logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Dead-Silent
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-11-16 07:45
Dead Silent
DEAD SILENT a gripping detective thriller full of suspense - HELEN H. DURRANT

Dead Silent continues the story of Calladine and Bayliss through another gruesome case. As this series is shaping up to be a full series of rather short-but-enjoyable police procedurals, I couldn't help but wonder whether the focus was not a little too much on the personal lives of the main characters.

Both their personal lives are rather a mess, and Calladine has a lot of problems with his cousin also. The case was interested and kept me reading, but it never really stood out.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review!

review 2015-08-19 14:14
DEAD SILENT a gripping detective thriller full of suspense - HELEN H. DURRANT

Students are going missing from the north west of England. They are found murdered - horribly. This one nasty individual who has to be caught and fast. Another crime for Tom and Ruth to solve. The plot moves very quickly and draws you in from the first page. The author has given us a thrilling ride as we travel along with her in this great book. Already looking forward to the next one!  Thanks to the publisher for the ARC.

review 2015-08-01 08:51
The Silent Dead.
The Silent Dead (Paula Maguire) - Claire McGowan

Absolutely blooming brilliant. Full review to follow. Possibly VERY soon if I can't stop myself but possibly nearer publication. I WOULD say if you havent started this series yet then you should because it really is top notch. And hey you've got time to catch up before this one arrives :)

review SPOILER ALERT! 2014-02-13 23:07
Dead Silent by Sharon Jones
Dead Silent - Sharon Jones

Disclosure: I received an ARC of this book from Net Galley.

Dang. I am sorry to have to give this book such a low rating. It started out really well - very promising. It's a YA mystery, which is a genre that is under-published in my opinion. It is pretty rare for me to find a standard mystery that is YA that isn't an old school series or that isn't paranormal.

So, I was pretty excited about getting this. Plus, it's set in Cambridge. Which is by definition awesome, since I am a secret (well, it's no longer a secret) anglophile. I was expecting something like Oxford Blues crossed with a modern, British Nancy Drew.

^^Something like that^^

Anyway, I liked the first half of the book. I liked Poppy, I liked her boyfriend Michael, the story was clipping along, the murder was interesting, Cambridge was snowy and wonderful and then, all of the sudden, it completely collapsed in a mishmash of weird paranormal stuff that I didn't actually see coming, Poppy behaving like an idiot, and what certainly felt like a deterioration in the writing style.

I don't mind paranormal. But the book blurb for this book didn't say anything about paranormal, or mediums, or seances or communications from ghosts. When I read a murder mystery, I expect the mystery to be solved by traditional means - quick wits, logic, puzzling it out, whatever. I do not expect the solution to be delivered through some bizarre ghostly channeling unless I am given notice up front that the MC has supernatural abilities.

So, this was ... disappointing.

review 2012-04-21 00:00
The Dead Are Silent - Arthur Schnitzler short story1907spring 20123 M'stbr bustingebookGutenberg4 ratings Opening - HE could endure the quiet waiting in the carriage no longer; it was easier to get out and walk up and down. It was now dark; the few scattered lamps in the narrow side street quivered uneasily in the wind. The rain had stopped, the sidewalks were almost dry, but the rough-paved roadway was still moist, and little pools gleamed here and there.You can tell that Schnitzler was buddy of Freud3*