logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Graphic-Novel
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-06-27 19:31
[Book Review] Bitch Planet (Volume 2)
Bitch Planet Volume 2: President Bitch - Kelly Sue DeConnick

Also reviewed:
Bitch Planet, Volume 1

Look, I'm going to be honest,  if you've read Volume 1 you should already be interested in reading Volume 2 (that or you're offended by it's strong feminist agenda and therefore have no interest at all).  If you haven't read Volume 1, why are you looking for a review and not reading Volume 1?

Volume 2 continues the story that started in Volume 1, while also expanding on the histories that led to the current regime and imprisonments.  Not all of the women are imprisoned for simply spurious crimes.  Some of their pasts tie directly into the present.  And things on Auxiliary Compliance Outpost #2 are coming to a very explosive head.

Strongly recommend.

Advanced Reader Copy copy courtesy of Image Comics; differences may exist between uncorrected galley text and the final edition

Source: libromancersapprentice.blogspot.com/2017/06/book-review-bitch-planet-volume-2.html
review 2017-06-27 03:27
Dia de los Muertos
Ghosts - Raina Telgemeier,Raina Telgemeier

This is a cute graphic novel by the same author who brought us Sisters, Smile, and Drama.

The students in our Elementary school library love Telgemeier's books. This book brings up some serious issues including childhood cystic fibrosis, death, and fear. But the tone of the story isn't too serious.

Cat is upset about moving and worried about her younger sister Maya. But at the same time, Cat wants to be able to do her own thing without feeling guilty. Cat is sad about leaving her friends and moving to a new place and then she finds out the new town is filled with ghosts. She is angry and terrified at the same time. Celebrating the Day of the Dead helps Cat get more in touch with her feelings and her Mexican heritage.

This is a cute story with bright, colorful illustrations. It is aimed at the middle-grade student, probably 3rd thru 8th grade, depending on reading level. I like the way Telgemeier approaches serious issues in a way that kids understand and enjoy.

I read this book for my Graphic Novels class. :)

review 2017-06-26 23:12
Average
Royals (2017-) #4 - Al Ewing,Thony Silas,Jonboy Meyers

This series continues to be average, particularly when compared to Black Bolt, but I'm invested enough in the characters to keep reading.   Ronan the Accuser versus the Inhumans, and his ex-wife is amongst those on Hala.   Ouch.

I'm interested to see what will happen since he's been a part of the Black Mirror/Black Vortex saga.

I tend to forgot just how crippled Gorgon was, and I was touched by Medusa's asking after him.   Of course she would, but, yeah, it's nice to see Gorgon actually walking again, although I wonder if he'll actually be able to take on Ronan.  Primus, I hope so!  I want to see Gorgon smack down Ronan, but I'll have to wait another week.

Weak on character development, weak on truly interesting plot, and I just don't get why Marvel keeps hiring Al Ewing...

review 2017-06-26 23:06
I liked this better
Weapon X (2017-) #1 - Greg Pak,Greg Land

I've read criticisms that this was fairly typical.   Fair enough.   I liked this because there's a lot of metal being put in humans.

There's also a hatred of mutant kind rising, and this kind of prejudice is old school X-Men.  It's what they've been fighting against from the beginning: blind hate and fear.  I really like the way this was combined with a new type of weapon to fight them, so I was more interested in this storyline.   It wasn't original or spectacular enough to rate five stars, but it read better than most of the X-titles.  I'll most likely look into reading more of this series.

review 2017-06-26 23:03
Decent
Cable (2017-) #1 - James Robinson,Carlos Pacheco,Dale Keown

It's not horrible, but it's not spectacular.   In general, the new X-Titles are overpromising and underdelivering in my eyes.

The art is slick on this and it could potentially be interesting - but this first issue doesn't make me want to invest in the series.  There's not enough of a setup for a larger story, not enough tension, not enough that's, quite frankly, interesting to me.   Adding to my disinterest is the fact that this issue is almost solely about Cable.   Even solo series can be helped along by supporting characters, but there are none here.

We'll see if I ever pick up more of this series.  I do like Cable, particularly since he's started hanging out with Deadpool.   He was never a favorite, but I hated him when he first came on scene, and ended up liking him more, and then, bam, Deadpool and Cable.

I was hoping this would be good, but I'm not that into it.