logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Die-Fl��sse-von-London
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-09-24 04:36
Rivers of London Vol 5: Cry Fox
Rivers of London Volume 5: Cry Fox - Ben Aaronovitch

Series: Rivers of London Graphic Novels #5

A quick read featuring Reynard up to his old tricks where he manages to involve Abigail in a kidnapping. Someone should tell that girl not to talk to foxes. Literally. But at least Dan's family is safe.

I read this for the "Darkest London" square for 2018 Halloween Bingo. I'm pretty sure it works. A lot of it takes place in London. And the estate must be near London.

Um, can I count this for Darkest London?

review 2018-09-24 00:33
The Girl Before: A Novel - J.P. Delaney for some square TBA
The Girl Before: A Novel - J.P. Delaney

I spent half a hour down a rabbit hole just because I couldn't remember if this was a library copy and Amazon deleted my review, which was witty and succinct and insightful but not spoilery, and not at all like the review of  a very tired person, which I am.

Good book, lots of twists in the spaghetti and many of them unexpected.

Good for genre: suspense, romantic suspense, darkest London, amateur sleuth.

Library copy

review 2018-09-22 18:20
Count Dracula
Dracula - Bram Stoker

So there's a reason why Dracula is a classic horror story. Stoker created the vampire that is still a thing in 2018. Why do writers come back again and again to the tale of a creature that was all about murder and mayhem?I tend to love Stoker's look at Dracula and vampires the most. I always side eyed writers that made vampires poor tortured and sad and alone. Stoker's first look at Count Dracula shows us a cunning character who is focused on wrecking Johnathan Harker's life and those connected to him.

"Dracula" focuses on Count Dracula who travels from Transylvania to England (London specifically) in order to spread more vampires. Fighting against him is Johnathan Harker, his new wife, Mina along with friends of the couple (Doctor John Seward, Quincey Morris, and Arthur Holmwood). The latter group also comes across a vampire slayer (whatever, that is what I am calling him) Abraham Van Helsing.

I think the saddest character in this is Lucy. She's best friends with Mina and has attracted many marriage proposals. When she finally agrees to marry Arthur, it would be seem that her life is perfect. However, she seems to be growing weaker and weaker and is sleepwalking. John calls in Van Helsing who suspects what is going on, but doesn't inform all parties. The end of Lucy always made me feel bad.

We also have the character of Renfield who is creepy as all get out. Reading about him collecting bugs, spiders, sparrows, and wanting a kitten or cat and finding out what he was eating and feeding to other animals was a bit much for me.

The book cuts things up by showing us the journal or diary entries from many of the characters. I can't really argue against this style of story-telling. It allows us into the characters heads. I do wish at times that we could have gotten more dialogue between characters though. Sometimes it just reads as flat sometimes. The flow was up and down. I think switching between characters/entries takes you out of the story at times.

I do wish that more movies/tv shows had been more faithful with the original work since you do get a sense of the camaraderie that has developed by all parties in order to stop Dracula especially when he ends up cursing Mina with vampirism.

The ending shows what happens after they all confronted Dracula which I liked.

review 2018-09-22 16:36
Hunter's Green - Phyllis A. Whitney for Country House Mystery
Hunter's Green - Phyllis A. Whitney

Would also work for Genre: Suspense, Terrifying Women, Murder Most Foul, Amateur Sleuth, and Romantic Suspense.

It's fun reading these old thrillers that are so slow, with hardly any murder, no kids or really old people, and servents neither seen nor heard. They're charmingly predictable. And although this was published in 68 and makes much of the brash young mods, they feel So Old Fashioned. There are phones, but only to ring up the doctor or the police to haul away the perpetrator. There are cars for running up to Town, and low speed pursuit, and explosive crashes. What I love most is that everyone stops at regular intervals to sit down and eat a hot meal. I suppose this is what people are talking about when they reminisce about a slower time.

I did have one great disappointment though: a device was quite deliberately introduced in the first act, but played no subsequent part in the plot. It wasn't even a red herring: it was just never mentioned again.

The only disturbing part of the story isn't meant to be:

My apologies for my failed spoiler tag.

Library copy

review 2018-09-19 07:01
Moments
Strength - Amy Daws

This is book #2 in the Lost In London series, and #5 in the London Lovers series. This book can be read as a standalone novel. For reader understanding, and to avoid spoilers, I recommend reading these series in order.

Hayden has had a tough time recently. He lost a loved one, was fighting depression, and lost who he believes was the love of his life. Then he meets someone he cannot stop thinking about. The timing sucks, but love gets you when you least expect it.

Vi does not want anything to do with the man who blew her off so quickly. When she sees him again she cannot stop her heart from wanting, but she can use her head and be smart. Is it possible to deny yourself something you were not sure you needed in the first place?

This was an emotional and deep story. These characters are fiercely independent and fight falling in the worst way. Chemistry is strong, however, and it wins every time. Sad, sweet, and sexy, this story and series are such a great read.