logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Don\'t-turn-around
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-06-26 12:22
Method To Block or Turn off Comments on Facebook Post on PC or Browser

Source: www.beingoptimist.com/how-to-turn-off-comments-on-facebook-post
Like Reblog
review 2020-06-24 16:48
One Good Turn
One Good Turn - Kate Atkinson

I don't know if I liked this book or was appalled by it. A little bit of both.

This was a confusing mishmash of characters and the book takes forever to get going.

Jackson and Julia are toxic as anything. There's a scene we get via Jackson and we learn about him and Julia and I just wanted to scream and drop the book right there. Also I don't even know what to say about Jackson. Or we supposed to feel sorry for him due to his sister or brother? Cause he sucks a lot I realized. And he really didn't investigate much in this one, just had remarkable coincidences happening.

Louise (inspector) was more interesting than Jackson and her interest in him didn't even seem believable.

Good lord, Martin. I just....I am going to need to sit and think on him a bit.

Gloria is also as terrible as her husband Graham I have to say. I just think it's hilarious she doesn't realize it. Or maybe she does when you get to that ending.

The writing was eh and the flow was so bad that I started to just want something to happen. And then there's just plot holes left unaddressed by the end of this book.

I needed a yarn wall at the 60 percent mark because seeing how everything and everyone was linked was a lot and I started to think the whole thing was just ridiculous after a while.

review 2020-06-06 14:52
The Turn of the Screw
The Turn of the Screw - Henry James

by Henry James

After reading the first couple of chapters, I actually went onto Wikipedia to find out what this story is about. I felt like I had come into the middle of something that hadn't been explained.

This is actually not unusual for stories written around the turn of the century. They have the wordiness of Victorian novels but often jump into the action without much explanation. I hadn't read James before and doubt that I will read anything by him again. I'm glad to have tried another well known author, even if he isn't going to be of further interest.

I found the story very difficult to get into. The dialogue sounded like everyone was in a perpetual state of surprise, the characters were not distinct and the plot seemed to take far too long to progress. For a short book, that's not good. The description had sounded really good. I'm just not at all impressed with the execution. Reading felt like more work that ploughing through a long Dickens book.

review 2020-06-03 16:19
Bad Turn - Zoë Sharp

I'm behind on reviews & in a brilliant move to remedy the situation, I immediately picked this at random from my kindle & began reading. Yep, my Queen of Procrastinators crown is intact.

Lots of reviews for this so I'll keep it short. Confession: I'd read a previous book in this series & it was just an ok read for me. Times have obviously changed because I really enjoyed this one.

Charlie is a smart, gutsy woman with a snarky sense of humour that kept me grinning while I ducked & covered through all the action sequences. Happily, you don't need to read these in sequence & it kept me more than entertained during 2 night shifts. I'll definitely be watching for the next one & hope to see more of the intriguing Mr. Schade.

Meanwhile, my PA is carefully selecting my next read.....

review 2020-04-30 20:57
Wrong Turn (RoadTripping #2) by Samantha Chase
Wrong Turn (RoadTripping #2) - Samantha Chase

If wishes were rainbows and heartache was sunshine, the world we be a much better place. However, we live in the real world and life just doesn't work out that way. So it's nice to take a step away for a while when reality tends to get a bit too real. Wrong Turn gives emotions a chance to take a breather and bask in the sun. Chase has dreamt up a trip worth taking in Chelsea and Drew. Whether they are the duo you love to hate or the sweetest kind of charm, this couple is one you'll never regret having taken a chance on.