logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Harry-Hole
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2020-05-08 16:14
King of scandi noir
Knife: (Harry Hole 12) - Jo Nesbo

Ok let's be honest Harry Hole is a cliche detective, and there are many similarities between him and Ian Rankin's great creation Rebus. They both like working outside the law, they are happy to use unconventional methods to achieve results. Alcohol and cigarettes fuel their ambition, and the odd female liaison allows them a place of sanctuary where their wounded egos can be massaged. Rebus of course is now retired ( well not really) and he is some 17 years Harry’s senior. But we as readers of crime fiction love them, we forgive them their foibles knowing that their astute ability to catch the “baddies” will always make them heroes in our eyes!

Knife is an edge of the seat thriller and it may be some 600+ pages long (paperback) but every reading minute is pure pleasure. Harry’s old criminal rival Svein Finne is once more back on his patch and seeking revenge for the detective who incarcerated him. Young women are being raped and Finne is high on the list of suspects. However one chilling moment at the start, a brilliant piece of writing by Nesbo, changes the direction of the story, and sends Harry once again into deep sorrow and depression ably helped by his always on hand, good friend Jim Beam. To say much more about the plot would spoil the pleasure that awaits you, dear reader. There are many red herrings, and false leads as Nesbo plays with you, giving you a false sense of satisfaction only to slap you in the face when you realize that the person you suspected is nothing more than an innocent bystander.

The writing is taut, using few words but always adding a sense of sadness and drama and possibly a little humour……..

“Harry had been happy. But happiness is like heroin; once you've tasted it, once you’ve found out that happiness exists, you will never be entirely happy with an ordinary life without happiness again”.......

“ For every cigarette you smoke, God takes an hour away from you...and gives it to Keith Richards”....

“Of course. Imagine that you feel like killing someone, but can’t make yourself do it. So you need help. From fate. And if the dice tells you to kill, fate bears the responsibility; it liberates you and your free will. Do you see? All it takes is a throw of the dice”....

“Then it was as if Harry’s smile suddenly shattered, like the morning ice in October, and Bjorn found himself looking into the black depths of desperate pain again. As if Harry had merely wanted to taste happiness. And had spat it out again.”.....

Wonderful storytelling from the true king of Scandi crime noir. Highly, highly recommended.

review 2019-09-20 09:27
Neuer Fall für Harry Hole
Messer: Kriminalroman (Ein Harry-Hole-Kr... Messer: Kriminalroman (Ein Harry-Hole-Krimi, Band 12) - Günther Frauenlob,Jo Nesbo

Harry Hole ist am Ende.
Die Liebe seines Lebens Rakel hat ihn verlassen, der Alkohol ist sein bester Freund und auch seine Karriere bei der Polizei liegt bracht. Als einfacher Ermittler versucht er sich irgendwie über Wasser zu halten und sein Leben weiterzuleben.

Es ist wirklich deprimierend zu sehen wie der Topermittler soweit sinken konnte. Als Harry-Fan hat man es hier wirklich nicht leicht.
Jo Nesbo weiß mit seinem Schreibstil und seinen Worten geschickt umzugehen - wie immer. Düster und Grausig ist dieser Roman. Nesbo macht es einem nicht gerade leicht das Buch zu beenden. Nicht weil die Spannung nicht mehr auszuhalten ist, sondern weil man Harry Hole nicht mehr im Selbstmitleid versinken sehen will. Er überträgt sein persönlichses Leid auf den Leser und das macht es besondern schrecklich zu lesen. Ich tat mich wirklich schwer damit und war erleichtert, als ich das Buch dann endlich geschafft hatte.

show activity (+)
review 2019-09-08 04:03
Harry Hole is in a lot of pain
Knife: (Harry Hole 12) - Jo Nesbo

Harry Hole was in trouble and he lost part of his memory.

Someone close to him was murdered. And he is in a lot of emotional pain. He needs to find the killers.

He drowned out the pain by alcohol.

Now who is there to have caused this pain?

A rapist he caught long ago and is out and rape again. This sick rapist go around raping women and getting them pregnant. He is a anti-abortionist and would kill the woman that seek abortion result of the rape. Sound very Catholic.

Now this sick rapist might want to hurt Harry because one of his son was a murderer and was killed by Harry Hole when resisting arrest.

The mystery is here. The pain is there. A bit dark for my taste but still an enjoyable read.

Read this for New Release square for Halloween Bingo.

review 2018-06-22 22:20
Das Fünfte Zeichen // The Devil's Star!!!
Das fünfte Zeichen - Jo Nesbo

German and english review
First things first: I received this book through NetGalley.

Diesmal nur eine kurze und vor allem spoilerfreie Bewertung.

Ich bin so unheimlich froh, dass ich das Buch jetzt endlich hinter mir habe, dass liegt nicht an dem Buch an sich, sondern an einer besonderen Storyline, wenn ihr die Bücher lest, wisst ihr sicher was ich meine, wenn nicht, dann will ich nichts verraten. Aber es ist endlich überstanden, jetzt hab ich das Gefühl, dass ich irgendwie viel frischer in den Rest der Serie starten kann.

Den Fall fand ich wirklich richtig gut erzählt und auch wirklich spannend bis zum Schluss. Ich hatte zwar einen Verdacht, aber wie immer hab ich den zur Seite geschoben und am Ende war ich dem Ganzen doch näher als gedacht.

Am besten hat mich die Auflösung von der ein oder anderen Storyline gefallen, die in vorherigen Büchern schon angefangen wurde. Ihr wisst was ich meine. Ich dachte erst wir würden nicht sehr viel von Rakel und Oleg sehen, aber war froh, wie sich das im Laufe des Buches entwickelt hat. Es ist nicht wirklich ein Spoiler aber trotzdem VORSICHT: Der Moment in dem Oleg zu Harry Papa gesagt hat, hat bei mir für alle möglichen Gefühle gesorgt und obwohl die Situation angespannt war, hat es mich grinsen lassen wie ein totaler Idiot.

***

This time around it's just going to be a short and spoiler free review.

I'm just so very happy that I am finally done with this book, it's not about the book itself but one of the storylines. If you read the book, you know what I mean. If you haven't read it, I won't spoil anything. But I did it. It's finally done. Now I have the feeling that I can somehow start fresh and new into the rest of the series.

The case itself was really damn well told and kept me guessing until the very end. I can't say I never had a feeling but I always push it aside and at the end of it all, I always come pretty close.

What I loved the most, was that storylines from the books before were being wrapped up. You know what I mean. After the beginning, I didn't expect to see anything from Rakel and Oleg but I was so so SO happy how things developed throughout the book. It's not really that much of a spoiler but well, SPOILER, the moment when Oleg calls Harry dad, made me feel all the feels and even though the situation was super tense, I kept smiling like a total idiot.

<!-- Used for easily cloning the properly namespaced rect -->
review 2018-01-31 15:57
Die Fährte // Nemesis!!!
Die Fährte: Harry Holes vierter Fall - Jo Nesbo

German and english review
First things first: I received this book through NetGalley.

Inhalt: Der Osloer Kriminalbeamte Harry Hole jagt einen Bankräuber, der während eines Überfalls scheinbar grundlos eine junge Angestellte erschoss. Da wird er selbst in einen Mordfall verwickelt: seine ehemalige Geliebte wird tot aufgefunden, und Harry ist der Letzte, der sie leben sah. Er gerät nun selbst unter Mordverdacht und muss untertauchen, um auf eigenen Faust weiterermitteln zu können. Eine heiße Fährte führt in bis nach Südamerika.

Ich fand es ein bisschen schwieriger als sonst, in das Buch reinzufinden, vorallem weil ich es gleich nach dem letzten Buch angefangen hatte und einfach noch so wütend wegen Ellen war und einfach nicht darüber hinwegkommen wollte, was im Band davor passiert ist. Vor allem war ich jedes Mal wütend wenn Tom Waaler in dem Buch aufgetaucht ist, alles was er im Band vorher gemacht hat und alels was er in diesem Fall getan hat, ich war einfach zu wütend.

Dann die Tatsache, dass wir zwei Fälle hatten. Den Bankraub und Anna.
Ich war stellenweise dann wirklich total verwirrt, welcher Zeuge wegen welchem Fall befragt wurde. Es war mir manchmal einfach ein bisschen zu viel los. Allerdings waren beide Fälle wirklich spannend gemacht und hatten auch genug Wendungen, so dass ich absolut nicht wusste, was gerade was ist und wer was angestellt haben könnte. Es war bis zum Ende einfach sehr spannend.

Und dann mein absolutes Highlight, Beate. Und sie lebt noch. Sie hat das Buch überlebt. Was nicht so selbstverständlich ist, wenn man an andere weibliche Charaktere in den Büchern vorher denkt. Beate!!! ich hoffe, dass wir sie auch noch in weiteren Büchern sehen werden, denn sie ist mir ehrlich ans Herz gewachsen.

***

Summary: How do you catch a killer when you're the number one suspect? A man is caught on CCTV, shooting dead a cashier at a bank. Detective Harry Hole begins his investigation, but after dinner with an old flame wakes up with no memory of the past 12 hours. Then the girl is found dead in mysterious circumstances and he begins to receive threatening emails: is someone trying to frame him for her death? As Harry fights to clear his name, the bank robberies continue with unparalleled savagery...

I had a bit of trouble getting really into the book, mostly because I started it right after I finished the book before and I was still so angry about Ellen and I couldn't and didn't wanna get over what happened to her. Everytime I read Tom Waaler's name in the book, I got angry all over again, angry about what he had done in the book before and everything he did in this book.

Then we had two cases. The bank case and Anna.
To be completely honest, I got super confused sometimes and couldn't remember which witness got questioned for what case. Sometimes it just got a bit too much. BUT, both cases where super well done and had enough twists and turns, that I could never figure out what really happened and who did what. It was suspenseful until the end.

And then, my absolute highlight, Beate. And she is still alive. She survived the book. That is not a sure thing, when I think about all the female characters before her. Beate!!! I really hope we get to see her in the other books two, cause I love her and I want her around.