logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Fredrik-Backman
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-02-16 03:30
Oh Such A Wonderful Book
A Man Called Ove: A Novel - Fredrik Backman

Such a beautiful story. Heart breaking, heartwarming and completely enjoyable. Each character had such personalities, oi, I loved them all. I miss Ove already. Now I'm of to listen to a funny book to lighten my mood.

review 2017-12-31 00:00
Britt-Marie Was Here: A Novel
Britt-Marie Was Here: A Novel - Fredrik Backman Described on the blurb as a " Brilliant mix of belly-laughs, Insightful and touching I was really looking forward to my 4th Novel my Fredrick Blackman having recently read and loved [b:Beartown|33413128|Beartown|Fredrik Backman|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1482108618s/33413128.jpg|54171514] but unfortunatly Britt-Marie was a real let down as on completion I found it neither witty or touching and am afraid this book was quite twee and dull in my opinion.

I didnt connect with Britt-Marie as a fussy passive aggressive busybody and while I know other readers might connect or empathize with her I just found the story bizarre and far fetched and found myself disliking quite a lot about this book and on completion this one is going in my newly created Dull Shelf. Some of the conversations in the novel left me annoyed and bewildered as the characters actions and conversations rarely made sense and the humor was totally lost on me.

I think having read [b:Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine|31434883|Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine|Gail Honeyman|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1493724347s/31434883.jpg|47327681][bc:Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine|31434883|Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine|Gail Honeyman|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1493724347s/31434883.jpg|47327681] and found it fun, touching and insightful, "Britt Marie was here". just paled in comparrison and therefore a disappointing read for me.
review 2017-12-16 01:09
Get Off My Lawn, but Heartwarming
A Man Called Ove: A Novel - Fredrik Backman

People said Ove saw the world in black and white. But she was color. All the color he had.

It's funny when you know a book has the potential to make you emotional, but you still get punched in the face by the feels as soon as you finish the last pages. Because to me, that's always when the feelings truly hit. When you're done, and there is nothing else you can hear about those characters.

And Ove was an amazing character. He isn't the kind of man one is supposed to love. He is stubborn, taciturn, narrow on his views. And yet he is also loyal, dedicated and very funny with his sarcasm. Ove's heart is too big whether he knows that or not.

I couldn't be more happy with the ending, for the familiar and warming feeling of it. I'm glad we got a definitive tone out of this. Ove and all the other characters deserve it. If you've read this, you know he would be annoyed if he didn't get a definitive ending.

Did I mention there is a cat? A very sassy, clever cat? If the beautiful storyline and well written characters won't compel you to read this, do it for the cat!

Sentence: 10 "getting my kindle wet with tears" out of 10.

Review on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2215218725

review 2017-12-06 00:00
Kleine Stadt der großen Träume: Roman
Kleine Stadt der großen Träume: Roman - ... Kleine Stadt der großen Träume: Roman - Fredrik Backman,Antje Rieck-Blankenburg imageAudibleheadphones_icon_1

This book is a brilliant example of a characters driving plot. It explains also the very slow start. It is the way how the author introduces a readers to the casting. And on some level you'll just forget about the plot, it will become almost invisible. It is not THE DRAMA, it is not the story that will push you forward, but a blind desire to know how the characters will behave in every single situation, it is their motivations and their evolution that matter. The real treasure of this book are the characters and their development. WHY they did it. And WHO are they really. And the writing. NOT the story. Well, it is not that the story is not worth talking about. Actually it is a case for a fiery debate, especially in regards of recent public revelations.

Maybe it is the reason why I'd prefer this book to be a stand alone. I think I know who in this book are real heroes and who not. The story...do I want to know how it goes further? I don't think so.
But of course I'll read the next book. Because of its characters. And because of a superb writing.
And a little bit because of ice hockey.

image

P.S. Me first time listening to an audio book in a car. Instead of news. I'm a news junkie. But I WANTED to know what happens here next. I was driving home like a NORMAL driver( not like me normally), who was cared to get home NOT as quickly as possible (it is me normally), but safe. This book MAKES you safe. This book makes you CRAZY.
review 2017-11-28 22:01
THE DEAL OF A LIFETIME Review
The Deal of a Lifetime: A Novella - Fredrik Backman

I don’t think Fredrik Backman and his translators can do wrong. I’ve read all but one of his published works and at least liked all of them . . . and most of them I loved. Published just in time for Christmas, The Deal of a Lifetime is a short story (though it is being marketed as a novella, with an $18 price tag to boot) about a successful father and his estranged son. The story is a letter written on Christmas Eve from the father to his son, in which he reveals all about himself: his triumphs and failures, both as a businessman and a parent.

Like most other Backman stories, this is a beautiful, heart-wrenching, and honest look at humanity and relationships. Written in sterling prose, this whole damn book is quotable. I found myself gasping in shock at least once a page at just how spot-on Backman’s writing is, and how real his characters feel. Though this story clocks in at a scant 66 pages, it has the depth and pay-off of a long novella, at least.

I am usually skeptical of purchasing such little books for hefty prices, but I feel I got my ten bucks’ worth and then some out of this. Backman never disappoints, and this has moved me to read Britt-Marie Was Here before the end of the year. A delightful and melancholy Christmas fairy tale, I suspect I will be reading The Deal of a Lifetime annually. My highest recommendation.