logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Fantasy
Load new posts () and activity
review 2021-04-05 20:18
review 2021-01-23 20:47
Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness
Shadow of Night - Deborah Harkness
Season two of the tv show started and I knew I had to read Shadow of Night before watching it.
This book is better than the first. The first now feels more like an introduction to me. This one was exciting from beginning to end, and it literally picks up where the first story leaves off.
We learn so much more about Diana. We see what a beautiful relationship her and Matthew have, and how tightly woven their bond really is. You also get a glimpse of things you didn't see coming.
I have to admit, I wonder if the conclusion can keep the momentum going? Oh, I am excited to learn!
I'm not much of a historical fan but this is one series that I can't get enough of!

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2021/01/shadow-of-night-by-deborah-harkness-3.html
review 2020-12-10 06:24
The Bright and Breaking Sea (Captain Kit Brightling, #1
The Bright and Breaking Sea - Chloe Neill

I'm wavering between 3.5 and 4 stars.  This first in a new series reads like it could almost be a middle grade story, except for one romantic scene which I know my niece, at least, would wrinkle her nose at.  It's still a great story, just rather more bright and optimistic than is usually offered to us jaded adults.  It also lacks the snark Neill is generally known for, but then again, her Devil's Isle series wasn't snarky either.

Chloe Neill walks a fine line between imagining a world where women are common in historically male roles, and acknowledging the gender bias that exists in this one.  I'm not convinced she pulled it off; I'd have rather she stick to one truth or the other, but it wasn't problematic and didn't affect my enjoyment of the book.

Mostly, it's a new concept, and a new series, so I'd imagine there some growing pains and adjustments ahead, but it was a nice escape and I'm interested in seeing where future books take me and the characters.

review 2020-12-03 07:14
Grave War (Alex Craft, #7)
Grave War - Kalayna Price

The final book of the series, this is the one that wraps up the whole thing.  I couldn't put it down, but I can't say I totally loved it, but that's because it didn't end the way I'd have chosen, and I felt that there were endings left undone, or not really done to any satisfaction.  At least mine.  But it was well written, and well plotted and I got a huge amount of satisfaction at having called the major plot twist from the very start of the series.

I never doubted for a second that Alex's father was the High Court Fairy King.

(spoiler show)

So there was that.

It's a series I'll miss, and re-read, but I'm happy the author got to end the story on her terms.

review 2020-11-28 16:30
Slayer by Kiersten White
Slayer - Kiersten White

I've wanted to read this book for the longest time, and to get a chance to read it free, even better! Thanks, Kindle!
Being a fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and knowing she is sort-of part of the book, I still went into this with a clear and open mind. Glad I did too, it wasn't exactly like Buffy but in a good way. It was original.
So, Nina, or Athena, is the last slayer. She didn't exactly know it though, so this is a coming-of-slayer story. It works, and I really enjoyed reading about it. There's some great characters, like Cillian and Artemis. There's action and adventure at every turn. Plus there's a dash of romance and drama to mix it all up.
Something for everyone!
I definitely look forward to more from this author.

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2020/11/slayer-by-kiersten-white-59.html