logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Game-of-thrones
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2017-12-14 06:54
Nightfall
Nightfall - Peter Kujawinski,Jake Halpern

Nightfall is an odd one, because I definitely liked the idea and the atmosphere well more than the actual book, so much so that I pushed through to the end. I am absolutely not the  kind of reader who must finish everything she starts -- I abandon things all the time -- so that I kept trucking is decidedly in this book's favor. That said, I still wasn't super jazzed about Nightfall, so.

Three teenagers -- a sibling pair and another boy -- live on an island on a planet where the seasons are incredibly long. (Think Game of Thrones without the incest.) The entire community of the island comes in the spring, and leaves 14 years later in the fall. At that point, the island is given over to ... something, and everyone must leave their habitations just so. The teens get left behind in the push off the island, and must either make it through Night, or get off the island somehow in the cold and dark.

The environmental stuff was bananas good, and I was all in on the descriptions of the changing seasons and the changing island. The teens, maybe not so much. Several footballs are hidden for so long that it was almost insulting, plus it just made it hard to care. I also didn't find the ending particularly satisfying, but, per usual, ymmv. Winter is coming, I guess.

review 2017-07-11 15:52
A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin

There have already been many good reviews written about this book, some praising and some condemning.

I myself loved the book and the way it is narrated by the different characters. Is it weird that my favorite character is Tyrion?

The story is about a kingdom in turmoil for the throne (thus the title) and the many high families involved, including the exiled children of the previous king. Add to that the Black Guard that stands guard at the huge ice wall protecting the kingdom from the Others. The ending of this book was a surprise to me. I can't wait to see what Dany will do!

This book leaves a lot of unanswered questions which leads in to the rest of the series which I will most definitely read. I just hope the last book does indeed bring everything to a close.

One note of warning. This book describes human savagery and butchery at it's worst with beheadings and war, descriptions of rape and debasement of women and the "lowborn". If you are sensitive to that sort of thing then this book may not be for you.

show activity (+)
review 2017-06-06 20:26
A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin

Still enjoyed it loads the second time around.

review 2016-09-16 00:00
A Game of Thrones: Graphic Novel, Volume Four
A Game of Thrones: Graphic Novel, Volume Four - George R.R. Martin,Daniel Abraham,Tommy Patterson The people are very sameish, still interesting.
review 2016-08-11 15:14
A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin

I haven't seen any of the show on purpose. I knew it would be something that I would be immediately obsessed with. I also wanted to read the books, and by promising myself I could watch the show after reading, I knew I'd get to it faster.

I really enjoyed this book. The main reason why this isn't five-star rated is because I had a really hard time keeping characters, relationships, and houses straight. I understand this to be a common thing that readers (and watchers) experience. That, to me, was the only downfall.

The writing is insane - world creation is just beyond amazing. I really loved the relationship between Daenarys and Kahl. Jon Snow and Ghost are probably my favorite though, closely followed by Tyrion. I don't have a lot to say, especially since it's likely already been said by other reviewers. I'll definitely keep reading this series!

I did this as an Audio.