logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Historical
Load new posts () and activity
review 2021-03-04 22:19
Anne of the Island by L.M. Montgomery
Anne of the Island and Tales of Avonlea - L.M. Montgomery
Each Anne Shirley story is better than the last! You see growth, you root for her with her schooling, and you so want her to decide on Gilbert!
This story always makes me smile, and this is probably the tenth time I've read it. Anne really finds herself in this book. All of her friends are settling down, and in that time it was naturally expected at a certain age. She was of that age and eyes were on her to find someone.
The ending is my favorite part. I am a sucker for sappy love!
Since I have not read further on in the series, I look forward to reading the next book sometime soon!

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2021/03/anne-of-island-by-lm-montgomery-9.html
review 2021-02-25 02:45
A DUKE, THE LADY, AND A BABY by Vanessa Riley
A Duke, the Lady, and a Baby - Vanessa Riley

Patience wants her baby back. Lord Repington is now his guardian. She disguises herself as a nanny to be near her son. Repington will do whatever he needs to keep the baby safe and the nanny as well.

I loved this book. I loved Patience and Repington. I like how they try to deny their attraction especially as the truth comes out about what has happened to Patience's husband. They make a good couple. I enjoyed the story. This is a good set up for the series as it explains why these women fight to get what is theirs.

I also appreciated the short synopsis' at the end about the historical aspects of this novel. It helped me to understand how those of mixed races/blood/heritage were treated and the double standard applied to them. I also was glad about the short notes on some of the Peninsular War's battles and the effect of them on the time period's complications.

show activity (+)
review 2021-01-23 20:47
Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness
Shadow of Night - Deborah Harkness
Season two of the tv show started and I knew I had to read Shadow of Night before watching it.
This book is better than the first. The first now feels more like an introduction to me. This one was exciting from beginning to end, and it literally picks up where the first story leaves off.
We learn so much more about Diana. We see what a beautiful relationship her and Matthew have, and how tightly woven their bond really is. You also get a glimpse of things you didn't see coming.
I have to admit, I wonder if the conclusion can keep the momentum going? Oh, I am excited to learn!
I'm not much of a historical fan but this is one series that I can't get enough of!

Source: www.fredasvoice.com/2021/01/shadow-of-night-by-deborah-harkness-3.html
review 2021-01-06 03:14
HAUNTED HEARTS by Teresa Desjardien
Haunted Hearts (A Zebra Holiday Regency Romance) - Teresa DesJardien

Olivia is finally coming out of mourning and decides she wants to experience everything. Her first outing is a Masquerade where she meets Ian Drake, a spy thinking she is who is to contact him. He soon realizes his error. When they meet later she knows who he is but he has no idea who she is. He figures she is just a snooty aristocrat. When he later learns who she is he is unsure what to do as he still needs to help a French spy who helped the English escape from England.

I liked these characters. Olivia is a total innocent who gets herself involved in things she has no idea exist. Ian does his best to protect her. Because of Olivia's innocence many people are drawn to her. That is fortunate as it helps her at the end. The secondary characters were interesting and eclectic. The story was fun. This is a good read for a lazy afternoon.

show activity (+)
review 2021-01-06 00:45
A Pretty Deceit (Verity Kent, #4)
A Pretty Deceit - Anna Lee Huber

Aside from my subjective issues with the path Huber chose for these characters, I like this series; you could say I enjoy them in spite of myself.  But while this book was a 4 star read on the strength of its plot, it might have been a 4.5/5 star read if not for the weakness of the editing.

The narrative is much longer than it needed to be because Huber, with admirable motivation, spends a lot of time ruminating on the devastation wrought on both the soldiers who fought in WWI, and those left behind to cope in fear and anxiety.  She does bring light to many aspects of the horror that is war, especially the first world war, but she spends too much time doing it, and this is a murder mystery, after all.  I'm confident a lot of it could have been cut without losing the more important message, and the overall story would have been a lot better for it.

Still, the plot is a strong one, with aspects of scavenger and treasure hunting spicing up what would otherwise be an ordinary nemesis plot running parallel to a murder mystery.  I'm still kid enough to enjoy rhyming clues and secret codes, as well as the touch of cloak and dagger when used judiciously, and it is here.

As I opened the post with, I still don't like what Huber is doing with the characters; while there are no love triangles or quadrangles, she has two other men in love with Verity who are dedicated to uncovering the series' plot; there seems to be no plan for this to change and it's tiresome.  Luckily, the murder mysteries have so far made up for it.  Can't see that lasting much longer though.