logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Horror
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-12-10 18:45
THE SEA DREAMS IT IS THE SKY by John Hornor Jacobs
The Sea Dreams It Is the Sky: A Novella of Cosmic Horror - John Hornor Jacobs

"Misery is a condition that we are all promised."

THE SEA DREAMS IT IS THE SKY is a beautifully written novella with rich, layered characters and an unfamiliar landscape.

Two ex-pats develop a friendship between them. Isabel, an educator and Avendano, a poet, have both escaped a political coup in their home country of (the fictional) Magera. As their friendship deepens, Isabel learns more about Avendano's reputation and his past. When he asks her to watch his apartment so that he may return to Magera, she does so willingly. While so doing, she reads a few of the manuscripts he left behind. It's in these manuscripts that the true horror lies. Will Avendano ever return home? If he does will he find Isabel there waiting for him? You'll have to read this novella to find out!

I loved this book and that's mostly because the characters of Avendano and Isabel are so deep and well drawn. I did not expect to develop such complicated feelings for characters in "A Novella of Cosmic Horror." But develop them I did-especially for Avendano. I disliked him quite a bit when the story began, but I empathized with what he went through later, (or actually, before), and my feelings for him changed dramatically.

Whenever I see or hear the term "cosmic horror" lately, I find myself thinking of tentacles. But cosmic horror runs much deeper than that, and in this book it plays a small but certainly disturbing part of the narrative. When the miasma becomes so thick you can almost cut through it, watch out. There are things in that stinking fog, things existing just beyond the limits our visibility, but all too alive just the same.

The real horrors here are executed by humans and they make tentacles and Cthulhu look downright silly. It's easy to overlook coups in other countries, easy to overlook the human rights violations and the often abominable acts. We don't seem them on our daily news, so to us they seem foreign and distant. But for the people living under military rule or the rule of dictators or religious leaders? They see these horrors every day and sadly, they are now just part of life. When anyone dares to look more closely, like Avendano for instance, who knows what horrors will befall them as a result? They may take the form of torture, they may take the form of torturing those you love, they can even make you torture yourself, and that's the worst torture of all.

"The pain becomes an offering and sacrifice becomes a beacon."

A beacon to what? That is the question.

I've tried hard to impart to you the gravity as well as the beauty hidden behind that oh so lovely cover. I've tried to do it without spoiling anything, but I'm not sure I've succeeded. The writing is sublime and I got lost a few times, just ruminating on the beauty of the language. That doesn't happen often these days, but it happened several times within the pages of this beautiful, scary, depressing, lovely novella and for that reason I highly recommend this book.

Get your copy here: THE SEA DREAMS IT IS THE SKY

*I received a Kindle copy of this book in exchange for my honest feedback. This is it.*

review 2018-12-09 01:54
AMONG MONSTERS by JAMIE McGUIRE
Among Monsters - Jamie McGuire

Really good book. I wish it were longer. I'm hoping the author is going to be writing more of this series.

review 2018-12-09 01:50
FEED by MIRA GRANT
Feed - Mira Grant

Re-read by audiobook

I previously read the paperback book in January of 2012. This time I listened to the audiobook.

This book felt completely different than when I read the paperback. I ended up really enjoying it which is great considering I gave it 2 stars. I liked it so much the second time around I already ordered the next book from the library - so there!

Previous review: This book kind of dragged for me and I found I had a hard time finishing it. Georgia "George" Mason and her brother Shaun are professional bloggers which has turned into a legitimate job after a virus has made every person and large animal who dies into a zombie. When the normal news media told everyone it was a hoax, the bloggers gave real information and warnings. George writes news stories and Shaun does shock type blogs filming himself teasing and killing the zombies and their friend Buffy is the technician and also a poet with her own blog. Their group is chosen to be part of the press for a presidential campaign which has given them legitimacy. The only problem is someone is sabotaging the campaign and people are dying and thus becoming zombies. There's a betrayal in this that I still don't understand the reason behind. It didn't make sense to me. So instead of being shocked I was thinking "What?" Also a very sad event takes place and being a natural crier, I was surprised I wasn't really moved. The book drags in places, but when I noted the amount of pages it really didn't drag long however I just couldn't get into to it. The concept was good, but it didn't really deliver for me. I'm in the minority though so my review should be taken with a grain of salt.
review 2018-12-08 01:53
The South American setting is just one of the elements that make this so unique...
Not Even Bones (Market of Monsters) - Rebecca Schaeffer

๏ ๏ ๏  Book Blurb ๏ ๏ ๏

Dexter meets This Savage Song in this dark fantasy about a girl who sells magical body parts on the black market — until she’s betrayed.
Nita doesn’t murder supernatural beings and sell their body parts on the internet—her mother does that. Nita just dissects the bodies after they’ve been “acquired.” Then her mom brings home a living specimen, and Nita decides she wants out. But there’s a problem: Nita herself is a supernatural being and a prime target for the black market if anyone ever found out. When Nita decides to help her mother's latest victim escape, she ends up taking his place instead. Nita did a good deed, and it cost her everything. Now she needs to escape and make sure no one can ever sell her again. And to do that, there’s no line Nita won’t cross.

๏ ๏ ๏  My Review ๏ ๏ ๏

Not Even Bones is unlike any other paranormal book.  Nita is unlike any other heroine I've ever read, too.  It's kind of in a league of its own.  Some would classify this as YA, but I'm not one of them.

Sometimes paranormal or supernatural will read sort of like fantasy...but not this, it feels like a more realistic world where supernatural beings just exist, anywhere from a Unicorn to a Dolphin Girl.  It's super wild and freaky strange.  Then there this seedy underbelly where some will sell body parts of the supernatural beings...all I can say is this is one hell of a freaky AF ride.  Oh yeah, I almost forgot...this has a cliffhanger that will have you thinking...seriously, WTF!

๏ ๏ ๏  MY RATING ๏ ๏ ๏

Theme or Tone⇝ 4/5
Flow (Writing Style)⇝ 3.8/5
Backdrop (World Building)⇝ 4/5
Originality⇝ 5/5
Ending⇝ 4.2/5 Cliffhanger⇝ Yes!
๏ ๏ ๏
Book Cover⇝ I like it.
Series⇝ Market of Monsters #1
Setting⇝ South America
Source⇝ Kindle eBook (Library)
๏ ๏ ๏
Goodreads
Amazon
Booklikes

review 2018-12-06 23:49
A Head Full of Ghosts
A Head Full of Ghosts: A Novel - Paul Tremblay

I liked this, but I didn't love it, and over a month later I'm still not sure I can pinpoint why. But I'm going to try. This book definitely gets its creep on - there are a couple scenes that will stick with me for a good long while. The scene is set masterfully, and I'm absolutely transported to this household as it falls apart. It has mood and atmosphere galore, and I think the characters are well drawn.

I think the hurdle for me was that I've never been nearly as invested in psychological horror as I am the supernatural variety. Mental illness and the like don't freak me out, they make me sad. It's hard to be scared when you're reflecting on how devastating it is to care about someone who has crippling mental issues. I'm fully willing to acknowledge that's probably not going to be the case for most people. Nonetheless it was something I took to the table and it absolutely impacted my interactions with this story. If psychological horror, religious fervor, demonic exorcisms, madness, and family drama are things that interest you absolutely give this one a shot - it will likely scare the hell out of you. If, however, you're like me and those things hit a bit of a sour note you might want to skip this one. Your milage will likely vary.