If you ask me what my favorite troupes are I will tell you Marriage of Convenience and Friends to Lovers but if you ask me what my favorite character type is it would have to be the Genius.
And yes with the all the stereotypes of focus and absentmindedness. I love knowledge and talent and grit. I love learning so that is a side benefit to these kinds of characters as well. I always pick up new knowledge random though it may be.
I adore genius heroines the most. I like that they are often focused on something else than the hero and need to find balance in their life and work the hero into their life.
So, I am going to do a series of lists on the Genius Hero and Heroine so that you too might find a love for this character type.
What is a genius exactly? I tried to go with the wider definition of the term and include all the types.
Here is what our friend Wiki says...
A genius is a person who displays exceptional intellectual ability, creativity, or originality, typically to a degree that is associated with the achievement of an unprecedented leap of insight. This may refer to a particular aspect of an individual, or the individual in his or her entirety; to a scholar in many subjects (e.g. Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz or Leonardo da Vinci) or a scholar in a single subject (e.g., Albert Einstein or Charles Darwin). There is no scientifically precise definition of genius, and the question of whether the notion itself has any real meaning has long been a subject of debate.
Note no women were given as examples. Bah. Woman Geniuses are being reclaimed for the ages (I will talk about this in a later post) but the truth is women didn't get to chance to fly in this way for a long time and even now our thinking around "smart" is still a bit stunted.
We tend to think of genius in the Sciences especially but there is all kinds of brilliant all kinds of fields. Let'em shine.
Here are some of my favorite Contemporary Romance Heroines who are sexy smart.
1. Nobody's Baby But Mine by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Physics professor Dr. Jane Darlington
2. All A Good Night, "Finding Mr. Right" by Jill Shalvis, Maggie Bell, Chemist
3. You've Got Male by Elizabeth Bevarly, Avery Nesbitt, Hacker
4. Falling for the CEO by Audra North, Finance genius Meredith Klaus
5. Girl Least Likely to Marry by Amy Andrews Scientist Cassie Barclay
6. The Reluctant Nerd by Sandra Paul, Graduate student Ernestine St. Bennett
7. The Nerd and the Marine by D.R. Grady Lainy Morrison, Electronics Expert
8. Mackenzie's Mission by Linda Howard Weapons Expert Caroline Evans
9. Neanderthal Seeks Human by Penny Reid Janie Morris. Architect/Account
10. Just One Taste by Louisa Edwards Dr. Rosemary Wilkins, Food Scientist
11. The Shy Bride by Lucy Monroe, Cassandra, Pianist
I would love your recommendations!
If you would like to vote for the best of the best in Genius Contemporary Heroines go to the Goodreads list: Sexy Smart: Best Genius Heroines of Contemporary Romance
Please look for the following post in this series:
Certified: Best Genius Hero in Paranormal Romance
Smarty Pants: Best Genius Heroes of Contemporary Romance
Supersmart: Best Genius Heroines of Paranormal Romance
Keen Minds: Best Genius Heroines Of Historical Romance
Tome: Sexiest Genius Hero Of Historical Romance
If you would like to check out Genius Women of Today and Yesterday go to the Pinterest Board: Sexy Smart: Best Genius Heroines of Romance.
Shakira is certified genius as is Alica Keys, Goldie Hawn, Sharon Stone, Janye Mansfield, Judy Holiday, and Charo.