logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Fiction
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-08-16 19:06
The Well by Marie Sexton
The Well - Marie Sexton

The Well is a perfectly creepy, atmospheric little read for those of you who don’t like their horror all up in your face. I’m not going to say it scared me, because books rarely do, but it did build up a dastardly little mystery that did make my skin crawl a time or two.

It’s told in two timelines.

Twelve years ago Haven is goaded into staying the night at a rumored haunted house by his cousin Elise. It didn’t take a lot of goading though because Haven’s crush, Pierce, was also attending. He knew nothing was likely to happen either ghostly-wise or with Pierce but off he goes with Elise, Pierce and a few other teens for a night of spooky fun. When Elise decides to throw a séance things take a sinister turn and later Elise disappears.

The other timeline is set in the present day. Since that fateful night, Haven has been haunted by the loss of his favorite cousin Elise and spent most of his youth believing one of the teens present that night committed murder and has distanced himself from them. He’s become a horror writer to excise those demons but hasn’t kept in touch with his old group of friends – until now. Pierce, now a tv ghost hunter, has returned to town to do a segment on the vacant house and he wants Haven to participate. Old lusts are reignited as well as old suspicions . . .

There is a little romance here so if you don’t like that sort of thing invading your horror fiction you have been warned. Mostly this book is a slow burning murder-mystery with a side helping of ghostliness. I enjoyed it watching it all and especially loved the ghost-busting segment where scary sh*t actually happened! It kept me guessing and had just the right mix of thrills, atmosphere and engaging characters.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley courtesy of author Marie Sexton.

review 2017-08-16 19:04
The September Society - Charles Finch

I enjoyed this book but it was pretty slow paced for my liking. There were a few details that I figured out and knew what would happen eventually. There was also a lot of political discussions and talk about the clubs that seemed like filler to make the book longer. I lost interest in those parts. Otherwise, it was a good story and even though I knew some things in advance I didn't mind and actually looked forward to the time when it would happen. I'm just giving it 3 stars because of the stuff that didn't seem relevant to the story and made the book drag.  I did not mind the parts where he wants to ask Lady Gray to marry him but doesn't for so long because he is insecure.  I know some guys who are the same way so it seemed realistic to me.

Charles Lenox, amateur detective. receives a visitor one morning.  Lady Annabell is worried about her son who is missing.  She has already lost her husband and couldn't bear losing her son as well.  She told Lenox her story and when she told Lenox there was a dead cat in the middle of his room, stabbed with a letter opener, he decided to go at once. There he found several other things that seemed odd and one was a card that says "The September Society."  Lenox was sure that Lady Annabelle's son George had left him clues.

Throughout this story, Lenox is caught up in his thoughts about Lady Gray.  He wants to ask her to marry him but he is insecure and worried about ruining their friendship. When he sees a man coming from her home he starts to worry that he is too late and she has already chosen another man.  There are several times in the story when he sees her and wants to talk to her and ask her to marry him but the time never seems right and there are other people pulling her away.

review 2017-08-16 17:00
REVIEW BY DEBBIE - Clone Me a Lover (Interstellar Lovers #1) by Rosalie Redd
Clone Me a Lover - Rosalie Redd

Love is a dangerous, forbidden emotion.

Human clone Angelo Thirteen craves something illicit—to fall in love. When a tenacious female Altonian retrieves his escape pod from the rubble of a shipwreck, he may just get his chance. Drawn to her determined spirit and mesmerizing golden eyes, he must pierce the battle thickened walls surrounding her heart to uncover what he covets most.

Elle cares about two things in the universe—her ship and her brother. When her sibling is imprisoned on a savage ice world nothing will derail her from her recovery mission, that is, until she rescues a sexy human clone from the icy coldness of space. Falling for his tender, sensuous nature wasn’t part of her plan and now she must choose between saving her brother from Alta’s prison or risking her heart.

Lose yourself in the Interstellar Lovers series with this delicious tale of sensual discovery and longing.

@RosalieRedd, @debbiereadsbook, #Science_Fiction, #Romance, #Novella, 4 out of 5 (very good)

Source: sites.google.com/site/archaeolibrarian/debbie/clonemealoverinterstellarlovers1byrosalieredd
review 2017-08-16 15:12
The Red Parts
The Red Parts - Maggie Nelson

The Red Parts tells the story of Maggie Nelsons aunt Jane, who has been brutally murdered in 1969. 35 years after her death the real perpetrator has been caught and an arrest is about to happen (prior to this the death of Jane Mixer has been attributed to the "Michigan Murder" killer). Nelson takes the trial as a starting point to explore what kind of impact the death of Jane and the trial so many years later had on her family and herself. The Red Parts is much more an autobiographic account of Nelson´s family than a true crime account of the murder of Jane Mixer.

I have to admit there is something about this book that really bugged me and I don´t know exactly what it is. It´s my second attempt at an autobiography and both books have been about dysfunctional families. And I guess I have a problem with reading about dysfunctional families through the eyes of a family member, who clearly has issues himself and isn´t able to reflect proberly just how flawed and troubled the family actually is.

Nelson never proberly explores the behaviour of the other family members and their reactions during and after the trial (and the end of the trial doesn´t change the family in any way). For instance she never gives her family an opportunity to express their own thoughts on a particular topic:

Because there is currently no way to date DNA. under the right light, cells from thousands of years ago would glow right alongside the cells we are leaving in our wake today. Under the right light, the present and the past are indistinguishable.

This is bad news for someone hoping to "get away with murder," especially if his or her DNA has somehow made it into CODIS. I have no plans to murder anyone, but nonetheless I am glad that Schroeder does not ask me to provide a sample of my DNA to the state, as he does my mother, grandfather and uncle. The state wants genetic profiles related to Jane´s on file, so as to eliminate her as a possible contributor to DNA found at the crime scene. [...] I´m reminded of this all the more when my mother voices some skepticism about the Power of DNA testing, [...]

That is about the only thing that the mother comments on and apparently that is the only gripe that the mother, the grandfather and the uncle has with being catalogued in a DNA-database on a voluntary basis. If they have a problem with it, Nelson doesn´t bother to adress it.

Instead Nelson jumps through episodes of her own life, coming up with an odd murder mind / suicide mind theory which is baffling. And she just dumps too much personal informations and episodes of her life on the reader, some of them being downright repelling:

On my last night in the Gowanus loft my boyfriend asked if he could choke me with a silk stocking while we fucked. I assented; I even got the stocking out of my drawer myself. I have always had an erotic fondness for asphyxiation. It feels good not to breath a short while before coming, so that when you finally come and breathe together, you get an astonishing rush: the world comes back to you in a flood of color, pleasure, and breath.

I did not know that earlier that day he had read my journal, and had there found out that I was in love with someone else, that I had made love with someone else. I had only told him that I was leaving. As we had sex I suddenly suspected that he knew more than I´d told him. I suspected this when I said, aghast, "This is how Jane died", and he said, without missing beat, "I know".

Dear author, there is something like too much information.

Due to my lack in expertise when it comes to autobiographies I don´t feel comfortable in saying this is a bad book. And I certainly enjoyed reading some parts of it (especially the chapters about the murder trial). But there were things that didn´t work for me and left me with a queasy feeling.

review 2017-08-16 04:28
The Age of Scientific Sexism by Mari Ruti
The Age of Scientific Sexism: How Evolutionary Psychology Promotes Gender Profiling and Fans the Battle of the Sexes - Mari Ruti

"How evolutionary psychology promotes gender profiling and fans the battle of the sexes"

This isn’t a particularly light read but it’s a compulsively readable one. Ruti has read a number of the “popular” books concerning evolutionary psychology (as opposed to scientific publications although she cites some of those too), and presents an analysis of four of them. Ruti doesn’t have a scientific background but she’s analyzing the arguments put forward by popular science books and not criticizing the research methodology.* Although she only analyzes four in detail, she’s distilled the “standard narrative” from the many other books she's read and spends her time discussing how the individual books deviate from that standard narrative. Towards the end of her discussion, she does put forward some of her own opinions on sexuality, desire, and marriage but I don’t think that this detracts from her main arguments.

[* Ok, she may make a few criticisms of how some of the surveys are conducted, but they're basically common sense observations.]

There are unquestionably some moments during the read that Ruti’s frustration with the field is palpable, but I can certainly relate. The books she references are a mix of ones I will definitely avoid and ones that I plan to seek out. I think I expected more of a rant but it really was a fairly straightforward discussion of the points and arguments that the books actually presented and where the conclusions sometimes didn’t match those from the author’s academic papers. It’s an overview of the topic that helps to save the reader from slogging through quite so many books as Ruti did to get at the same information.

Some of the highlights (listed as I recall them) are that humans appear to be more promiscuous than the “standard narrative” allows and serial monogamy is a much more reasonable expectation than lifelong monogamy in most cases if monogamy is achievable at all. The “coy” female is basically patriarchal BS and there’s a theory that efforts to repress women’s sexuality only started at the dawn of agriculture. Although biological differences certainly exist, a lot of the gender differences that are bandied about can be explained through socialization and it’s impossible to determine where the effects of biology end and those of socialization start or vice versa. Oh, and the ideal of monogamous pair-bonding creates more stable workers and our society seems to value that over everything else.

I quite enjoyed it, so I think I’ll guardedly recommend it, as long as anyone picking it up realizes that it’s not as light a read as Inferior and they’ll actually be wading through arguments presented in other books.

Previous updates: