logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Dixie-Lyle
Load new posts () and activity
review 2016-09-25 09:12
A Deadly Tail (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mystery, #4)
A Deadly Tail - Dixie Lyle

I say this every time I read one of the books in this series, but I don't generally like books with talking animals.  This series continues to be the exception that proves the rule.  Partly because this is the kind of world I want to live in, where animal-human relationships continue beyond death, and partly because the author just makes it work, somehow (maybe because the only animals the MC can speak with are the ghost ones).

Book number 3 got a little outrageous, mythology-wise, but this book was more of the standard murder mystery; Lyle didn't try to outdo herself here and it works better because of it.  There's a very good, very clever mystery and a hilarious and ultimately very touching sub-plot revolving around Tango's attempts to write and direct a play using all the ghost animals in the graveyard.  The suspects aren't as fleshed out as they could have been, but there was so much going on I only noticed in retrospect.

I"m always surprised anew when I read one of these books because Kyle does, I think, an incredibly good job of writing mysteries that include genteel drunkenness, recreational drug use, a honey badger with seriously creepy, murderous intent and incredibly disturbing eating habits, hilarious if subtle sexual innuendo and the occasional swear word but still manages to make it very cozy.  The MC frequently breaks the fourth wall and comments to the reader and that works too, although I really enjoy her voice, so that might make me biased.

These books always leave me pleasantly surprised after I read them, so I'll definitely look for the next one.

I'm using this book for my Ghost Stories and Haunted Houses square in Halloween Book Bingo.  (It also qualifies for the Graveyard square).

review 2016-02-18 04:29
The Cat's Meow and A Dog's Eye View
A Deadly Tail - Dixie Lyle

This is a good book, for the most part. It was a bit confusing at first in how the dialogue of the animals is conveyed. It's very funny, and any animal lover will get a kick out of that aspect of the story.

Overall rating: 3.5/5.0 stars.

Reviewed for Affaire de Coeur Magazine: http://affairedecoeur.com.

review 2016-01-27 00:28
Marked Fur Murder (Whiskey, Tango & Foxtrot Mysteries, #3)
Marked Fur Murder - Dixie Lyle

This is one of those books and one of those series that most people would pass by based on the premise and the blurb, but most people would be missing out on some incredibly subtle, talented writing that blends humour with sadness, and fantasy with realism in a beautiful way.

Marked Fur Murder centers on Native American myths; specifically Thunderbirds.  I love reading about the N.A. myths (as well as the Australian Aboriginal ones, which are touched upon briefly too) so I found the plot particularly interesting, which made up a bit for how convoluted it got at some points.

A sub-plot about the enduring relationship between an elderly lady with Alzheimer's and her cat Marbles cost this story 1/2 star from me; not because it wasn't good - it was gorgeous and heart-rending - but because what happened to Marbles isn't something I can read about.  Seeing the karmic justice was awesome, but I'd have preferred not reading about it at all, but that's truly a personal issue.

Don't know if there will be a fourth book or not, but I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

review 2016-01-25 23:02
To Die Fur (Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot mystery, #2)
To Die Fur - Dixie Lyle

I can't describe this series without it sounding around-the-bend ludicrous and it's one I'd normally never go near because I don't like books about talking animals.  Even the official book synopsis makes it sound inane.  But it isn't.  Turns out it's really well-written and touching without being sappy; at least, if you're an animal lover. Her take on animal heaven and the pet cemetery is my idea of paradise and she puts a great spin on the Rainbow Bridge.

I put off reading this book for well over a year because I knew from the back of the book that it involved the death of an animal, a rare white liger.  As part of my cozy cull this month, I made myself pick it up.  The author gets full credit for being able to present this murder mystery without making me tear up and throughout most of the book I laughed out loud at the antics and dialogue between the cat and the dog.  I even read a small bit out loud to MT (cats and laser pointers).  The author gives the characters a wit and banter that just hits the perfect spot on my funny bone.  I deducted a star because in a series that starts with an over-the-top premise, some of the 'action' in this book was just too out there.

I've already started the third book, which returns to murder of the human variety.

review 2014-03-09 05:52
Excellent!
A Taste Fur Murder - Dixie Lyle

I loved this!  I'm a sucker for "woo-woo" in my mysteries, to begin with, so this one pretty  much had me at "ghost cat".   But the dialogue hooked me from like the second page and in between gales of laughter, I ended up reading out loud to the cats.  They graciously pretended they were interested.  There are only a few other authors who have the effect of making me wanting to follow someone around, reading great chunks of books out loud to them!

If Dixie Lyle can keep this up, this will be a series to be reckoned with!  I can't wait for the next book!