logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Falling-Kingdoms
Load new posts () and activity
review SPOILER ALERT! 2018-05-05 20:57
Great villains, annoying heroes
Falling Kingdoms - Morgan Rhodes,Michelle Rowen

***Spoilers ahead you’ve been warned***

I rather enjoyed this one. Somewhat. The characters are really what drives this book (some of them that is) and while the plot moves at a medium pace, it’s understandable as this introduces you to the setting, the characters and what’s in store for us as readers.

World building is straight forward and there’s a handy guide in the beginning so you can figure out who is who and from which Kingdom (there are three). It pretty much centralizes on a small group that are central to the main plot and it’s easy to figure out who is who as you quickly start developing favorites :)

And this is where it starts getting interesting. I notice this happens sometimes with fantasy books. The good characters are downright annoying, nauseating (even more so when the love factor is involved) and induce eye rolling moments while reading. The not so nice characters are  more interesting to read, you quietly cheer for them and hope they turn out for the better because you don’t want them going down that path because most likely, they’ll end up being gone and you’ll have nothing else to read but the good guys.

I tried to like Cleo. I really did. However all I see is a little naive twit who’s annoying and I don’t really see her worth in this book and I wonder why Magnus just doesn’t end her so she can join good ol dependable Theon. I am hoping she turns out better in the later books but so far she’s not looking so good and her romance with Theon was so eye rolling inducing it’s characters like these that make or break the novel.

Thankfully, I love the Magnus story arc. He’s turned into a jerk but it’s not really his fault as dad isn’t really nice. The thing with Lucia is creepy and although they’re not blood related it still gives moments of queasiness (dude, you have like so many girls in the Kingdom come on). That being said though, I love reading about Magnus and Lucia. Their story lines are interesting, they have faults, and they deal with it (albeit, perhaps not in an all too healthy manner).

The story arc with Jonas was also interesting and I wish more was written about him (I think Cleo’s got way too much time in spotlight) as he’s gone through so much to get his revenge and only to find out it just opened a giant Pandora’s box and we’re heading towards more epic battling.

The latter third of the book gets really interesting. I’m only hoping there’s going to be a good outcome for everyone and I really hope Cleo’s character improves because she’s really what could make or break my desire to continue onto this series. Sometimes it takes that one character to ruin it all. That being said, I think it’s off to a great start and I’m ready for some more! Great for those into YA fantasy.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-03-30 03:39
What an awesome but bloody book!!!!
Falling Kingdoms - Morgan Rhodes,Michelle Rowen

What an awesome, start to what I hope is a fantastic series. I bought the first book but didn't have money to buy the next one. But luckily my library had it as an ebook, so I downloaded that one as well.

I can't decide who was my favorite character or if I really have one as of yet, there all pretty screwed up. I would probably say if I had to choose one it would be Jones, I do really feel bad for him, after all his brother was killed in front of him. And all his father said to him was that it was his brother's death was meant to be. Also while Cleo didn't kill Jones's brother, she could have tried to prevent it.

Speaking of Cleo I like her as well, but she was stupid for the reason above, but also by what she does later, that plays apart in another death. I really feel bad for things that happen to her and to people that she loves. I really can't wait to see what happens to her next.

One person I am not sure about but I probably will start to like is Magnus. The way he feels about him "sister" Luica is gross, even if she isn't his sister by blood. He didn't know that at the time he was having those feelings towards her. Also is he bad or not, I am leading towards not.

Now about Luica, I am not sure how I feel about her as of yet. I am hoping I can figure that out in the next book. Sometimes I like I like her and other times, I am not sure. That's all I really have to say about her for right now.

Boy this book had a lot of death in it for being the first book in a pretty long series. A couple of these deaths were in the prologue. And Jones's brother in the beginning also. I really enjoyed the book a whole lot besides all the killings. I thought it was awesome from the beginning until the very end. I really hope all four of the main characters, stay alive at least until the last book. But who knows with all the deaths in this first book.

I really can't wait to see what happens next and if I will be right about Magnus becoming my favorite. I really love a guy that is not all prefect, that has some badness to them, and that isn't weak. But one that can also have a soft spot and be gently when he wants to be.

review 2016-10-12 03:09
Mini-Review of "Gathering Darkness" (Falling Kingdoms, #3) by Morgan Rhodes
Gathering Darkness: A Falling Kingdoms Novel - Morgan Rhodes

Great read; as melodramatic as the previous books in series with lots of game changers, new and broken alliances, actual and hinted romances (hurray for the lack of love triangles here), heroic acts and horrible failures, deaths of some and introduction of new characters ...just a great fantasy epic with twists around every corner.

review 2016-08-18 02:01
Review of "Rebel Spring" (Falling Kingdom, #2) by Morgan Rhodes
Rebel Spring: A Falling Kingdoms Novel - Morgan Rhodes

This reader's personal opinion, ©2016, all rights reserved, not to be quoted, clipped or used in any way by Penumbra Publishing, Google Play, amazon.com or other commercial booksellers*

Shaping up to be an excellent series.  Straight up fantasy that's definitely "my cup of tea."

This, unlike some middle of trilogy (or longer series), had a story that moved; rapid paced action.  Never devolves into "diverse group moving endlessly around imaginary map" territory despite the number of kingdoms and places involved.

review 2016-08-12 16:26
Frozen Tides (Falling Kingdoms #4) by Morgan Rhodes
Frozen Tides: A Falling Kingdoms Novel - Morgan Rhodes

Honestly 3 stars for this book being so plain laughable.

Okay, I’m pretty sure that when I gave Gathering Darkness a read (since I was giving the Falling Kingdoms series another chance) I thought that Frozen Tides was actually going somewhere.

From the beginning we start off with the characters and what happened with them and yada, yada, yada. To be honest, the only characters whose perspectives I COULD read were: Magnus, Cleo, Amara, and maybe Felix. I don’t know, it depended on the amount of stupidity I can take.

I hate Lucia and Jonas with a passion that is indescribable. I’ve hated the both of them since page one of Falling Kingdoms!

Unfortunately, the plot was basically going nowhere. Most of it was just the Cleo-Magnus storyline, Felix being all over the place, just Jonas being annoying, and Lucia making even more dumb decisions because

she clearly never learned from Alexei. Magnus is shocked right now? Wait till he finds out that his “sister” knocked herself up with Alexei’s kid.

(spoiler show)

While I’d appreciated Gaius as a villain, in this book his presence was completely downplayed. Also, I think that

the author needs to stop constantly putting random things in the story. One minute Gaius’s mistress is Magnus’s real mother and the next, it’s actually Queen Althea. Like the author needs to stop!

(spoiler show)

And here’s for the grand finale:

Theon had a twin brother. My god I was actually dying from laughter at this point. I’m not even joking this is how the scene goes:

twin brother: Hi! I’m Theon’s brother—the troublemaker! Haha, all I did was make trouble. We’re identical twins!

Nic: Your father and brother were killed by Prince Magnus Damora.

twin brother: OMG I HAVE TO GET REVENGE!!

Me: What the eff, didn’t you show up TWO MINUTES AGO?!

Nic: Yeah, he’ll take revenge cause Cleo’s blind (she’s in love with Magnus) and LOL it’s just paving way for the additional and unnecessary drama for the next book.

(spoiler show)

Honestly, with all due respect, the Falling Kingdoms series can be easily shortened because usually a lot of drama (or just plain nothing) happens in the books! I see no reason for this series to be 6 books! It’s all just a buildup for the last book! Because in terms of relevant plot there’s no progress!