logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Historical-fiction
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-05-22 17:51
Buried Truths
Buried Truths - Nicky James

I did like the first one more but I still loved these characters and loved getting more of Alistair and Brandon.  Very interested to see how the 3rd book plays out.

review 2018-05-22 16:00
The Case of the Missing Cross (Justice and Miss Quinn #1) by Felicia Rogers
The Case of the Missing Cross - Felicia Rogers

A great mystery and romance set in Regency Bath. I love the work partnership of Justin and Magnolia and the budding romance between the two is the right amount of angst for me. I still feel burnt out on Regency romances, but this one was different and I want to continue reading the series. The main mystery is solved, but there is a bigger conspiracy going on, which leads into book two.

review 2018-05-22 06:06
Book Tour: The Accidental Guardian
The Accidental Guardian - Mary Connealy

Are you a person would would like to see what an wagon trail is like. Learn about it some what. Well you get glimpses of it though the accidental guardian. You can see what it like to be a survivor of a wagon train.

We find out about Tracy Riley and some of his past. He has to protect not only woman but also two children. They are survivors of the wagon train. We seem to be following more of Deb's story rather then her little sister Gwen and the children. Though maybe in the second book we learn more about the children and Gwen story.

Deb is adventurous and Trace and seem interested in Tracy from  the beginning. Trace put Deb in his bed that first night. Is there romance between them or not?

Source: nrcbooks.blogspot.com/2018/05/book-tour-accidental-guardian.html
review 2018-05-21 12:54
Trouble in Glamour Town
Trouble in Glamour Town - S.R. Mallery

Rosie Paige is an actress in 1926.  She has been pushed into the rush of 1920's Hollywood by her mother, Beatrice who believes that making Rosie a starlet will solve all of her own problems.  Rosie would much rather spend time with her pets and her boyfriend, Eddie who helps out on set.  When the Chester Harris is suddenly shot and killed on the set of a movie Rosie is in, Eddie is considered a prime suspect.  However, with several similar shootings in the past, the police department needs to solve the case quickly and is willing to blame just about anyone in order to call the crime solved exposing the corruption, greed and political influences of the time.

Trouble in Glamour Town is a fast-paced historical mystery set within the mystique of 1920's Hollywood.  This book caught my attention right from the start with an intense look at the murder from the killer's point of view.  After that moment, we still have no idea who committed the crime and the mystery builds.  From that point, Rosie took center stage.  She is a strong character from the start making herself stand apart from the other Hollywood starlets that she is surrounded by.  Despite Rosie's strength of character, she struggles to find her independence due to her dedication to her mother.  Beatrice is the ultimate stage-mother taking a job as a seamstress to be close to Rosie as well as get all the inside gossip.  Beatrice also uses the guilt of Rosie's father leaving them to oversee the comings and goings of Rosie's life along with their superintendent, Walt.  Along with the murder mystery and the suspense of having Eddie as a suspect, this was also a coming of age story for Rosie.  The shooting acted as a jumping point for Rosie to think about getting out of the corruption of Hollywood; she begins to think about her own dreams rather than her mother's and push back.  The mystery itself grows gradually until the end. Along with adding suspense, the killing exposes many nuances of the time period including prohibition, sexuality, and crime.  With an exciting and unexpected conclusion, Trouble in Glamour Town provides a fun and fast historical mystery.

This book was received for free in return for an honest review.

review 2018-05-21 09:07
Son of zeus - Glyn Iliffe

Heracles(Hercules)is the son of Almecedes and Zeus (who slept with her while pretending to be her husband Amphitryon). As a birthday present Zeus gives his son immeasurable physical strenght(he lets Hera nurse him without her knowledge so he acquired this supernatural power of the goddess herself). Well,Zeus's good lady wife,the goddess Hera,is not  best pleased with this dalliance and even less with the outcome. So Hera, who's middle name is revenge,works out a plan to get rid of this abomination. Meanwhile,Heracles has sowed some of his wild oats and is settled with his loving wife Megara and and their 3 children in Thebes when disaster strikes,in a fit of madness, he kills his 3 sons. After wandering for a while he asks the oracle of Delphi for advice. She tells him in no uncertain terms that if he wants to find out the truth about that night of madness and wants to find some redemption, he has to perform certain labours. For this reason he becomes a slave to his cousin who is king of Tiryns(also thanks to the lovely Hera ). Of course Hera does not want Heracles to find out the truth nor find any atonement so she has her hand in the choice of these famous labours.
This is historical fiction based on Greek mythology but it reads as a fantasy story(the lion of Nemea,a white hind with golden antlers and a seven headed snake)albeit with a sad and bitter undertone. One can not help but feel sorry for this giant who's life is manipulated by the whims of the gods. This is the first part of the trilogy (3 labours done,9 more to go)but it is not the classic retelling of the myth,Heracles and the other characters are so much more than individual parts of this myth. Yes,I think I will probably follow Heracles his further adventures...