logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Fred-Rogers
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2018-12-09 20:15
The World According to Mister Rogers
The World According to Mister Rogers - Fred Rogers

I'm pretty sure I checked this out because I had seen the trailer for Won't You Be My Neighbor (which was also good and really informative). This felt like a good book to read this year. It's encouraging, it's hopeful, it's a reminder that not everything is terrible and that people are good. I've used the word good too much, so I'll stop here.

show activity (+)
review 2018-06-15 18:46
Everyone's TV Dad
The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember - Fred Rogers

The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember by Fred Rogers was a no-brainer for me because his show was and still is the loveliest program made for children. The book is a collection of quotes, songs, speeches, and anecdotes from Mr. Rogers on his philosophies on the topics he knows best: children and being a good human. It's divided into sections which in my opinion did nothing for the organization of the book because the subjects very loosely corresponded to the material gathered under the headings. So much of this book is packed full of amazing lines that I immediately shared via social media while others sadly seemed to be added as an afterthought or filler.

A few quotes that stood out to me:

“When we love a person, we accept him or her exactly as is: the lovely with the unlovely, the strong with the fearful, the true mixed in with the facade, and of course, the only way we can do it is by accepting ourselves that way.”

“It's very dramatic when two people come together to work something out. It's easy to take a gun and annihilate your opposition, but what is really exciting to me is to see people with differing views come together and finally respect each other.”

My favorite part was the introduction which was written by Mr. Rogers's wife and included stories of his upbringing, how they met each other, and what he was like off-camera. Turns out that he was so work-oriented that she often wondered if he was actually enjoying himself. (I really hope he was.) If you're looking for a positive lift (and I don't know why you wouldn't) then this is the perfect little book to leaf through. His message was always clear and never more so than in this little book which reminds us to always be kind and never shy away from talking about feelings with the children in your life. A simple enough concept but one which we need to hear now more than ever. 8/10

PS I have no idea why the font sizes are so screwy in this post but I couldn't for the life of me change it so...

What's Up Next: Tiny Beautiful Things: Advice on Love and Life From Dear Sugar by Cheryl Strayed

What I'm Currently Reading: The Letter, the Witch, and the Ring by John Bellairs

Source: readingfortheheckofit.blogspot.com
review 2013-11-21 00:00
I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers
I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers - Tim Madigan Within seconds I was tearing up.

Let's make sure we're clear right off the bat. I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers is not strictly about Mr. Rogers, but rather about how Rogers helped Tim Madigan through rough times, specifically Madigan's marriage, coming to grips with his relationship with his father, and his brother's life-threatening illness.

And to further clear up matters, I want you to know that I think this book is awesome. Yeah, it made me weepy throughout and yeah, it wasn't the Mr. Rogers biography I expected when I picked it up, but the moment I started reading none of that mattered.

I'm definitely not saying that everyone who reads this is going to have the same visceral experience as me, not if you weren't raised on Rogers' show as I was. That man could soothe with his words better than a soothesayer! (*rimshot*) And some of you may not appreciate all the god talk in this book. But hey, I'm an atheist and I managed to get past it. I think it helps if, every time the topic is broached, you transpose their Christian ideals to your own form of spirituality, even if that means nothing more than a belief in yourself. You do believe in yourself, don't you? You should, because you're a very special person. And if you do believe in yourself, well, that's faith!

*** EXCITING UPDATE!!! ***

A friend informed me that a friend of hers is writing the script for the film version of this book! I looked it up on IMDB and they seem to have the crew in order, but no cast yet. I wonder who will play Mr. Rogers.
review 2004-01-01 00:00
The World According to Mister Rogers: Important Things to Remember
The World According to Mister Rogers - Fred Rogers Favorite Quote: "What matters isn't how a person's innerlife finally puts together the alphabet and numbers of his outerlife. What really matters is whether he uses the alphabet for thedeclaration of a war or the description of a sunrise---his numbersfor the final count at Buchenwald or the specifics of a brand-newbridge.""Love is like infinity. You can't have more or less infinity, and youcan't compare two things to see if they're 'equally infinite.'Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.""I hope you're proud of yourself for the times you've said 'yes,'when all it meant was extra work for you and was seemingly helpfulonly to somebody else.""A high school student wrote to ask" 'What wasthe greatest event in American history?' I can't say. However, Isuspect that like so many 'great' events, it was something verysimple and very quiet with little or no fanfare....""One of my wise teachers, Dr. William F. Orr, told me, 'There is onlyone thing evil cannot stand and that is forgiveness.'"
review 1990-12-01 00:00
The Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers Book
The Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers Book - Arlene Croce [These notes were made in 1990:]. 192 pp., paperback. This book has two real strengths. One: like any Fred Astaire book worth its salt, it's full of wonderful production photos. And because 9 of 10 F&G movies were black-and-white, the decision to stick with a black-and-white format was a wise one (kept the price within reach). Two: Croce's extensive research means the book is full of surprising little stories and tidbits of information. What surprised me, however, especially from a dance critic of Croce's stature, was the relative lack of discussion of the dancing itself. A few general comments on each of the numbers - and mostly about the mise-en-scène or the history - is all we are given. Perhaps Croce feels she has done the job elsewhere. Croce writes fluently and well about a subject she is obviously keen on (without being breathless). I like this little book very much.