logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Fredrik-Backman
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-10-30 17:22
A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
A Man Called Ove: A Novel - Fredrik Backman

I read this for my real life book group which met and talked about this book two Monday's ago. Yep, I'm always with the program.

There is no point in writing a review for this book since I am still lazy and there are currently 37211 reviews on Goodreads and 141 of them written by my friends alone. This sounds like as good an excuse as any to duck out of a real review and just tell you that I loved it. I loved Ove, I loved his Aggravation Cat and I loved his relationship with sassy Parvenah (sp?) and her family. And mostly I loved that the old grump found a purpose to keep on living which is something so many people never find. It’s just a lovely story. You should read it if you haven’t already.

review 2017-09-28 00:00
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry: A Novel
My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry: A Novel - Fredrik Backman I don't know what to say about this book really. It's the kind of story that makes you feel like a kid again. It filled up my heart.
review 2017-09-24 17:08
If my judgemental ways had made me miss this book, it would have sucked hard!
A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Backman

I really am a judgmental girl. The synopsis, the cover – all left me eyeing the book laying on my shelf with utter distaste. Honestly, if I hadn’t been on vacation, bookless, and feeling like I should at least read a couple pages to tell the friend that had lent it to me that I tried, I would have missed this fabulous, wonderful read.

By the end of chapter 1, I was smiling. By chapter three, I was crying, and then pretty much the rest of the book was alternating between those two states of being. I then handed it over to my husband, because he was now bookless on vacation, too. He does not read these kinds of books. Mystery, fantasy, sure. Dude did not put it down.

I adored Ove and Parvaneh and every single one of the characters . There is not a single misstep.  If the synopsis isn’t your thing, then ignore it and just trust me. This is one book you don’t want to miss out on. It’s so funny and charming in all the best ways and ultimately, an amazing affirmation of life and love. This book punched me in the heart – let it punch you.

review 2017-08-31 20:04
Beartown by Frederik Backman
Beartown: A Novel - Fredrik Backman

A special thank you to NetGalley and Simon and Schuster Canada for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This book is about so much more than hockey.  What starts off as a story about a small village and their hockey team takes an unexpected turn in both character dissension and storyline.  Backman exposes the small town mentality of its residents and walks a fine line with his characterization of "crazy hockey parents" that are almost too stereotypical, but because his story is compelling, he gets away with it.

Beartown is universal in topic and appeal—sexism, homophobia, racism, and politics are issues prevalent in every town, anywhere.  In Beartown, as the underdogs that represent a community built on hockey, residents are willing to do whatever it takes to make their mark, including covering up a terrible crime against a young girl.  The mentality is staggering and mind blowing.  It is all too familiar where it is the victim that is the one bullied, threatened, and emotionally abused.  How society puts sports figures on a pedestal, they are untouchable, and not held responsible for their actions because they are hailed as some kind of hero.

Backman explores hope, perseverance, and the love of sport and juxtaposes it against the crippling burden of being the best and doing whatever it takes, no matter how high the price and at what cost.

review 2017-08-05 02:03
Not Feeling good After This One
Beartown: A Novel - Fredrik Backman

Wow. I don't feel good after finishing this. I feel depressed, blue. The writing was excellent the emotional depth completely overwhelming. I don't read books with rape. I don't like to see it used as entertainment. There was nothing here but brutal honesty about all the views. Each person had a different reaction, different reasoning, it was painful to read at times. I finished this book and didn't feel good. I'm glad I read it now, but if I had known what it was about before I picked it up I wouldn't have read it. I read for release, escape, the dream, not a nasty dose of reality like this book went into. I am rating this on my feelings on the book not the writing.
Humans can be so cruel. Humans can be such selfish jerks. Humans can reason anything no matter how horrible if it make sit easier on them. Humans justifying rape is WRONG. The mentality of this town is so wrong. Humans will fight dirty to stay in the crowd. Humans can also be kind, unwavering and wonderful but these standouts can be rare in tough times.
This book, arguh, emotional roller coaster. I've known all these people at one time in my life. The realistic feel of them makes the punch in the gut more painful. It's all begins to decline with the rape of a 15 year old girl. You know the story, you've herd in on the news on TV shows, the blame game. Mr. Backman takes us to a deeper level and to the outer levels of this traumatic event. How Hockey rules over empathy, over friends, over family in this town and how it goes down, down.