logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Heartless
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-12-30 21:46
Love Is Heartless (Love Can't #2)
Love Is Heartless - Kim Fielding

This book is kind of sort of a prequel to the first in the series, since it starts long before Love Can't Conquer, but it's about Jeffrey's friend Nevin Ng and his boyfriend Colin, who Nevin mentioned a couple of times in the first book but who we never met. Now we see how they met and slowly fell in love.

Oh, so slowly. Nevin's a complex character with many walls built around him after a lifetime spent in foster care and for once, we're given a story that gives a more realistic portrayal of how such a character might fall in love. And it's not over a couple of nights. While Nevin becomes interested in Colin fairly quickly, it takes much longer for trust and love to develop. It also takes a lot of patience on Colin's part.

Colin didn't have the lonely life that Nevin did growing up, but he did have to grow up with health issues and the uncertainty of life that can bring. He's always had to be careful, and never had much excitement. So when he meets Nevin, he sees this as his chance to have a wild fling, and hopefully maybe something more if he can keep Nevin from bolting.

I'm not sure why, since I really liked Colin and Nevin, but I never really got them as a couple. It's no fault of the book, but they just never quite clicked for me and I can't even point to any one particular thing to explain why their chemistry was off. Maybe it was simply a matter of I'd rather be reading about Jeremy and Qay again. It might be better actually to read this one first, though it would spoil the ending of the first book so I'm not sure I can actually recommend that either. Maybe start this one until they start talking about Thanksgiving dinner, and then go back and read the first one to the end, then come back and finish this one?

There's also another quasi-mystery here that doesn't get a lot of focus despite Nevin being a detective - hence why I didn't use the mystery tag - but is sort of bubbling in the background until the very end.

review 2017-10-20 05:28
Heartless - Marissa Meyer

Wow. So this starts out adorable, and keeps it up for most of its runtime. It puts a more whimsical and romantic twist on the Wonderland canon than most current retellings, and then twists the heck out of it for the finale. Can't say a lot about that without spoilers, other than you're afraid it's coming, it's handled well, and I still wasn't happy about it. Also stands out for excellence in food writing. Seriously, I haven't drooled as much since the Redwall feasts. Excellent deep and consistent worldbuilding.

review 2017-04-12 02:45
Heartless - Marissa Meyer

I didn't give this 5 stars because the first half of the story is a little slow and I didn't really connect with the characters at first. But after that it's all the magic and adventure Marissa Meyer has us accustomed to. To be honest, I dreaded getting to the end because we all know how the original story starts. But even though I knew I was going to suffer (and I did!), the writting is great and I'm glad I picked this one up. Four stars!

review 2017-03-04 02:12
Heartless
Heartless - Marissa Meyer

I am having major book hangover. Omg. I haven't loved a book this much so much in forever. I may not ever be the same. I cried. Like....bad.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-02-24 00:00
Heartless

2 1/2 stars

This book started off beautifully. I loved the food, and the characters, and the strangeness of the world. It went downhill from the time of the mockturtle. I found that I couldn't understand how Cath, sweet, irritating and indecisive as she was, could turn so far as to become the nasty Queen of Hearts. Not without the man she loved--Jest--betraying her, which he did not. While at the end she certainly did act like the Queen of Hearts, there was far too much of a gap between the two personalities, without seeing her character growth (shrinking) into that role. I still am a fan of Marissa Meyer, but this wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be.