logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Flight
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-08-20 00:35
Flight of the Dying Sun, Heirs of Ash #2 by Rich Wulf
Flight of the Dying Sun - Rich Wulf

So this was an enjoyable enough parade through Eberron, the quest is sufficiently high stakes, and the characters are beginning to come into sharper focus. However, that focus is all sneers, and I just can't reward that kind of behavior.

Wulf relies heavily on sneering. Characters sneer at each other when they make witty ripostes, when they mock each other, when they monologue, when they accept a plate of stew for dinner. Even when it seems like a nice, friendly conversation, a sneer creeps in.

On top of that, this trilogy is riddled with typographic errors: words repeated, words omitted, words misused - the best being a flag described as hanging 'limpidly' in 'Voyage'. The flag was translucent? Is this some magician's trick? I expect errors in these tie-in, mass market books, but there are so many errors.

Another potential issue is that 'Flight of the Dying Sun' makes heavy use of flashbacks, but with little warning and without the usual narrative tricks that signal the reader to what's going - a little bit of white space is mostly all we get.

I was surprised, in a good way, that we got as open and candid an explanation as one could ask for about the Day of Mourning - the magical event that left the entire nation of Cyre dead and surrounded in mist - as I thought that was going to be a deep secret forever. This doesn't have to be canon, many DMs will continue to offer alternative explanations in game, but it was nice to have an answer laid out like that.

Another book will round out the trilogy, let's hope people start smiling, or even grinning.

Heirs of Ash

Next: 'Rise of the Seventh Sun'

Previous: 'Voyage of the Mourning Dawn'

review 2019-07-14 15:21
Bosh investigate a complex kiling
Angels Flight (Harry Bosch #6) - Michael Connelly

Not a typical serial killer.

A lawyer was killed. And he is most likely silenced.

So who kill this one?

Racial tension is high. LA got a potential riot.

And no one is really telling the truth.

It all starts with a young girl being killed few years ago. Now the killer was being set free when this lawyer found new evidence that the police got the wrong guy.

That's started the whole thing.

The plot twist is unexpected. And there is a lot of dark surprise here.

review 2019-07-07 02:53
Flight of Magpies
Flight of Magpies - K.J. Charles

This was a pleasant story, wrapping up plot threads from the first book. I liked that Merrick found love too. This introduced Jonah who gets his own story (and that promises to be interesting). Looking forward to Crane and Stephen as side characters in his since they have some unfinished business.
Ripped Bodice Bingo: queer paranormal.

Booklikes-opoly: rolled a 5- #33 set in UK, $3 for bank of $ 61

review 2019-04-10 18:50
Review: Flight of a Starling
Flight of a Starling - Lisa Heathfield

I received a copy from Netgalley.

I have no idea if I liked this one or not to be perfectly honest. I didn’t dislike it, but I don’t know if I actually liked it. I snagged this one on a bit of cover lust more than anything reading. And I have a weakness for anything with a circus based theme.

It follows the story of twin sisters Rita and Lo who are the trapeze act in their family’s travelling circus. They move from town to town performing. Rita is the more responsible sister, while Lo is the more rebellious ones. They’ve known the other circus kids their whole lives and are a pretty close knit group.

I did find it totally fascinating how daily life within the circus group was portrayed, who was responsible for what, how the act was performed, the story behind it, was all really interesting. There was a deep sense of togetherness and family community.

However, when in one town, Lo makes friends with an outsider boy, things start changing. The girls are not supposed to have relationships with outsiders. The group moves all the time and the girls are essential to the act. Their father flat out forbids it. So Lo starts lying and sneaking about to be with this new boy she meets, Dean. Who’s nice enough and doesn’t judge her background. He presents a “normal” view of everyday life that she’s never experienced. And Dean’s life is not an easy one.

As they get to know each other more, the relationship changes and becomes something more romantic. Lo’s views start changing, her behaviour starts to change. Rita’s worried about her, and has her own drama when she starts falling for one of the much older men in the circus group, a very close family friend. Lo can’t understand it as Rita can’t get why Lo’s change in attitude. Then Lo discovers a shocking secret about the man Rita is convinced she’s now in love with.

Which adds a whole new element of secrets and family drama. There were some beautifully written passages as their girls struggle with their situation, thought provoking and emotional.

Then the novel takes an unexpected and quite devastating twist. It’s hinted at right at the beginning that something terrible happens and as I read a long I had sinking feelings I knew what was going to happen, but turned out it wasn’t anything like I thought it would be. And that made it all the more heart-breaking and surprising. A bitter sweet ending rounded the story off.

I wasn’t blown away by the novel, and as I said at the beginning I honestly don’t know if I liked it or not. It was…interesting to say the least.

Thank you to Netgalley and Egmont Publishing for approving my request to view the title.

review 2019-01-18 02:47
An Unlikely Hero. A Credible Threat. A Story You Hope Is Fiction
Flight of the Fox - Gray Basnight

Gray Basnight, the author, also participated in a Q&A with me, if you'd like to check it out.

Kill a man's dog, break a man's rules.

No, this isn't a John Wick tribute/knock-off. Not at all. Just another tale about a guy with his priorities right.

A grief-stricken, new widower finally snapped after the death of his dog (no doubt his emotional instability aided by the pain killers he took following the car accident that killed his wife), makes a ranting, angry, delusional phone call to the police, saying something about guns and shooting before killing a neighborhood resident and then running from the police. Authorities consider him potentially armed and dangerous.

Or at least that's what the authorities want you to think.

In reality, Samuel Teagarden is a math professor who was attacked for reasons that he doesn't understand by drones at his home. Teagarden makes a panicked call to the police for help but escapes, although his aged dog dies -- as does someone from the neighborhood. He has no idea what's going on (as the book opens), but he knows that someone is trying to kill him. As you can imagine, this is a pretty good motivation to move as quickly as you can -- which isn't easy, because the car accident that took his wife from him left him with two broken knees.

That's right, he's 49, he's a math teacher and he's running around on two mostly-healed broken knees -- you can practically see Tom Cruise or a Hemsworth lining up to get cast as him in the movie, right?

But why would someone want to kill him? Well, back before he got his doctorate, he was an entry-level code analyst for the CIA and he's dabbled in the field since -- and someone had sent him encoded correspondence from the earth twentieth century. Neither Teagarden or the sender realized how sensitive it was and that there were very powerful people in a "three-letter" agency who didn't want anyone decoding the correspondence, much less knowing it existed.

So, Teagarden has to evade whoever is trying to kill him and the police who think he killed someone -- while trying to decrypt this stack of code and figure out who is out for him. He has his wits, a little bit of cash and a little luck on his side, the other side has resources, drones, surveillance equipment, trained assassins and a federal budget backing them.

Sounds like the ingredients of a heckuva thriller right? It is. It's also one of those that I could utterly ruin for prospective readers by saying just a little more -- so I'm going to resist the temptation to give anything but that bird's eye view.

I can't tell you how or exactly when the book got its hook set in me - which is a good sign, I prefer not to know how I'm being manipulated. But I can say I was a little skeptical initially, but I remember something forced me to stop reading, and I was annoyed by it, and when I checked, it the progress meter was at 14%. That's not long at all for me to get as hooked as I was.

Now, all of us have read/watched a thriller where 3 out of the 4 people the protagonist has met in the last month have some necessary knowledge and/or connection that the protagonist needs to survive and/or meet their goal. Flight of the Fox is the same way -- Teagarden meets just the right people, catches all the right breaks, and so on -- but unlike typical protagonists, he notices this. He doesn't take it for granted, he sees it happening and it affects him. This is a little touch, but its these little things that shows Basnight's skill and uniqueness in the field.

Teagarden is a great character -- he's fallible, he's human, but he's also creative, smart and resourceful. He has to be to survive this situation. The assassin after him from the beginning is cold, efficient and deadly -- you never have any doubt about that. His colleagues and employer are also the kind of people you don't want to get on the wrong side of. There are a couple of fantastic characters in these pages and the rest are pretty good, too.

The story is the obligatory roller coaster -- it's fun, fast with a lot of twists and turns. You also spend a little time sure that you're in a free fall only to realize that everything's been under firm control the entire time. It's realistic enough to make you a little worried about drones flying overhead and to wonder just how reality-based the correspondence is -- but it never sacrifices the sense of a fun (and fictional . . . I hope) story for the reader. I heartily recommend it.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of this novel in exchange for this post and my honest opinion.

LetsReadIndie Reading Challenge 2019 Cloak & Dagger Challenge

Source: irresponsiblereader.com/2019/01/17/flight-of-the-fox-by-gray-basnight-an-unlikely-hero-a-credible-threat-a-story-you-hope-is-fiction