logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Daughter-of-Smoke-and-Bone
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-11-22 15:16
Review: Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #1) by Laini Taylor
Daughter of Smoke & Bone - Laini Taylor

Around the world, black hand prints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherworldly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real, she’s prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands", she speaks many languages - not all of them human - and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she’s about to find out.

When beautiful, haunted Akiva fixes fiery eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?

I’ve been seeing this book around all over the place and been meaning to read it for a while now. So I was happy to finally get to it. I must admit that whole I liked it a lot it was not as good as I thought it be until the last few chapters. The beginning for me was a bit slow and confusing and I had no idea what was going on for a while or where it was going. Even though we go through a couple timelines throughout the book it became less confusing the more I got into the book. The world and character building was absolutely beautiful. I really enjoyed the different worlds and times. I enjoyed the characters even more. I really liked one of our main character Karou, she sis strong can kick butt and of course fly (lol ) and has a funny side. I also really liked Zuzana and what she meant to Karou. I did have a little trouble connecting with Akiv in the beginning but it seemed to get a little better throughout the book and we get deeper into the story. I also think and sort of hope we will see more of Kaz. Overall, I really enjoyed this book and looking forward to book two, which I think will be even better. As the story seems to be just starting at the end of this book. And now that we have all the introduction into the world and people over with. I will rate it 3 ½ ★ as the beginning was a bit too slow for me.

Available NOW

Laini Taylor

Hi! I write fantasy books. My latest is STRANGE THE DREAMER, about a young librarian, a mythic lost city, and the half-human children of murdered gods. Check it out :-) Before that I wrote the DAUGHTER OF SMOKE & BONE trilogy, which has been translated into 32 languages. It's about a blue-haired art student raised by monsters, a broken angel, and a war that has raged for 1000 years in another world. I also wrote LIPS TOUCH: THREE TIMES, which was a National Book Award finalist, and the DREAMDARK books. As well as various short stories and novellas.

Thanks for reading!!

Links

Website *** Twitter *** Goodreads *** Amazon

Snoopydoo sigi

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-05-28 22:47
Book review : Daughter of smoke and bone lanini Taylor

My review from 2014

April 8- May 23

Summary -Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil’s supply of human teeth grown dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Review - Karou lives two lives she's a teenager that lives in Prague and has sketchbooks filled with different creatures and the other life where those monsters are actually real she is the errand girl to the chimera a man monster named Brimstone and it involves teeth Brimstone has teeth Karou doesn't know what is with the teeth and where the shop really is he says it is in Elsewhere . other characters that I loved are zuzana is karou's best friend . then we meet Ackiva who is an angel with vengeance for the chimera he and the rest of the angels are putting black handprints on portals when Ackiva and Kauro meet he tries to kill her and then stops Karou gets away and gets back to the portal she sees the door that has always been closed open and goes in and brimstone is there and this other creatures he throws her out goes home and she tells zuzanna and she believes her when kishmish is flying dead into her hands and the portal is gone. ackiva wants to know who Karou is and when he finds her Karou bares her hamsas and hurts him they go to talking and then something happens she starts to feel for him and when he notices her wishbone necklace and he says he knows who she is then his angel family appears he tells her to run and ackiva tells them that he fell for a chimera and they left . before I get into something big that I was not expecting I want to talk about the wishes so the wishes comes from pain scuppies are not that bad but bigger it's worse and Brimstone said hope is bigger than wishes . so when they break the wishbone it goes back to madrill I knew of her because she was akiva's love and she died but this was like the biggest thing I liked hearing all the stuff but when Mad is sentenced to death for being an angel lover that's when resurrection comes into play so apparently when you die you can take the soul and put it in another body and that's what happened to hide Mad from thiago the white wolf Brimstone put her as Karou WHAT! I didn't see that coming and the ending there all dead I loved this book so much I recommend it .

Favorite quotes Who are you ? he asked she almost didn't recognize the language he spoke as chimera so soft on his tongue don't you usually find that out before you kill someone.

Daughter of smoke and bone by lani Taylor

You haven't come up here before ? He asked she turned to him oh yes I bring all the boys up here . And if they don't meet your approval he said you can always push them off. Page 218

Fiala would so eat her words . You should bring him in to model on monday . Right said Karou I'm sure he wouldn't mind stripping for a bunch of humans disrobing said zuzanna ,prim .For art page 236

It's a wishbone , she told him , holding it out . you hook your finger around the spur , like this , and we each make a wish and pull. whoever gets the bigger piece gets their wish. Magic ? akiva had asked . what bird does this come from that it's bones are magic . oh it's not magic . The wishes don't really come true then why do it ? she shrugged . Hope ? hope can be a powerful force . Maybe they're no actual magic in it , but when you know what you hope for the most and hold it like a light within you, you can make things happen , almost like magic . Page 288

review 2017-05-19 05:46
Review of "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" (#1 of same-named series)
Daughter of Smoke & Bone - Laini Taylor

Ooh...this was a good one.  Unique.  And on the surface had a lot of elements I should not have liked.  Definitely going on with the series by this new-to-me author.

review 2017-04-18 22:39
Daughter of Smoke & Bone
Daughter of Smoke & Bone - Laini Taylor

I closed the book after the final page and wondered to myself... why did I wait so long to read this book?  The story, the characters, the writing... all of them were so enchanting and engrossing.  Everything about this book was magical!

Set in the city of Prague, Karou lives alone in a flat and attends art school.  Her sketchbooks are filled with fantastical drawings that her best friend and fellow students yearn to see.  But she has secrets, secrets that not even her best friend knows.  And as many secrets as she herself keeps, there are secrets kept from her, too.  The kind of secrets that change everything.  These secrets also make the feelings she comes to have for Akiva even more tumultuous and chaotic.

The author's writing is beautiful, as is her world building.  It was like reading a fairy tale with its lyrical prose.  The mythos of the angels is very different from the traditional Christian conception that most of us are familiar with.  And even more interesting is that these angels are generally on the "evil" side of the "good versus evil" construct.  But the insights into the world of the angels through Akiva make one thing very clear... there are two perspectives to be had for each and every situation.

This is a story of love and coming together, but it is also a world about perceptions and fighting for what you believe in.  It's about the struggle that comes from within and without when your ideology bucks against that which is expected.  It is, simply put, beautiful.

Source: thecaffeinateddivareads.multifacetedmama.com/?p=12910
review 2016-05-01 04:07
#DaughterofSmokeandBone: NeverJudgeaBook
Days of Blood & Starlight (Daughter of Smoke and Bone) - Laini Taylor
Dreams of Gods & Monsters - Laini Taylor

Of course, we would never…

Because we’ve always been told not to.  Certainly I would never...

Judge a book by its cover? But it’s not judging if it’s obvious.  Right?  Because just look at these covers.

Obviously The Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy is for girls.  It’s nothing but a kissing book.

Sorry, not interested.

Luckily for me I have friends who enjoy shaming me into submission, who swore it wasn’t a kissing book—that it was actually so much more.  My lack of interest evolved into curiosity, and my curiosity cannot be denied.

So, I picked up The Daughter of Smoke and Bone and read it.  Then I read Days of Blood and Starlight.  Then I read Dreams of God and Monsters.  And guess what I found?

I was right. It is totally a kissing book.

But I was wrong too.  There’s a really cool story mixed in with all the brooding, drama, angst and kissing.  War.  Fighting.  Underdogs.  Oppression.  Heroes that rise up.   Bad guys to bring down.  Weak-but-strong good guys.  Strong-but-weak bad guys.  There are characters you want to love and characters you love to hate.

The writing is outstanding, very visual.  I could see everything.  The characters are tangible.  The plot pulls you along.  With out a doubt, there was way more killing than kissing.

That’s how this guy became a fan of these girly kissing books.

And…I suppose the kissing wasn’t so bad.

Content advisory: No language at all, but there is some PG-13 sexual content.  All implied.  Never physical, but lots and Lots and LOTS of gooey, mushy, girly LONGING and WANTING and BROODING and ACHING and PINING and LANGUISHING and…

...Barf.