logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Graphic-Novel
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-07-15 21:32
Here's Negan
The Walking Dead: Here's Negan! - Robert Kirkman

I liked this well enough, but it feels kind of unnecessary.  Negan the big bad got that way because reasons.  The reasons didn't strike me as particularly special for a zombie apocalypse.  He was kind of a jerk before the dead started to rise, and then he became a jerk who experienced loss and was able to get other people to follow him, to increase their chances of not dying.  And he obtained his signature barbed-wire bat.

review 2018-07-15 14:47
The Adventure Zone: Here There Be Gerblins by McElroys
The Adventure Zone: Here There Be Gerblins - Clint McElroy,Griffin McElroy,Justin McElroy,Travis McElroy,Carey Pietsch

This comes out this Tuesday, July 17th - order or pick it up from your local bookseller!

I don't do podcasts, but when a comic lands on my doorstep riffing on D&D I'm going to pay attention. The McElroy's have done a great job translating the often bizarre, silly and fun world of role-playing games into an entertaining adventure. I can't comment on how they've translated the podcast itself - where they play in real time - into the graphic novel form, but the jokes landed for me without any other experience.

Taako, Merle, and Magnus are intrepid adventurers on their way to liaise with...adventure. They intend to help Merle's cousin pick up treasure with the help of Barry Bluejeans. There are deeper currents to contend with, of course. Things start to go wrong, and its wonderful. The three must use what wits they have, spells and strength to get out alive and perhaps figure out what it is they're supposed to be doing. The ever-helpful DM occasionally pops in with a timely quip or reminder.

The art by Carey Pietsch (Lumberjanes) suits the tone of the book, and I can't wait for more. Not enough to bother with a podcast or anything, but still pretty impatient.

review 2018-07-14 23:58
X-Files: Night Lights, Book # 4 by John Rozum
Night Lights - John Rozum

Of the two X-Files comic collections I picked up, this was the stronger. I feel like these three stories pushed the boundaries of what the X-Files could do. Network television, especially in the 90s, was limited in what it could and could not do. Rozum seems to have caught on that, while he couldn't make canonical changes to the series, he could definitely do some weird shit.

review 2018-07-14 15:11
Captain Marvel, Volume 1: Higher, Further, Faster, More

This is yet another graphic novel that I picked up off of Amazon Prime on an impulse. I saw Avengers Infinity War not too long ago. I had heard that the next Avengers movie will feature Captain Marvel and early next year she will get her own movie so I wanted to learn more about her. I remember the Male Captain Marvel from the seventies but this is a whole new character.

Captain Marvel, Volume 1 is written by Kelly Sue DeConnick with art by David Lopez. This book includes issues 1 through 6 of the comic series and one self contained story. The tale begins with Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) finding an alien trapped in a capsule heading to earth. She saves the alien and then returns him to it's home world.

Once she arrives Captain Marvel discovers that the alien's planet is in danger and in conflict with the Galactic Alliance and the Spartax. She decides to stay and help the alien race but this will set off a chain of events that could alter all of the Marvel Universe and put her at odds with The Avengers. This book also includes appearances from The Guardians Of The Galaxy and Iron Man.

My main complaint about this book was that since I didn't know much about this character I was wanting a little orgin story but I didn't get it. Even though it started with a first issue it felt like I was starting a story in the middle. I realize that this is how the Marvel comics universe works, everything is connected and if you don't know anything about the universe you may be a little lost but I still would have liked a better starting point.

This is an entertaining book though.The characters were interesting,  the art was decent, the story was ok but nothing extraordinary. The book held my interest but wasn't as good as The Totally Awesome Hulk which I read not too long ago. There was a lot of potential in this book though, I would read more if I got the chance and I'm now looking forward to the upcoming movie.

review 2018-07-13 16:10
When bad guys go good...mostly
The Bad Guys: Episode 1 - Aaron Blabey

The Bad Guys by Aaron Blabey originally had me quite frustrated because I felt that the labeling (the library's call number) misrepresented the content of the book. [Essentially The Bad Guys was labeled as a Young Reader meaning that the intended audience was anywhere from 2nd-4th grade depending on the reading level of the child. I feel that it was more accurately categorized as an Easy Reader (1st-2nd grade) which is quite different and generally means there are less words and more illustrations per page. I'm mentioning all of this because while it might not matter to some (like if you're not picking up books for your kid(s)) it may have an impact on others.] This is the first book in a series (6 so far) which follows a crew of 'bad' animals: a wolf, snake, shark, and piranha (who is the funniest and fartiest). The wolf decides to round up fellow bad guys to change their image and reform their behavior. He is initially met with skepticism but throughout the book the other members of the club start to come around to his side and become quite enthusiastic about the enterprise. Their first mission is to break 200 dogs out of an animal shelter but from the outset there are large obstacles in their path...mainly how 4 dangerous animals are going to get in the front door of an animal shelter. Cue the shark coming up with a rather camp solution... The appeal of this book rests mainly in its silly humor and quick pacing. Young audiences will surely gobble this up and ask for the next in the series immediately. 7/10 because it didn't totally blow me away but I could see myself reading more for a quick palate cleanser (I may or may not have read the #6 already).

Blabey's website with the total list of books in this series (as well as his Pig the Pug series which is great fun): Aaron Blabey books.

What's Up Next: The Intuitionist by Colson Whitehead

What I'm Currently Reading: Unruly Places: Lost Spaces, Secret Cities, and Other Inscrutable Geographies by Alastair Bonnett & When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi

Source: readingfortheheckofit.blogspot.com