logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Heartless
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-10-20 05:28
Heartless - Marissa Meyer

Wow. So this starts out adorable, and keeps it up for most of its runtime. It puts a more whimsical and romantic twist on the Wonderland canon than most current retellings, and then twists the heck out of it for the finale. Can't say a lot about that without spoilers, other than you're afraid it's coming, it's handled well, and I still wasn't happy about it. Also stands out for excellence in food writing. Seriously, I haven't drooled as much since the Redwall feasts. Excellent deep and consistent worldbuilding.

review 2017-04-12 02:45
Heartless - Marissa Meyer

I didn't give this 5 stars because the first half of the story is a little slow and I didn't really connect with the characters at first. But after that it's all the magic and adventure Marissa Meyer has us accustomed to. To be honest, I dreaded getting to the end because we all know how the original story starts. But even though I knew I was going to suffer (and I did!), the writting is great and I'm glad I picked this one up. Four stars!

review 2017-03-04 02:12
Heartless
Heartless - Marissa Meyer

I am having major book hangover. Omg. I haven't loved a book this much so much in forever. I may not ever be the same. I cried. Like....bad.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-02-24 00:00
Heartless

2 1/2 stars

This book started off beautifully. I loved the food, and the characters, and the strangeness of the world. It went downhill from the time of the mockturtle. I found that I couldn't understand how Cath, sweet, irritating and indecisive as she was, could turn so far as to become the nasty Queen of Hearts. Not without the man she loved--Jest--betraying her, which he did not. While at the end she certainly did act like the Queen of Hearts, there was far too much of a gap between the two personalities, without seeing her character growth (shrinking) into that role. I still am a fan of Marissa Meyer, but this wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be.

review 2017-01-24 12:30
Heartless by Marissa Meyer

syns

Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland and a favorite of the unmarried King, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, she wants to open a shop and create delectable pastries. But for her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for a woman who could be a queen.

At a royal ball where Cath is expected to receive the King’s marriage proposal, she meets handsome and mysterious Jest. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the King and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into a secret courtship.

Cath is determined to choose her own destiny. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.

my though

I heard so many good things about this book and I saw I all over the place that I just had to check it out. I was super happy when I received it for Christmas. Now having read it I see what all the hype was about. Even not being the biggest “Wonderland” fan I loved this book. While it is in Wonderland , it also has its own little twist on it, but we see a lot of familiar faces. The Mad Hatter, Cheshire Cat, Card Soldiers, Mock Turtle and more. First of I like to say how amazing the world building it was, it just took you right in and I think I even gained a few pounds just reading about all the awesome treats. That Cath was making.it was colorful and vibrant and most enjoyable. The same goes for the characters, they were just so well explained that you could not help but to be right there with them. Now to Catherine. We all know the mean and evil queen of heart. We never know why or how she became so mean and bitter. This book is her story, her life and her dreams she had. I wasn’t sure about her in the beginning then I loved her, then I cried for her and then of course she will be who we know she is. This book is all about her journey to evildom, and it is beautiful and yet so heartbreaking. I couldn’t help feeling for her even knowing what will happen. Marissa Meyer done an awesome job to turn such a hated character into her own and give her such a wonderful epic journey along the way. I really Jest, he was funny, brave and romantic. I also really liked her maid Mary Ann and he friendship they had. Overall great book and I’m super glad I read it even not being the biggest Wonderland fan and having my heart ripped out at the end of the book.

I rate it 4 ★

Some of my favorite quotes:

“Sometimes your heart is the only thing worth listening to.”

***

“Now mine eyes see the heart that once we did search for, and I fear this heart shall be mended, nevermore.”

***

“One to be a murderer. One to be a Martyr. One to be a Monarch. One to go Mad”

***

“Fascinating, isn't it, how often heroic and foolish turn out to be one and the same.”

goodreads-badge-add-plus-

Available NOW

amazonBig bnbuy KoboButton

Abouttheauth

I live in Tacoma, Washington, with my husband and beautiful twin daughters. Represented by Jill Grinberg. Learn more about me and my upcoming books at http://www.marissameyer.com.

Links