logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Horror
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-03-20 18:30
THE SILKWORM by Robert Galbraith, narrated by Robert Glenister
The Silkworm (Audio) - Robert Galbraith

THE SILKWORM was one of those rare times where the second book is better than the first!

Robin and Strike set out to solve the mystery of a missing author. Their relationship is getting closer and Robin is going to get some additional training towards being a detective, which is what she wanted.

Strike's ex-girlfriend Charlotte is even more of a bitch now than she was in the first book and I didn't think that was possible.

Lastly, the narrator-Robert Glenister is simply outstanding. He will forever be the voice of Cormoran Strike for me. I look forward to the next book in the series.

Recommended!

(Thanks to Ctgt and Melissa for their recommendations of this series.)

*I downloaded this audiobook FREE from my public library. Libraries RULE!*

review 2019-03-20 14:00
Review: The Hunger
The Hunger - Alma Katsu

I received a copy from Netgalley.

I’ve been morbidly curious about The Donner party ever since I read Stephen King’s The Shining where The Donners are referenced. I looked it up – it was a true story, a disturbing one, but a true one. So I was really looking forward to this book as soon as I heard about it.

I was really excited when I got my review request approved, and when I started reading, I liked it so much I bought a finished copy after a few chapters and read that. This one took a while to get used to the style of the writing. There were an awful lot of characters to keep track off, some got more detailed back stories than others. It was hard to keep track of who everyone was.

But the more I read the more fascinated I became with it. There’s a real sense of history and how hard it was for the people making the trek to California. The hardships they went through. The relationships between the people is well written. It’s brutal as well – not everyone is going to get along, obviously, so many people have so many different thoughts, feelings, opinion, violence will breed, love, lust, obsession, hatred…

Thea

The author does a brilliant job of capturing a storm of emotions. As well as putting a spooky twist on the story.

It did drag a bit in the middle, but as conditions slowly started getting worse and seeds of mistrust and doubt deepened amongst the people, the story picked up again and was unputdownable towards the end, and quite frightening as the winter hit really bad.

A hard book to read in parts, but so, so worth it. I loved it. And would definitely read it again.

Thank you to Netgalley and Random House UK, Transworld Publishers.

review 2019-03-18 16:57
Review: "The Crucifix Killer" (Robert Hunter, #1) by Chris Carter
The Crucifix Killer - Chris Carter

~ 3.5 stars ~

review 2019-03-18 03:05
Fear by Ronald Kelly
Fear - Ronald Kelly

For 10 year old Jeb Sweeney, life in the backwoods town of Pikesville, Tennessee in 1946 is bittersweet.
Growing up without a mom, a father left "simple minded" by shell shock, and a sick grandmother...becoming an adult too early can be a trial.
But he has his friends, his first love.....

And then, he doesn't.

Something horrific has descended upon Jeb's life....a legendary creature from the dark place they call Fear County....it's come to feed, and it has taken his girl, his friends and his dog.

Jeb is about to journey down a dark path....to a place angels fear to tread...to find the witch woman who holds the secret to stopping the terror ripping through his world. Accompanied by his father and a legendary bluesman, Jeb is heading into the heart of a nightmare....welcome to Fear County.

A pitch perfect coming of age/small town horror novel, Kelly's writing brings the people, the time and the place alive with a style of Southern storytelling only he can do. And offer up a monster, and a place, that will rent space in your nightmares for a long time coming.

Highly recommended, FEAR has earned a place on my shelves alongside BOY'S LIFE, SUMMER OF NIGHT, and MIDNIGHT RAIN.

Go get some FEAR for yourself....and grab everything else Ron Kelly has ever written. You'll thank me sooner than later...

review 2019-03-17 12:09
DNF
The Night Land - William Hope Hodgson

Nope.  Even if we ever get to the scary part I probably wouldn't notice.  I swear he was paid by the word.

How many different ways did he think he repeatedly needed to say/describe/explain the same thing over and over and over.  Pages apparently.

YES!  We know you love her.

YES!  We get it! You're strong and vain over it.

YES!  We get that your are seeing the dream from 2 different perspectives at the same time. Current and future even though in the future you are younger.  At least that's how it appears.

Your readers aren't as stupid as you seem to think they are.

Next!