logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Graphic-Novel
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-12-17 19:08
Holy [Bleep]!
The Walking Dead Volume 28 - Robert Kirkman

A giant herd of zombies is headed toward the band of survivors.  They need to act fast and implement a plan to draw them away and destroy them.  Will they succeed?

Something BIG happens in this volume.  I am not happy about it, but it's the kind of thing that can be expected in the world the characters live in.  I don't want to say more about this, because I'd need to write a spoiler to do so.  And I want to keep this review spoiler-free.

I am going to be interested in the way the events of this book affect what happens next.  There have been some major shifts in this volume.  At this point, I foresee that I'll stick with this series as long as it continues.  But is there a payout in sight?

review 2017-12-15 22:45
Review: American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
American Born Chinese - Gene Luen Yang

A quick read for older MG and YA readers. I picked this up from the library for the Donghzi Festival square.

The MC, Jin Wang, just wants to fit in. That was easy to do when living in San Francisco and Asian-American, not so easily done when your parents move you to a white suburban area during the middle school years and you are cast from the outset as "Other". To make matters worse, you fall for a pretty white girl who doesn't notice you are alive. So by the time you are in high school, so you invent a persona (Danny) and try to hide Jin Wang the person behind Danny. The few friends you have, both Asian-Americans as well and just as uncool, are not surprised but disappointed about your choices of late. Those friends may have come from an unlikely source, but for the sake of spoilers, I am not saying where those friends came from. Eventually, with the friends' help the persona of Danny goes away and Jin Wang finally accepts himself. The story was great but the art work so too basic, too amateurish to be interesting. I would read more from this author but I would like to see better art work next time.

review 2017-12-09 09:15
Motor Crush: Volume 1
Motor Crush Volume 1 - Babs Tarr,Brenden Fletcher,Cameron Stewart

This book has so many things to love. Fast, snappy, writing. Diverse and interesting characters. A unique and captivating sci-fi world. Action and intrigue. Art that evokes a bubblegummy retro anime vibe, with plenty of emotion, excellent panel layout, and fun future-punk flourishes. I'm hooked and can't wait for volume 2!

review 2017-12-07 00:36
Awesome graphic storytelling makes up for ugly art~
Wires and Nerve, Volume 1 - Marissa Meyer,Douglas Holgate

I liked this way more than I expected to. Honestly, I kind of hate the art, and I generally don't like it when novelists try out graphic storytelling. But this reads as if Meyer's a comic book pro, telling a fast and fun story that feels absolutely natural in graphic format. Iko was always the most fun character out of the bunch, and despite the ugly art, this was a super enjoyable read. More please!

review 2017-12-04 16:40
The Golden Compass Graphic Novel, Complete Edition (His Dark Materials) - Philip Pullman

A great visualization of the novel. It's nice to see the characters as Pullman describes them and the story done in the spirit much closer to the original than the movie.