logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Graphic-Novel
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-08-14 16:36
One Trick Pony - Nathan Hale
One Trick Pony - Nathan Hale

I enjoyed this enormously: I liked the juxtaposition of multiple different cultures and societies. The premise was intriguing, the kids are resourceful, the parents believable, the robots were funny. Good set up and good payoff. I would thing this would be insanely popular since it's like to appeal to fans of fantasy and science fiction, to horse people and

Western people, everyone really, except aliens.

My only problem with the book is a technical detail: I had tremendous trouble reading the speech sometimes. Yes, I'm old and the eyes go and dim lighting isn't sufficient anymore et cetera, et cetera, but none of that troubles me when reading anything else. I'm not confident I know what the difficulty was: whether the book pages were too small (for me), or the font size too small (for me), or the contrast not sharp enough (for me). I can't say with any certainty. But it made for an uncomfortable experience. I'm a motivated reader, so I stuck with it, but I can imagine that not everyone would. YMMV

Library copy

review 2017-08-14 03:06
Fun crossover!
Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures #1 (of 6) - Matthew Manning,Jon Sommariva

IDW seems particularly adept at crossovers that might not seem to make much sense, that seem impossible to do in a way that isn't pure crack-fic, and yet... they pull it all together.   (There is an adult Batman/TMNT crossover, but that's not on sale: this was, and I had a coupon that would only work if I added three dollars.   It was five off fifteen I believe, and I figured I'd give this a try because the first three issues were on sale and worked in combination with the coupon.)

So far, this seems to make sense.   The Krangs create portals into an alternate universe - Batman's universe, and they release Batman's villains into the Turtle's world.   When Harvey Dent, aka Two-Face, makes his way back to his own world, Batman catches Two-Face, only to hear his rambling about another world.   (With Two-Face's duplicity and obsession with twos, I'm sure Batman thought it might be Dent's personal psychosis coming into play.)

And there are others: Joker and Harley, Poison Ivy, Clayface, The Mad Hatter.   Maybe another?  I'm too tired to go back and check.   The turtles fight Clayface and push him back through a portal, so I suspect Batman will bring Clayface back to Arkham.

For the others, though?   I suspect those will take place in the turtles' New York.   So far this is fun, but the art is a little hit and miss for me.   (I'm halfway through the second issue where a male character kinda looks like he has small boobs in the spandex, for example.)

It's not a killer for me, because it's mostly decent at the very least.   And I ended up buying the last three issues before the sale ends tomorrow, because after one issue I'm invested enough to want to know.   I'll probably want the original, adult mini-series, too, but not enough that I want it unless it's on sale.   (I sampled the first couple issues.   Good art technically, but the style is one that always makes me an unhappy reader.   I may just see if this comes up on Hoopla or get it from the library, to be honest.)

review 2017-08-13 20:28
Did I miss something?
Jessica Jones (2016-) #1 - Michael Gaydos,David Mack,Brian Michael Bendis

Jessica Jones, ex-superhero and current private investigator, is separated from her husband, or ex-husband, Luke Cage.   She's hiding their baby and this is a huge thing: Cage sends all his hero friends to ask about Danielle, and Jessica Jones tells them it'll be a Big Thing if they keep harassing her.

Meanwhile she picks up a case: a husband wakes up, says he's not married to his wife, and is in fact married to another woman.   He has a child with this woman.   Meanwhile, the lady who hired Jones can't have kids, so this may be something personal, something the husband is doing to hurt her.

Or maybe, she says, it's an alternate dimension or a super villain thing.  That happens in their world.   Maybe he's crazy.   But she wants Jessica to figure it out and tell her.

The problem is that without knowing why Jones was in jail or how she hid the baby during that time, without knowing what happened between her and Luke, I'm too confused to be anything but frustrated.  You don't show confusion by making the reader confused.

I didn't get enough answers for me to continue, although I might later on.  For now, I got this free as a Marvel Insider - I used my points to get some free comics - so I enjoyed getting to read this.  Think I'll wait for a sale to continue, though.

review 2017-08-13 20:21
Dragging a little
Batman (2016-) #28 - Tom King,June Chung,Mikel Janin

Like this is supposed to be a huge event, but there are small storylines that can feel tangental told in a row.   It's getting frustrating, especially since the Kite-Man story was so brilliant that if I don't care about stories after that, well, I just want the larger story to get on with it and wrap up quickly.

That's how I felt with this issue.   It's all Batman angst over not being able to stop deaths.   The way that the toll wracked up and why was interesting and I liked seeing Deadshot up against Deathstroke, but overall I want this war to be done.

Joker.  Riddler.   Forcing villains to choose sides and all get in one big fight.   Really?   Ugh.  I don't want to deal with this on a long term basis.  I wish it were all over and another storyline would pick up right now.

review 2017-08-13 20:15
Better
Suicide Squad (2016-) #23 - Rob Williams,Eddy Barrows,Eber Ferreira,Adriano Lucas,Agustin Padilla,Gus Vazquez

Less directly said about the Croc/Enchantress relationship, and more focus on getting things done. In this case, Waller orders the team to go after Killer Frost and Batman - and they start with Frost.   Still, they all know this will get Batman's attention.   There's more about Killer Frost and Diablo, too, especially since Waller forces Diablo to go after Frost when he claims to be, and genuinely seems to be, sick.

Katana, and how loyal she is, why she isn't chipped, and what she wants to do for the team versus what she will do if pushed are all in here as well, and that's more exciting character development, even as a bigger storyline unfolds - a storyline that ties directly into the last storyline, and will have some big implications in the larger DC world.

Looking forward to the next issue.