logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: February
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-04-01 10:16
A Beautiful Book about Letting People In
THE SOUND OF THE WORLD BY HEART - Giacomo Bevilacqua

This was a beautiful book with a cute message that tells us to be approachable if we want people to communicate with us. It is a guy who is a photographer, is hearing challenged, and has bet his editor that he can go for a certain time without anybody talking to him. A girl begins to show up in every picture he takes though and things begin to change.

I have shared some of my favorite bits from the book below:

review SPOILER ALERT! 2019-04-01 10:13
Riveted by Meljean Brook is Riveting for the Most Part
Riveted - Meljean Brook

Annika hails from an island only inhabited by women. Due to their homosexuality, they hide themselves away from the world and encourage myths to keep people away. When she comes across a scientist who is going to study that island, she must keep him away. Failing to do so and falling in love with him, Annika must minimize the damage and exposure his presence threatens. She left her home to look for her sister, Kalla, who was ousted by the elders when she took the blame for something Annika had done.

I like the relationship between the protagonists because none of them took the other for granted. They proved themselves to each other and worked together as a team when trouble came calling. Could have done without the gazillion sex scenes, but that’s just me.

What I didn’t like was the final reveal about Kalla’s whereabouts after all those years. Annika spent the world looking for her and she had been next door all this time? She claims she was protecting a megalomaniac from exposing their people. Okay, but she couldn’t have sent a missive or something to let her family know that she was still alive and well? How believable is that anyway?

review SPOILER ALERT! 2019-04-01 10:09
I Say Goodbye to Percy and Camp Half Blood
The Last Olympian - Rick Riordan

So, the series came to an end. I was sorry to say goodbye to the idiots — by which I mean Percy and Grover because Annabeth is too smart. But I am also glad that it ended on the right note. The source of all the trouble on Earth and the reason why the Titans had been able to tap into the demi-gods’ insecurity was because the kids’ parents refused to acknowledge their existence — or even claim them, in some cases. Percy finds a way to improve matters once he is done saving the world that is. The humor and the daring that only teenagers possess has made all the books in this series really shine. This one wasn’t different!

There is a scene where the main baddie, Kronos, gets sat upon:

Stop running, you fools!” Kronos yelled. “Stand and ACKK!”
That last part was because a panicked Hyperborean giant stumbled backwards and sat on top of him. The lord of time disappeared under a giant blue butt.

And there’s this one where Percy dares to sit in his Dad’s, Poseidon, chair on Mount Olympus:

The throne rumbled. A wave of gale-force anger slammed into me.
WHO DARES-
The voice stopped abruptly, The anger retreated, which was a good thing, because just those two words had almost blasted my mind to shreds.
Percy. My father’s voice was still angry but more controlled. What-exactly-are you doing on my throne?
“I’m sorry, Father,” I said. “I needed to get your attention.”
This was a very dangerous thing to do. Even for you. If I hadn’t looked before I blasted, you would now be a puddle of seawater.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2019-03-08 08:51
Review: Shadowman — I Like It; Will Continue!
Shadowman (2018) #1 - Andy Diggle,Stephen Segovia,Tonci Zonjic

Just started reading this series and liked it. I am sure I am meant to read the comics that have come before this one to fully appreciate it. Even without knowing Shadowman’s origin story, I wanted to keep reading. So, that’s good.

Some scenes:

review SPOILER ALERT! 2019-03-08 08:41
Review: The Sweet Far Thing — Long-Winded but Life-Like!
The Sweet Far Thing - Libba Bray

Hmmm… I came across an article that mentioned the magic in this series was actually a metaphor for girls coming into their own powers. Whether the author intended it to be taken that way or not, I found the book less random when I read with that in mind. Although, whenever the thought slipped my mind, I kept asking why after each scene! There is a certain randomness to it all that I didn’t like.

It might be that I was never able to connect with the characters that made me feel this way. The fact is that the protagonists were written to act their age and not as noble versions of themselves. So, they didn’t just use their powers for the greater good. They were selfish and materialistic, which is how we are most of the time. They shirked their responsibilities and delayed taking difficult decisions for as long as they could. Again, a very human thing to do.

Or, it could be because the main character was a headstrong girl who didn’t want to believe what was right in front of her eyes. We all do that, so why did it bother me so much to read about it?

What I did love were the parts when the MC decided to set things right and gave her stuffy brother a piece of her mind.

To sum up, I didn’t like this book because it felt too real. Lol