Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Fantasy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-03-22 22:19
The Shadow Series- Book 1...
Wake of Vultures - Lila Bowen

I LOVED this story! It's going on my 10* favorites shelf. I think you absolutely have to listen to the audio to get the full experience of Nettie Lonesome aka Nat aka Rhett.

On the surface it's a dark and gritty, western fantasy but down deep it's a whole lot more then that. The author touches on quite a few serious topics-gender identity; sexual orientation, racism, cultural identity, slavery etc.

The entire story was just so well written too. If you haven't read it, you should definitely add it the audio to your 'TBR-Now' pile.

review 2018-03-22 01:48
Storm Front - Jim Butcher

It started off slow, got really good around the middle and then fizzled out at the end. I did like Harry but I think the way his character was written, was not enough to draw me into his world. When the murderer was revealed, I just shrugged as there was no investment for me. There was not enough explanation of how wizards came to be, the White Council, his guardian Morgan, Harry's supposed crimes, etc. I know this is the first book in the series but it left too many unanswered questions. I may read the second book, but I'm in no great hurry.

review 2018-03-22 00:38
Master of the House of Darts by Aliette de Bodard
Master of the House of Darts - Aliette de Bodard

Series: Obsidian and Blood #3

In this conclusion to the Obsidian and Blood trilogy, Acatl has to investigate a possible plague after a warrior collapses during the Revered Speaker's return ceremony. Acatl is High Priest of the Dead and the whole trilogy is a historical fantasy based on the Aztec Empire in the 15th century. It's pretty neat, although somewhat bloody (you know the Aztecs and blood sacrifices).

The only bummer was that I found that the text had a higher number of mistakes than I like (a few missing words and typos).

review 2018-03-22 00:21
Frankenstein in Baghdad: A Novel - Ahmed Saadawi
“Because I'm made up of body parts of people from diverse backgrounds - ethnicities, tribes, races and social classes - I represent the impossible mix that never was achieved in the past. I'm the first true Iraqi citizen, he (the Whatsitsname) thinks.”

I'm completely gobsmacked after finishing FRANKENSTEIN IN BAGHDAD. I didn't really know what to expect. I'm not usually a big horror reader, but this sounded so interesting, I decided how could it hurt to try? So I borrowed the fairly short library book, telling myself I could just give it back if I wasn't into it. Not only was I into it, I read it quickly in two sittings and I've been talking about this and one other book to anyone who will listen for days.

The large number of characters are fully realized and formed. It's incredibly complex and has a deep, twisty narrative with various interwoven storylines. It's satire, dark witty humor, and on a surface level both funny and freakish. Then the minute you think for a second about what's going on, this horror novel is deeply disturbing on myriad levels. It's allegorical, it's a straight-up retelling of Shelley's Frankenstein, it's a government spoof, and a few other things.

In US-occupied Baghdad, we start off with classified documents about a "story." It involves all the usual nonsense the US government is fond of doing, and my first thought was "I can see the government classifying everything and arresting people for a story." Seemed highly realistic to me.

It may be a substandard horror novel. I wasn't scared. It may be a poor translation, or it may simply be that the terror is found in a different reading. I was disturbed and slightly tortured about the underlying message and circumstance being satirized -- the American occupation of Baghdad, the constant drones, the literal blowing-apart of both people and a country.

There is some true brilliance of social, political, national, religious, human, etc commentary offered.Some people found it "slow." I'd guess they were looking for a horror novel only, not one that integrates the many facets this novel brings.

review 2018-03-21 19:18
Finally, finally finished.
Ink, Iron, and Glass - Gwendolyn Clare,Mike Heath

This book was painful to make it all the way to the end of, but I've already DNF'd so many books this month and this one was a request I actually made. So I powered through. It took me a month, but I finished.

It feels like Clare had a general idea of what she wanted to write, even a set of rough character sketches, and then never hammered it into anything solid. There were a lot of fabulous ideas here, but they were all over the place. Worldbooks are a really cool concept. The ability to create an entire world, simply by scribing it into one of these, sounded like something I'd normally fall in love with. The problem was that the descriptions only skimmed the surface. I never saw deeper than the idea itself, and that was the case for most of what is in this story.

Add in the fact that the pace feels maddeningly slow for most of the book, and then picks up in a mad rush to the end, and you have a book that drove me nuts. I never felt invested. Every time I thought sometime was starting to peak my interest, the book would meander away on a tangent and my questions weren't answered. Argh.

So 2 stars to this one, because I only 1 star books I didn't finish. Sorry book. Your cover was so promising.