logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Diana-Rowland
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-10-12 18:16
My Life as a White Trash Zombie
My Life as A White Trash Zombie - Diana Rowland, Allison McLemore

Urban Fantasy isn´t my favorite genre, but I really enjoyed listening to this audiobook, narrated by Allison McLemore. What makes this story work is the self-deprecating humour of the main character, especially in the beginning when she isn´t aware of the fact that she is a zombie.

The second half wasn´t as strong as the first one and I could have done without the love-story (which was lame, tbh).

I can´t say I´m over the moon by this novel, but overall this was a fun read.

review 2018-09-25 18:32
Review of "My Life as a White Trash Zombie" (White Trash Zombie, #1) by Diana Rowland
My Life as a White Trash Zombie - Diana Rowland

This reader's personal opinion, ©2018, all rights reserved, not to be quoted, clipped or used in any way by goodreads, Google Play, amazon.com or other commercial booksellers*

No apocalypse, dystopia, Walking Dead type of zombies here. More along the lines of a werewolf bite creating more werewolves. Our world, our time — and zombies just like us so long as they get plenty of human brains to eat (vague mention of something about the enzymes ). Start turning more into movie-usual shambling disintegrating zombies if starved. Also not as slapstick as titles and covers indicate.

I'd been curious about these for a while seeing what everyone was saying on my book site feeds. Luckily, I got into the main character and enjoyed Angel's viewpoint on everything that was happening to her post-being-a-zombie. She had both a sense of humor and a serious side about everything going on despite a life that screened stereotypical white trash: high school dropout, dysfunctional and abusive home life, drug problems, wring crowd, etc.

I love the story arc and that becoming a zombie meant she thought about and fixed some aspects (well, sort of no drug problems now because don't work on zombies except now she's addicted to brains and safe from abusers with new zombie strength). She did come across way younger than the 21 the book said she was. She didn't ditch everyone she knew, even the ones clearly bad for her.

Overall, a very funny book. Too easy on how drug addiction and abuse handled and the ending a little hokey, but I'm looking forward to the next in series.  I like being in Angel's head and watching her growth

*©2018.  All rights reserved except permission is granted to author or publisher (except Penumbra Publishing) to reprint/quote in whole or in part. I may also have cross-posted on Libib, LibraryThing, and other sites including retailers like kobo and Barnes and Noble. Posting on any site does not grant that site permission to share with any third parties or indicate release of copyright.

Ratings scale used in absence of a booklikes suggested rating scale:

★★★★★ = All Time Favorite
★★★★½ = Extraordinary Book. Really Loved It.
★★★★☆ = Loved It.
★★★½☆ = Really Liked.
★★★☆☆ = Liked.
★★½☆☆ = Liked parts; parts only okay. Would read more by author.
★★☆☆☆ = Average.   Okay.
★½☆☆☆ = Disliked or meh? but kept reading in hopes would improve.
★☆☆☆☆ = Loathed It. Possibly DNF and a torturous read.
½☆☆☆☆ = So vile was a DNF or should have been. Cannot imagine anyone liking.  (Might also be just an "uploaded" word spew or collection that should not be dignified by calling itself a "published book." If author is going batshit crazy in the blogosphere over reviews -- I now know why they are getting bad reviews.  Or maybe author should take remedial classes for language written in until basic concepts like using sentences sink in. Is author even old enough to sign a publishing contract or do they need a legal guardian to sign for them?)

review 2018-09-15 22:57
My Life as a White Trash Zombie ★★★★★
My Life as A White Trash Zombie - Diana Rowland

I’m always happy when I read a book that I thoroughly enjoyed. I’m even happier when it was a book recommended by a friend. I’ve never cared for zombie stories, so I was a little dubious when Mike Finn recommended this one to me for the reading performance as much as for the story itself. But it delivered! The story itself was fun, with a little pathos, a little romance, and a little mystery. But the performance by Allison McLemore pushed it over the five-star threshold for me. The voice she gives the main character is absolutely perfect, and her pacing and emotion are spot on.

Audiobook, via Audible. Highly recommend. I’ll be looking for other books read by McLemore, for sure.

I read this for the 2018 Halloween Bingo square Deadlands: elements of the undead - zombies, wights, vampires and other revenants. It fits the square because, obviously, zombies.

review 2018-05-21 00:43
WHITE TRASH ZOMBIE UNCHAINED by DIANA ROWLAND
White Trash Zombie Unchained - Diana Rowland
Such a good book. This series is consistently good but this book exceeds the previous books a little which is really unusual. I loved the zombiegators. The romance was okay, but not really understandable on the guys part, especially in this book. But overall a really great book/great series.

review 2018-05-20 17:44
4.5 Out Of 5 "Zombie Love" STARS
White Trash Zombie Unchained - Diana Rowland

~BOOK BLURB~

White Trash Zombie Unchained

Diana Rowland

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Angel Crawford has finally pulled herself together (literally!) after her disastrous dismemberment on Mardi Gras. She’s putting the pieces of her life back in order and is ready to tackle whatever the future holds.

Too bad the future is a nasty bitch. There’s a new kind of zombie in town: mindless shamblers, infectious and ravenous.

With the threat of a full-blown shambler pandemic looming, and a loved one stricken, Angel and the “real” zombies scramble to find a cure. Yet when Angel uncovers the true reason the plague is spreading so quickly, she adds “no-holds-barred revenge” to her to-do list.

Angel is busting her ass dealing with shambling hordes, zombie gators, government jerks, and way too many mosquitos, but this white trash chick ain’t giving up.

Good thing, since the fate of the world is resting on her undead shoulders.

~MY QUICKIE REVIEW~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm thinking this could be the conclusion of the series…if it is, I'm fine with that it tidied everything and everyone up well.  I will miss it, though.  Angel has really grown on me.  I do believe she is my favorite zombie. Her and Liv (iZombie) are running neck and neck.

Somebody finally listened to me griping about the covers because this one is perfect.  This book (the whole series, actually) is a guilty pleasure at it's best…overtly cheesy at times, but sometimes cheesy is okay, at least when you really come to know and love the characters in a story, it can be.

๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏๏

Theme or Tone~ 5/5

Flow (Writing Style)~ 4.2/5

Backdrop (World Building)~ 4.5/5

Originality~ 5/5

Ending~ 5/5  Cliffhanger~ Nope…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Book Cover~ Hands down the best cover of the series.

Narration~ 4.5 -As always Allison McLemore is the voice of Angel Crawford