logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: H-G-Wells
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-10-06 01:58
(Audiobook) The War of the Worlds
The War of the Worlds - H.G. Wells,Simon Vance

As I mentioned in my last post, I'd like to thank Halloween Bingo (and OB & MR) for making me read those classic novels that I'd always intended to get to "someday".

This book was fantastic, and Simon Vance's excellent narration made it even better. This is definitely one I'll revisit in the future.

review 2017-09-26 16:19
The Island of Dr. Moreau / H.G. Wells.
The Island of Dr. Moreau - H.G. Wells
  I’ve been cataloguing an enormous collection of H.G. Wells for the special collections division of our library, and as a result I’m thinking I need to read a little more Wells. Just looking at the wide spread of his interests is fascinating! It was an interesting exercise to read this tale, which I read in school at about Grade 5, I think, and see how different the experience was.

Wells was a very dedicated socialist and didn’t have much time for religion (although he went through a phase of flirting with the spiritual). I don’t think there’s any doubt that he had read Darwin’s On the Origin of Species before he wrote this story (it was published in 1859 and Moreau in 1896).

Dr. Moreau has set himself up as God on this little island and he has handed down his commandments to the Beast-Men that he has created. Edward Prendick watches as their essential nature pulls the Beast-Men back to their original state—but he sees the same in people, suggesting the Darwinist view that humans are animals too. Moreau never gives any rationale for what he is doing, rather like the Christian God, who has left his creation to its own devices.

The Island of Dr. Moreau seems rather prophetic today, in our days of bioengineering and genetic modification. I’ll be interested to see what other tidbits await me in Wells’ prolific writings.

review 2017-09-18 16:09
Review: The Time Machine by H.G. Wells (1895)
The Time Machine - H.G. Wells,Félix J. Palma

This may be source material for all the time travel stories that I read or watched. This was also adapted in films multiple times. The one that I watched was The Time Machine (2002). I can now see why, the original material is short. The film has to add more material to flesh out scenes and added characters. While I can see the enthusiasm of the Time Traveler, which was unnamed in the book, almost all characters are unrelatable. The story used first person point of view with which the point of view character not the Time Traveler. Because of this, the Time Traveler narrated his adventures instead and Wells used this to inject his social commentaries. I prefer “show” not “tell”. And I prefer my commentaries subtle, not out-there.

Overall, I still liked this book. Will definitely continue reading classics.

This review is reposted from my blog: https://promdigeek.blog/2017/09/18/review-the-time-machine-by-h-g-wells-1895/

review 2017-09-14 08:49
Beast, monster, man
The Island of Dr. Moreau - H.G. Wells

This went places I did not expect it to go.

For so short pages, I though it'd make a straight story of what we know would be the subject matter, with a tension building, a reveal and a violent resolution. Those elements where there, after a fashion, but not in the order or at the page number a reader would expect. I was surprised, and pleasantly so. For me, it was a truly horrifying read.

It takes a bit to get to the Island, setting up the atmosphere, and the MC's seeming passiveness or detachment, but also raising some interesting questions with the aftermath of that shipwreck. Things come to a head early and the story follows from those into unexpected paths.

Moreau could have made fast friends with Megele. After that lengthy explanation, when I though I had grasped his cold evil, there were still little pockets of surprise horror to make me shudder, like:

He told me they were creatures made of the offspring of the Beast People, that Moreau had invented. He had fancied they might serve for meat,

Gah! Every time I read it I'm swamped with a wave of... Ick!

I kept thinking back to Frankenstein. The moral burden is a lot less debatable here: Moreau is the indisputable monster. Actually, it's a bit like human nature is the monstrous part. Like the bit about the leopard?

It may seem a strange contradiction in me,—I cannot explain the fact,—but now, seeing the creature there in a perfectly animal attitude, with the light gleaming in its eyes and its imperfectly human face distorted with terror, I realised again the fact of its humanity.

And Prendick seems to subconsciously think it so too, given his sequels. I feel for the guy. Seriously, I was melancholy by the end. Talk about connecting.

Hats off to Wells for this one. Even if he need a synonym dictionary, because "presently" appeared more times than the characters' names combined.

review 2017-09-08 19:31
The Island of Dr. Moreau
The Island of Dr. Moreau - H.G. Wells

My second read for the halloween bingo that has wacky science in it and I have to say, I thoroughly enjoy wacky science.

The story of Edward Prendick, who gets shipwrecked and ends up on the island of the mysterious Dr. Moreau, is a gripping and fastpaced and slightly disturbing read. I would put it in the survival horror genre, because poor Edward really has to deal with a lot of situations, where imminent death is looming right around the corner. Besides all the problems the main character has to struggle with, Wells explores the the world of science, how far a scienctist can (and should) go with his obsessions and what kind of responsibility arises from his decisions.

I listened to the audiobook narrated by Gordon Griffin and he brought the desperation of Edward Prendick to life. Classics seem to work extremely well for me on audiobook and this has been no exception.

I´ve read The Island of Dr. Moreau for the "Classic Horror" square and since it´s been first published in 1896, it more than qualifies for this catgory.