monster from the original work: its intelligence. This monster came off as a creature on a rampage. Even where it was shown to be clever, it was in an evil sort of a way.

Anyway, another book that I can cross off my list!

Kamala has my heart and is keeping it as far as I can see. The humor is amazing, I mean references to Dune, Spiderman’s wisecracks, and keeping things real— the comic has it all!

12.png

A Plague of Angels

I enjoyed the heck outta this book and have reviewed it in detail here.

Gotham Academy: Endgame #1 &

Annual #1

Gotham.jpg

These were cute and nerdy but I am still not too crazy about them.

Preacher, Volumes 1, 2, & 3

Preacher.jpg

Irreverrent as heck but funny and kick-you-in-the-gut sad too. If you can get past the first issue or two, then you are going to love it. If you are easily offended, this might not be the thing for you!

Raptor Red

I have already reviewed this one in detail and on Instagram; it was part of my Books&Chai series. Read my expression of Dino-Mania here.

Original post: https://midureads.wordpress.com/2017/09/03/august-2017-a-wrap-up-for-the-month-of-graphic-novels-comics/

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-07-31 09:56
A Review of the Reasons Why the Frankenstein’s Monster in the Eponymous Book by Susan Heyboer O’Keefe Will Break Your Heart!
Frankenstein's Monster: A Novel - Susan Heyboer O'Keefe

Background

He begins his story right from where the original work by Mary Shelley left off. The monster tries to kill himself and fails repeatedly. If the polar cold doesn’t hurt him, I’d say there are few things that could!

P.S. Read my review of the original classic here. For more information on Project Frankenstein, click here.

Reasons for Heart-Break

Reason # 1

He says things like:

Reason # 2

He is well-read just like the creature from the original book. However, no one appreciated his genius.

Reason # 3

He is willing to believe in the goodness of humans even after what he has suffered at their hands. In fact, he acknowledges this is because he has met quite a few people who have been kind to him, including a nun.

Reason # 4

He is stuck in an abusive relationship with a woman who tortures and provokes him mercilessly. Yet not unlike many humans, he can’t seem to let her go.

Reason # 5

When the woman gives birth to someone else’s child, the creature steels his heart to try and murder the child according to its mother’s desires. He can’t!

Reason # 6

He is followed by an insane person — the captain of the ship that Victor Frankenstein died on. That person destroys his life but when given a chance to end the crazy person’s life, all the monster feels is pity.

Reason # 7

Even with all that is going on, the creature appreciates a good sense of humor.

Reason # 8

By the end of the book, he has decided that he will be raising the kid. It isn’t going to be easy because its mother starved herself throughout her pregnancy, so she’d lose the child. The kid’s brain will show what difference her ministrations must have made. The kid is also crippled.

Why I Love Botany

Final Thoughts

The relationship, if it can’t be called that, Frankenstein’s monster and the woman, Lily were in, had shades of Heathcliff and Cathy’s relationship from Wuthering Heights. It might not have been healthy but it made for an interesting read.

Originally published at midureads.wordpress.com on July 31, 2017.