logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Epic
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-06-23 05:29
THE ENVOY: THE EPIC RESCUE OF THE LAST JEWS OF EUROPE IN THE DESPEARTE CLOSING MONTHS OF WORLD WAR II by Alex Kershaw
The Envoy: The Epic Rescue of the Last Jews of Europe in the Desperate Closing Months of World War II - Alex Kershaw
I have had this book for a long time.  I thought it was a novel.  I was surprised.  It is history and what a read!  I have heard of Raoul Wallenberg but more as an afterthought.  He was no afterthought.  He was brave and willing to risk his life to save Hungarian Jews towards the end of WWII.  THE ENVOY tells the story of what he and other diplomats from neutral countries did to help save as many people as they could.  This book gives all the sides from the Nazi side to the Jewish side to the Hungarian Arrow Cross side to the Soviet side.

I was sickened by Eichmann and his words and actions.  I felt sorrow for those who could not be saved.  I also felt hope for those who were saved and survived the war.  I felt anger for the Wallenberg family and their not being able to get the truth from the Soviets and for the lack of compassion shown by the Swedish diplomatic corps.  Raoul was a good man who deserves his story told and his family deserves to know what really happened to him.
review 2020-06-12 20:10
Delightful, tragic, and beautiful
The Once and Future King - T.H. White

I totally understand why this is a classic now. It's long but powerful. It's humorous and serious by turns. Just a fun and yet deep take on King Arthur, Guenever, and Lancelot.

review 2020-04-28 15:29
Sundiata: An Epic of Old Mali - D.T. Naine

Third re-read for the World Lit I course I am teaching.

Sundiata might have been the basis for the Lion King (or Hamlet, though there are plenty of reasons why I give source material credit for that story to the Danes and such - but there is a possibility). Unlike the European stories which focus on the son far more than the mother, the Mali epic does a large attempt of backstory for Solgon, who is not one of those wonderous beautiful creatures.

The story is a good quick read, and this version keeps the oral tone of the tale. If you haven't read this, you really should. If everyone in the world knows about Beowulf, they should also know about this.

show activity (+)
review 2020-02-20 16:34
Review ~ Awesome!
Kingshold - D.P. Woolliscroft

4.5

Book source ~ Tour

Jyuth is an ancient wizard who founded the Kingdom of Edland and put the butt of the first king on the throne in Kingshold. Over the great span of years he’s had to return to kill a corrupt king and put a new one in place, so this time is no different. Except this king and queen are exceptionally corrupt and perverse and have left no heirs to inherit the throne. So, a weary Jyuth declares that there will be no more kings. There will instead be a Lord Protector and anyone can run for the position. However, only those with 1000 gold crowns can vote. This is an obvious advantage to the nobility of Edland and the mass of poor citizens don’t like it. When Mareth, a middle-aged drunken bard who happens to be a third son of a nobel, is put forth as a candidate the people rally behind him. But is it enough?

What an epic fantasy! Mareth isn’t the only one who can tell a good tale. The author really drops the reader right into this story and then takes off running. There are several points of view that bring it all together and it is enthralling. I like the world and the characters are awesome. The whole election thing is interesting, too. But there are also sinister forces at work and things aren’t always as they seem. Intriguing! While this story has a conclusion there is obviously more about this world that needs told. Things are brewing, people! I’m looking forward to more stories about Edland, Kingshold, and the characters I’ve come to care about. May they all survive what’s coming.

Source: imavoraciousreader.blogspot.com/2020/02/kingshold.html
review 2020-02-18 06:55
Back
Epic - Elle Kennedy,Sarina Bowen

This book is #2.5, in the Him series.  This book should not be read as a standalone.  It is best to read these in order and appreciate the goodness that is this incredible series.

We go back to the lives of Wes & Jamie.  It is short and sweet but like all stories in the Him series, it is worth every moment.  Jamie is at a crossroads about to move up in his Coaching job.

Wes is still doing what he does best.  Loving Jamie and making headlines as a star.  Now with their lives ahead of them - the best really is yet to come.  I love every visit we have to this series.  Was overjoyed to spend time with this amazing couple.  I give this read a 5/5 Kitty's Paws UP!