logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Evil
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-09-11 14:30
The Beginning of the Evil...
First Evil (Fear Street Cheerleaders 1) - Stine

Oh Fear Street, how I have missed you. I think next year for Halloween bingo I may just read nothing but Fear Street books for squares. This is the first book in Stine's Fear Street Cheerleaders series. There are five books. As a teen I loved this whole series and couldn't wait for all of the installments. Fear Street and Shadyside High sounded like such dark and scary places and I always cracked up when something would happen and the police would just be all, well "Fear Street." This book definitely has a lot of girl get some sense moments, and there is actually not one, but two deaths. Stine never does shy away from killing off characters in a gruesome way. What was surprising is how we follow one main character and then it switches to another who will remain the lead for the rest of the series.

"First Evil" follows sisters Bobbi and Corky Corcoran. Both girls were very good cheerleaders back in their hometown and even were part of a team that went to state and appeared on ESPN. Seriously this gets mentioned a lot and I loved it. However, not everyone wants Bobbi and Corky to join the Shadyside cheerleading squad. When an accident leaves the former head cheerleader unable to walk again, Bobbi is named the new head cheerleader which causes a lot of resentment towards her. And then accidents start happening and Bobbi wonders if someone or something is stalking her.

So I loved Bobbi. She really wants to just be a cheerleader and make friends. She does make some dumb mistakes though. And at one point when she seems to throw herself into "dating" one of the local football players who has ties to another cheerleader I just shook my head. Bobbi and Corki though don't share a lot of scenes together though after a certain point which I thought was a mistake. Bobbi does try to go to Corki to talk to her about what she has seen and what she thinks is happening to her, but her sister doesn't believe her.

Corki is treated as a secondary character through the majority of the sister, until she is not and then we get to see more of her personality. We also follow former head cheerleader Jennifer and current cheerleader and queen of resentment Kimmy. Stine perfectly captures teen girls and how quickly they can turn on one another.

The writing is good, short and to the point at times. Stine definitely makes you scared about what is going on with Bobbi and also Fear Street in general. Also how does anyone live on Fear Street at this point? It's like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and everyone realized how weird their town was and never brought it up really.

The ending was really good and I just maybe laughed at someone just going Fear Street and people stopped investigating what really happened. This is the first in a five book series, so think that Stine did a great job of making you care about the characters you read about and what happens next.

review 2019-09-02 18:32
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil - John Berendt

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil is advertised as a true crime classic and while a big part of the book is about the Jim Williams murder trial, I didn´t get the impression that the main focus of this book lies on the murder trial or the actual mystery surrounding the murder.

This book is more about beautiful Savannah and the people Behrendt has met while being a resident of the town. And oh my, these people are eccentrics in the very best kind of way. It was such a joy reading about these weird characters and their antics and Behrendt never describes them in a mean or disparaging way. Add to this that I absolutely fell in love with his descriptions of Savannah. After reading this book, I really want to visit this town sometime.

So in the end I really loved reading this book, not because of it´s true crime content, but because of Behrendts storytelling. And because it was such an entertaining read.

review 2019-08-29 18:45
CRICKET HUNTERS by Jeremy Hepler
Cricket Hunters - Jeremy Hepler

CRICKET HUNTERS proved to be compelling reading. Once I got going, I didn't want to put it down!

In the town of Oak Mott, Texas, back in 1998, Celia and her gang of friends call themselves Cricket Hunters. All is fun and games until one of them disappears. Fast forward fifteen years, and another member of their group vanishes-but this time it's Celia's husband. In her search for him, eerie things are happening. On top of that his family is blaming her for his absence. Will Celia and her group ever learn what happened to their missing friend? Will present time Celia find or discover what happened to her husband? You'll have to read this to find out!

I had a few issues with this book. At first, I wasn't sure if I was meant to be feeling empathy or sympathy for any of the characters. (I'm still not sure, really.) I found that task difficult. The only characters I truly liked were Natalie and Omar, and they weren't around as much as I would have liked. Luckily, I don't need to like any of the characters as long as the plot grabs me and this one did.

One other thing that bothered me, and this is purely personal is

the violence done to various cats. I'm a cat owner and I didn't like that one bit.

(spoiler show)

I understood the reasons behind why it was done and I did keep reading, but I didn't like it.

Because I found the plot engaging and the mystery interesting, I stuck with it and was surprised by a few things along the way. I always love when that happens because I'm rarely surprised these days. Overall, this was a fine coming of age story, (with some horrific aspects), as well as a suspenseful mystery and I recommend it!

Available Sunday September 1st!

Get your copy here: CRICKET HUNTERS

*Thanks to Silver Shamrock publishing for the e-ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review. This is it!

review 2019-08-20 18:08
The Evil Princess vs. The Brace Knight
The Evil Princess vs. The Brave Knight - Jennifer L. Holm
Sister and brother, evil princess and brave knight. They lived together in a castle but that didn’t always mean that they got along. The Evil Princess liked to be mean to the Brave Knight. The Brave Knight liked to be brave but he could also be mean, when the Evil Princess was evil to him. The Magic Mirror got tired of their mischief so she sent them each to their rooms!

That was fine…….at first. They played in their rooms and did what Evil Princesses and Brave Knights do by themselves. Then, it got rather boring as they each had no one to play with. The Magic Mirror said they could each come out ONLY if they played nice together. When they came out of their rooms, it was boring playing nice together then, they decided to go on a quest together and then, well……let’s just say that the Evil Princess and the Brave Knight just might need to spend more time in their rooms later.

This is a cute picture book that teaches a good lesson on playing together and getting along but what really gets resolved in the end? It also helps children discover that not all kids get along and that perhaps they need to find something to do beside doing the same thing every day. The illustrations were comical and colorful. A very fun and engaging book.

review 2019-08-19 18:45
THE DRAGON FACTORY by Jonathan Maberry, narrated by Ray Porter
The Dragon Factory - Ray Porter,Jonathan Maberry

Together, narrator Ray Porter and author Jonathan Maberry form an unbeatable team!

I'm not going to write a full review because I'm way behind the times on this book, (it was published back in 2011.) Military/Action type books aren't really my thing, but with Ray Porter narrating, and Maberry writing-now they ARE!  So much so, that I'm starting the next book in this series right now!

*Thank you to my local library for the digital loan of this audiobook. Libraries RULE!*