logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Doug-Mahnke
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-09-30 03:43
Big Head is Back!
The Mask Omnibus Vol.2 (2nd Edition) - Peter Gross,Rich Hedden,Сибин Майналовски,John Arcudi,Bob Fingerman,Dough Mahnke,Evan Dorkin,Goran Delic

After the first omnibus of The Mask, volume 2 is more of 'fillers' with some good stories, some not. As always, the formula of the stories aren't much different than the rest. Here's the low down of what's inside of volume 2:

The Hunt for Green October - Every mercenary in the world is looking for the green mask and now, Ray Tuttle, a poor pawn shop owner bought the green menace and wear it to wreck havoc in Sky City! With so much chaos, Lieutenant Kellaway will do any thing to stop Big-Head from destroying people's lives! (3.5 out of 5)

World Tour - The Mask has gone to another dimension... Dark Horse Universe style! When mentally unstable General Blaire wears the mask, he visits Steel Harbor, Arcadia and Golden City to make chaos looks like a walk in the park. All the heroes from DHCU will do anything to stop Big Head! (2.5 out of 5)

Southern Discomfort - The Mask is now in New Orleans! Voodoo and madness stumbles upon the south where Big Head (worn by Eric Martin) is looking for his missing sister. He will tear New Orleans apart to find her, even if the supernatural and alligators is in his way! (3 out of 5)

Night of the Return of the Living Ipkiss... Kinda - The return of Stanley Ipkiss, zombified and wearing the mask to seek revenge in this short story! (3 out of 5)

Toys in the Attic - Aldo Krasker is on the edge and looking for new ideas to create a new toyline of toys when he bought a mask that gives him the idea he needs... and more! Out for revenge when he was mocked and ridicule during his younger days, Big Head is fulfilling what he wants, which is revenge, in a way New York City will never be the same again! And Lieutenant Kellaway is going to stop (again) Big Head from destroying the city. (3 out of 5)

Various writers have wrote their version of The Mask and so far, I enjoyed Evan Dorkin's The Hunt for Green October the most. The rest felt like a repeated formula that doesn't serve any better than the original two. Overall - I love and enjoy reading The Mask and its one of those comics that Dark Horse had a title that truly defines DHC.

review 2019-04-08 08:17
The Best-Selling Comic from the Blockbuster Movie in 2nd Edition Format!
The Mask Omnibus Volume 1 (The Mask) - Doug Mahnke,John Arcudi,Matt Webb,Keith Williams,Rich Perrotta

The real deal is the comic book version, not the movie adaptation. The movie was more of a friendly, nicer and fun comic with Jim Carreytaking the role of Stanley Ipkiss but for this original version, the comic takes place in characters that taken to wear the mask, and a more darker sinister approached but funnier than the movie. This is the second edition of an out-of-print omnibus of The Mask that collects The MaskThe Mask Returns and The Mask Strikes Back.

The Mask - When Stanley Ipkiss bought weird looking green color mask for his girlfriend Kathy, little did he know that what he holds will give him whatever he wish, true his dark side. Better known as Big-Head Killer, Ipkiss wretch havoc all over town and attracts mobsters and a giant named Walter that will stop him with any thing... if only they know the real power is in the mask.

The Mask Returns - The Big Head is back and now the mobster has it. More chaos, more havoc and more destruction... but is Big Head a 'he' or a 'she'. Lieutenant Kellaway had took the mask and took advantage of it and only Kathy will do any thing to stop Big Head... including Walter.

The Mask Strikes Back - When a young guy discovers the mask, his dreams come true - to be Big Head. Three of his friends too wants to be Big Head. The sighting of Big Head attracts Lieutenant Kellawayand the mob and will do any thing to stop the madness... including Walter.

The first two mini-series is a classic of its own. Writer John Arcudireally creates an interesting character that delves into the hidden desires of a person that corrupts a soul before the mask takes over. Doug Mahnke artwork had change to a more solid outline from the first appearance to the last (except for The Mask Strikes Back). While the second sequel pale in comparison of its two predecessors, this second edition is for those who missed out the first omnibus series, that has bad binding. This edition the binding is much more solid. If you haven't read The Mask of any of the comic books or you had enjoyed the movie adaptation but wants to read it (and believe me, its a whole different read), you can always pick up this edition at your local comic bookstores. I really love it.

review 2018-02-19 00:00
Dark Knights Rising: The Wild Hunt (2018-) #1 (Dark Nights: Metal (2017-))
Dark Knights Rising: The Wild Hunt (2018... Dark Knights Rising: The Wild Hunt (2018-) #1 (Dark Nights: Metal (2017-)) - Grant Morrison,Doug Mahnke,Wil Quintana,Tbd While this might be just my fault for picking this up as a one-shot since I want to get into Grant Morrision's Batman but the stuff about the monkeys was pretty great but everything else was a boring mess.
show activity (+)
review 2017-10-25 17:36
Review: Final Crisis by Grant Morrison et al
Final Crisis - Grant Morrison,J.G. Jones,Doug Mahnke

What a convoluted mess of a storyline. Morrison must have been tripping on some magic mushrooms to come up with this event. Not impressed at all, and the "intermission" of the crisis to go into two Superman tie-ins to the Final Crisis was worse than the major plotline.

I need science fiction to make sense if I am willing to suspend my disbelief; the science fiction in this book (issues #1-7, plus Final Crisis: Submit issue 1) is just random buzz words from tech bros combined with philosophical bullshit. It was headache inducing.

This wasn't just about saving humans/Earth, but all peoples and all planets in the 52 universes that make up DC. So a lot of minor characters show up without context or the need to have them there. Major characters are given the short stick in terms of page counts and panels. There are also so many plotlines; the JLA are all separate and just doing their own thing and yet the reader has to read about all their separate outings. It was a constant channel surf without a focus. Wonder Woman, Batwoman, and Catwoman go evil and become Darkseid's Furies yet we only get a glimpse of how WW went evil. Batman gets put in a jail cell early in the story and then disappears for 200 pages, just to show up again to die. There are three The Flash (Adam, Barry, and Wally), four Green Lanterns (Hal, Jon, Guy, and Alpha), and Too. Damn. Many. Alternate. Supermans (all from parallel universes). I don't think I even knew the real enemy - Monitor? Dark Seid? That stupid otherworldly vampire whose name I already forgot?

The Superman tie-ins were all about Superman and his parallel selves fighting Monitors to get an antidote to save Lois Lane. Not a fan of LL, so I didn't care about these issues at all.

The artwork was okay, but so many fights and explosions was draining on my eyes. The minor characters' costumes seemed to blur into a sea of blue and yellow after a while.

A confusing, headache is what this event was. I can't recommend. At least I got another square filled.

show activity (+)
review 2016-03-21 00:21
Yay!
Justice League (2011- ) #29 (Justice League (2011-) Graphic Novel) - Doug Mahnke,Geoff Johns

I'm really, really enjoying the Metal Men.  Like a lot.   I've also had a beer float mid-reading this - so, yeah, I'm buzzed-reading this - because I bought some from Framingham Beer Works and I just wanted to finish off the six pack.   I was planning on reading much, much more tonight but I'm feeling dizzy and woozy and might just call it a night.

Luckily, the dizzy and woozy didn't kick in until I finished this book.   Also, my Mac autocorrects the simple mistakes I've been making so far.   Yay again!

Snort.  I don't know if I can get my images onto Tumblr right now.   Basically, this just made me love this version of Magnus even more.   I'll get to that in a bit - but he's fiercely protective of the Metal Men and I like that so much about him!   Are you listening, DC?  I'd read more of Metal Men.  I may even spring for Legends of Tomorrow #1, although to be Frank the eight dollar price is a turn off since it's an anthology - and I only care about one story.   Metal Men.   It's all about Metal Men.

Still, I"m enjoying reading about them in this continuity and I would continue to do so if they had a more prominent role, or at least I had the slightest interest in more than one story in an eight dollar anthology of comic stories.  I like seeing how noble they are, and, yeah, I'm totally digging them right now.

I especially love Mercury's reaction to meeting Cyborg:

And Cyborg?  I might love Cyborg for his reaction to meeting them:

At one point, the Metal Men basically tell Magnus to run:

His reaction is just perfect.   Sighs.   I'm missing them in this reality already :(