logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Ember
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-08-19 16:28
Review: A Torch Against the Night (An Ember in the Ashes #2) by Sabaa Tahir
A Torch Against the Night - Sabaa Tahir

Set in a rich, high-fantasy world inspired by ancient Rome, Sabaa Tahir's AN EMBER IN THE ASHES told the story of Laia, a slave fighting for her family, and Elias, a young soldier fighting for his freedom.

Now, in A TORCH AGAINST THE NIGHT, Elias and Laia are running for their lives.

After the events of the Fourth Trial, Martial soldiers hunt the two fugitives as they flee the city of Serra and undertake a perilous journey through the heart of the Empire.

Laia is determined to break into Kauf the Empire s most secure and dangerous prison to save her brother, who is the key to the Scholars' survival. And Elias is determined to help Laia succeed, even if it means giving up his last chance at freedom.

But dark forces, human and otherworldly, work against Laia and Elias. The pair must fight every step of the way to outsmart their enemies: the bloodthirsty Emperor Marcus, the merciless Commandant, the sadistic Warden of Kauf, and, most heartbreaking of all, Helene Elias s former friend and the Empire s newest Blood Shrike.

Bound to Marcus's will, Helene faces a torturous mission of her own one that might destroy her: find the traitor Elias Veturius and the Scholar slave who helped him escape...and kill them both."

4.5 ★

This book starts off right where we were left last book. So if it has been a while since you read book one it might be helpful to read a recap or something like that, because it throws you right back into it.

In this book we’re also getting Helene’s POV and I really liked that. She was a important character from book and now we get to know her better and see her thought which I really liked.

I wasn’t sure about her in the first book, but now I really do like her and feel for her. I think out of all of them she had the toughest journey. Laia….. umm I’m torn when it comes to her. Sometimes I can’t stand her and other times I feel bad for her. She definitely grows in this book but still sometimes it feels she is not sure of anything or herself. Sometimes she is like she doesn’t know anything and unsure and other times she almost seems overconfident. I think that was part of me not really likening her at times.

Elias, I liked him and he also had a rough time in this book, but I think he handled it pretty good…… for the most part. I’m super curious to see what will become of him.

I thought the beginning of this book was a bit slow but oh boy did it pick up, the last half of this book I read though in one sitting because I didn’t want to put it down.  This book also gave me emotional whiplash for sure. There are so many twist that will make your head spin. It’s filled with action, betrayal, shocking discoveries , heartbreak. The last few chapters were brutal not just the onslaught but also emotionally.

I honestly have to say though sometimes I had a Game of Thrones flashback   in some scenes.

Yes, there is romance but I don’t think it takes the foreground all that much. In some parts it is important but others not at all.

Overall I enjoyed this book a lot. I rate it 4.5 ★

Available NOW

Amazon *** B&N  *** Kobo

review 2019-08-19 02:48
Brief Thoughts: Ember
Ember - Kristen Callihan

Ember

by Kristen Callihan
Darkest London #0.5 (novella)

Prequel to Firelight.

After a fire consumes the Ellis family fortune, the beautiful and resourceful Miranda finds herself faced with an impossible dilemma: enter a life of petty crime or watch her family succumb to poverty.  But once her fiancé learns of her descent into danger—and of the strange, new powers she's discovered—saving her family may come at the high price of her heart.

When Lord Benjamin Archer's one chance for redemption is destroyed by corrupt London antiquarian Hector Ellis, he vows to take what Ellis values most—his daughter Miranda.  Forced to hide his face behind masks, Archer travels the world hoping to escape the curse that plagues him so that he can finally claim his prize.

But once Archer returns home to London, will it be revenge he seeks?  Or will the flame-haired beauty ignite new, undeniable desires?

In preparation for Halloween Bingo 2019, I'm reading a few books and novellas that are either the first book or, in this case, a prequel to a book I want to read for the game.  I figured, what better book to read for the Darkest London square than a book from a series titled Darkest London, which follows a girl with a supernatural gift for creating fire?  Apparently, there's also a mystery involved in said book so I'm super excited to read it.

And so, I decided to go ahead and read Ember, which is the prequel novella to Firelight (the first book in the series), and found it intriguing enough to keep me hooked, even if the outline of the novella itself was a bit chaotic.  I'm also not sure that the novella did much for me as a story if it weren't attached to a book I'm interested in reading, and which has gotten enough positive critique for me to want to keep moving forward.

For a little while, I was having trouble following the novella's story's events, especially with the hopping timelines that didn't seem to have any reasoning behind them.  The brief tangents following Archer were pretty confusing, and didn't feel like they contributed much to the story.  I DID find that I liked Miranda, but that was the extent of how I felt about all the characters.  I didn't much care for Miranda's at-present lover nor her father.  And I'm not certain I saw how Miranda's and Archer's tangents fit together.

Maybe it'll all make sense in Firelight, since the novella is supposed to give more of an insight into the first book of the series, according to a lot of reviews I'd skimmed out of curiosity.  So I decided to get it read.  So rather than being a historical romance with a paranormal twist, the conclusion of Ember was rather open-ended and bittersweet.  There's so much unresolved conflict going on in Miranda's life that I'm tempted to just hop right into the book to get at a possible Happily Ever After... or at least a more satisfying resolution for her.

After all, there are still more books in this series I can read for the Darkest London square, right?  The series is seven books long, and any of them would fit the square... and then some!

Source: anicheungbookabyss.blogspot.com/2019/08/brief-thoughts-ember.html
review 2019-08-15 15:44
Review: An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes #1) by Sabaa Tahir
An Ember in the Ashes - Sabaa Tahir

Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free.

Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.

It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.

But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.

There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.

I finally got to this book that been sitting on my shelf forever and I’m so happy I did.  I really enjoyed this book, it was a bit different from what I thought it be but that made it even a bit better.

I really enjoyed this setting, its dark, twisted and cruel world they live in but it was fun to follow them and see how they will survive,  if they survive.

The first half was a bit slower as far as word building and character introduction but I actually in this case really enjoyed the slower pace. It didn’t give you the feeling of too much info dumping which was nice.

The book has duel POV, Elias and Laia , but we get an even bigger view into their world from each of them . Elias the soldiers and other view and Laia the slaves and some of the resistance, both are not pretty but fun to follow each and their journeys.

I really enjoyed the characters for the most part, I liked Elias right away, but Laia took a bit getting used to not sure why. But I ended up liking her. I also liked Helene very much, there were a few I wasn’t sure about and that I didn’t trust as much, and still don’t at the end but we shall see.

The romance I wasn’t sure what we get … a love triangle, love quadrangle or what….. I had some theories but that got squashed shockingly like a bug on the windshield.

There are some pretty good plot twists some will give you whiplash, some I saw coming others really surprised me.  We also get plenty of action and some heart breaking moments.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and I can’t wait to see what happens next.  This was a great first book into a new series that I really enjoyed.

I rate it 4 ★

Available NOW

Amazon *** B&N *** Kobo

review 2019-06-13 23:16
Book Review for Among Ash & Ember by Dani Rene
Among Ash and Ember - Dani René

Omg !What a great story we loved it from beginning to end. The story was tragic and intense and edgy and had a love story like no other.Secrets Secrets nothing but secrets.

We loved the characters of the story they were and electric bunch. Katerina aka Kitten was feisty and determined and sweet,kind and loving and take no crap kind of girl who wasn't afraid to speak her mind.

Ash was hard and dominate and a -hole most of the time but, accepted that part of himself and he was little bit broken and waded down by secrets.

The story was filled with drama and romance and a whole lot of sadness.One minute you were laughing the next you were crying.Ember we loved him he made us laugh and well as cried also he was the light to the darkness that was his twin Ash.

A well written story that had us engrossed from the very first pages and we fell head over heels in love with each and every character.

review 2019-05-20 15:38
In den Fängen der Finsternis // A Reaper at the Gates!!!
 Elias & Laia - In den Fängen der Finsternis - Sabaa Tahir

German and english review (spoiler cause I will post the summary but my actual review is spoilerfree)

audible // Netgalley ebook ARC

Inhalt: Wo Leben ist, ist Hoffnung

Das Martialenimperium steht am Abgrund: Imperator Marcus überzieht das Land mit dem Blut der Unschuldigen, während Blutgreif Helena diese zu schützen versucht. Weit im Osten weiß Laia, dass sie den Nachtbringer aufhalten muss, und das ohne Elias. Denn Elias ist nun als Seelenfänger an die Zwischenstatt, das Geisterreich, gebunden. Dazu verdammt, einer uralten Macht bedingungslos zu dienen - auch wenn dies bedeutet, die Frau aufzugeben, die er liebt.

Meine Bewertung: Die Bücher werden besser und besser!!!

Die Serie wird mehr und mehr zu meiner absoluten Lieblingsserie. So so so verdammt gut. Der Schreibstil ist einfach so verdammt gut. Dann hab ich nebenbei auch das Hörbuch gehört und die Sprecher machen die Sache einfach so so so so gut.

Und die Charaktere. Sie sind inzwischen meine Babies. Außer Elias, ich werde mit ihm einfach nicht wirklich warm und das hat sich in dem Band nicht wirklich geändert. Aber ich liebe Laia, ich liebe Helena. Livia. Harper. Ich liebe die vielen verschiedenen Beziehungen zwischen all den Charakteren.

Alles in allem war das Buch wirklich unglaublich gut, ich hab ein bisschen gebraucht bis ich reingefunden habe, weil es schon eine Weile her ist seit ich das zweite Buch gelesen habe. Aber es war wieder voller Action, es war voll von Wendungen. Es war großartig!!!

***

Summary: Beyond the Empire and within it, the threat of war looms ever larger.

The Blood Shrike, Helene Aquilla, is assailed on all sides. Emperor Marcus, haunted by his past, grows increasingly unstable, while the Commandant capitalizes on his madness to bolster her own power. As Helene searches for a way to hold back the approaching darkness, her sister's life and the lives of all those in the Empire hang in the balance.

Far to the east, Laia of Serra knows the fate of the world lies not in the machinations of the Martial court, but in stopping the Nightbringer. But while hunting for a way to bring him down, Laia faces unexpected threats from those she hoped would aid her, and is drawn into a battle she never thought she'd have to fight.

And in the land between the living and the dead, Elias Veturius has given up his freedom to serve as Soul Catcher. But in doing so, he has vowed himself to an ancient power that will stop at nothing to ensure Elias's devotion--even at the cost of his humanity.

My review: These books keep getting better and better!!!

This series is slowly but surely becoming one of my favorites. So so so damn good. The writing was just incredible. I also listened to the audiobook while reading and the people reading did such an amazing job.

And the characters. They have become my babies. Except for Elias, I just don't like him that much, he's just not doing anything for me, and that didn't change with this book. But I love Laia, I love Helene. Livia. Harper. I love all the different relationships that these characters have.

All in all, I truly loved this book, it took me a bit to get into it, cause it feels like ages since I read the second book. But there was so much action, there were so many twists and turns. It was amazing!!!

<!-- Used for easily cloning the properly namespaced rect -->