logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Horses
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-11-05 01:56
The King of the Castle - Victoria Holt
The King of the Castle - Victoria Holt

This is what I was expecting The Black Pearl to be more like: a young orphaned penniless English woman accepts a job doing [art restoration] at a castle with a dark and dangerous lord of the manor and a changeable and undisciplined child. There are horseback rides and formal dinners and quaint local customs and a difficult man intrigued by a staunch and somewhat contrary, not especially pretty woman, who is never flirtatious or coy and isn't at all shy about telling him when he's doing things wrong. There is danger, and careful nursing at home, a valuable inheritance, and at least a couple of other single men who might be attracted as well, but are much more charming.

I loved it for so perfectly being what I expected. But boy, did I find the presumption of inherent class to be repugnant. There are actual peasants. It isn't clear exactly when this is set sometime after trains but before rural electrification or antibiotics. Surprisingly few deaths in childbirth, but lots of orphans.

Fun stuff. Especially the horrible sexism that's all about carving out a place for one exceptional woman. Gah. I'm ready to fight on the barricades and eat the rich. Interestingly there's a strong parallel between the story of the brave noble ancestor hiding out from the mob with a kind servant and the stories Southerners like to tell about the aristocratic ancestor's brave struggles during and after the civil war.

Used for Relics and Curiosities in honor of the secret messages that reveal clues to the long-lost emeralds. I guess valuable jewels aren't as crass as regular money.

Library copy

review 2019-10-27 17:33
Up and down the Scratchy Mountains - Laurel Snyder, Greg Call
Up and down the Scratchy Mountains - Laurel Snyder,Greg Call

Fairy tales must be hard to write: so few people ever manage to produce a good one. There are many retellings, of course, particularly popular in YA, but few new ones. Snyder does an excellent job of getting the tone right: close enough to respect the conventions, but with enough of modern sensibility to avoid sounding fake. So sure, there's some magical transportation to keep things moving, but a realistic evaluation of the boredom and discomfort of travel.

There's some mystery, some menace, inflexible tradition, and motherless kids setting off for adventure. There is some silliness, but the children are taken seriously for their concerns and needs and desires.

Charming and a little corny, but never smarmy. Not too scary for preschoolers, but better for the 5 and ups.

The art is charming, but not accurate to the text, so it doesn't enhance the experience. I don't expect video adaptations to be exactly like the source material, but I do feel like the illustrations shouldn't be at odds with text in a picture book. Nothing huge, it's just clear that the artist wasn't working from the final text.

Library copy

review 2019-06-19 14:27
First Native American Poet Laurate (for the US)
She Had Some Horses - Joy Harjo

Joy Harjo just got named Poet Laurate for the US.  (The US version serves for a year and is appointed by the Librarian of Congress).

If you haven't checked out her poetry or her music, do so!

review 2019-03-18 20:44
Book Review for Knocking Boots (Lucas Brothers Book 5) by Jordan Marie
Knocking Boots (Lucas Brothers #5) - Jordan Marie

Knocking Boots (Lucas Brothers Book 5)

by Jordan Marie

• Amazon purchase link - https://amzn.to/2TtV6ji
  • Reviewed by Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
  • 5 stars from Us
  • arc copy provided for honest review
This cowboy will stop at nothing to lasso his bride.
Too bad she won’t cooperate.

I don't know who Jansen Reed thinks he is, but I'm pretty sure he's the reason God gave me the middle finger.

He’s frustrating and likes to play on my last nerve.
He's also drop-dead gorgeous and my walking fantasy.
Which means he's bad news.

As a single mother, I don’t have time for his nonsense.
Except when he tips his hat and gives me an easy smile, with those twinkling dark eyes,
I forget that I’ve given up on men.

He promises me forever, and tries to prove that he’s one cowboy that won’t ride away in the sunset.

Something about him makes me want to believe in fairy tales again.
But, girls like me don’t get happy endings and we sure don't fall in love.
Do we?

Welcome back to the world of the Lucas Brothers. This is a complete standalone romance. So, if you're new to the series, this is a great place to start! Plus, there's a guaranteed Happy Ever After inside.

Let's of by saying Jordan Marie is one of my favorite author's to read and I love every time she puts out another book as we loved all her MC Romance Series they were simply the best and this current read was and awesome read for us and we loved it.We really enjoyed it as it was one of the funniest books I have read to date.

From the first moment we first meet this couple we new they were going to take us on one heck of a ride and they did just that.We really enjoyed the story from cover to cover as it was filled with wonderful character's and the author made it easy to love them but, also fall in love with them especially that Hellion Tribe of Ida's' . Omg! did they make us laugh out loud with all their antic's and all those family get together conversations where they were always plotting but, you could not help but feel the love that this family had among them and that they wanted only for their mom to be happy and that was their main goal in life was to see to her happiness.

Ida Sue-We found to be sweet,kind,loving, feisty,had a backbone, was independent, spoke her mind ,had a sense of humor and was a wonderful mother to her 9 children but, she also carries around demons from her past that make her a  little lost and broken.

Janesen- Omg ! We fell for him from the moment he refused to due business with a man spouting off at the mouth about a women he didn't even know.We found him to be a savior,loving,kind,protective,a dad figure that was a gentle soul but, he was also a drifter who was chasing something is whole life without ever really knowing what he was chasing until her met Ida Sue and her family.

Ida-s children were just hilarious and they gave us tons of laughs and we loved each and every one of them what a hoot!We loved the electric names choices and their names were fitting for some of them.

Overall the story was one of those books that just makes you feel good and we loved,laughed,cried and fell in love with all these wonderful character's that put a permanent smile on my face to the very end. For us the ending was perfect and fitting for this couple. lol

The thing we loved most about this story is that it was easy to connect with the character's we are reading about and we love when that happens because from the onset of the story we already know we are going to love it and we did just that !

The author has done it again and this book goes onto our keeper pile to be read over and over again.

Recommended read to all !

USA Today Best Selling Author Jordan Marie, is just a simple small town country girl who is haunted by Alpha Men who talk in her head 24 hours a day.

She likes to create a book that takes you on an emotional journey whether tears, laughter (or both) or just steamy hot fun (or all 3). She loves to connect with readers and interacting with them through social media, signings or even old fashioned email.

Join her newsletter to stay up to date as well as take part in giveaways and just let her know how you feel about her books!

Link: https://www.jordanmarieromance.com

review 2019-03-12 03:16
Book Review for Knocking Boots (Lucas Brothers Book 5) by Jordan Marie
Knocking Boots - Jordan Marie

Knocking Boots (Lucas Brothers Book 5)

by Jordan Marie

• Amazon purchase link - https://amzn.to/2TtV6ji
  • Reviewed by Angels With Attitude Book Reviews
  • 5 stars from Us
  • arc copy provided for honest review
This cowboy will stop at nothing to lasso his bride.
Too bad she won’t cooperate.

He’s frustrating and likes to play on my last nerve.
He's also drop-dead gorgeous and my walking fantasy.
Which means he's bad news.

As a single mother, I don’t have time for his nonsense.
I forget that I’ve given up on men.

Something about him makes me want to believe in fairy tales again.
But, girls like me don’t get happy endings and we sure don't fall in love.
Do We ?

Recommended read to all !

Link: https://www.jordanmarieromance.com