logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Humor
Load new posts () and activity
review 2017-10-20 22:30
The Travelling Grave by L.P. Hartley
The Travelling Grave and Other Stories - L.P. Hartley

I very much enjoyed this collection of Gothic and creepy stories originally released in the 1940's. I generally prefer short tales that pack a punch, and these are definitely not that. However, they often have a good deal of humor and that sense of atmosphere in which I love to wallow.

The standouts to me were:

A VISITOR FROM DOWN UNDER was, for me, a beautifully told ghost story/tale of revenge.

PODOLO A nice little day trip to the island of Podolo takes a nasty turn. This one reminded me that feral cats may not be worth the effort.

THE TRAVELLING GRAVE was quite the funny story involving a misunderstanding involving perambulators. (Is that word even used anymore? It's a shame if it's not because it's a word that rolls nicely off the tongue.) Anyway, the humor of the situation quickly changed to horror at the gruesome ending. Always be careful playing hide & seek!

CONRAD AND THE DRAGON I wasn't sure what to make of this fairy tale like...tale. It didn't have the usual fairy tale ending, but I found it to be totally charming.

THREE OR FOUR, FOR DINNER was another tale involving some humor and a practical joke gone wrong.

This was my first experience with L.P. Hartley and I'm so glad I gave this collection a try! Recommended!

*Thank you to Valancourt Books for the e-ARC in exchange for my honest review. This is it.*

review 2017-10-19 07:19
Animals Talking In All Caps by Justin Valmassoi
Animals Talking in All Caps: It's Just What It Sounds Like - Justin Valmassoi

A goat who wants to sell you some meth.
A giraffe who might be violating his restraining order.
An alpaca with a very dirty secret.
A cat who’s really mad at you for cancelling Netflix instant.

These are just a few of the hilariously human animals you’ll meet in Animals Talking in All Caps. Inspired by the wildly popular blog of the same name and including some of the site’s best-loved entries as well as gobs of never-before-seen material, these pages provide a brilliantly unhinged glimpse into the animal mind.

Amazon.com

This book is an extension of the humor originally found on author Justin Valmassoi's tumblr page (also called Animals Talking In All Caps). The subtitle on the cover is "It's Just What It Sounds Like" and that's the truth! It's just straight up humorous captions / conversations put to pictures of animals! The conversations touch upon not only pop culture references and relationship craziness but also some more crude or risque material.. but in such a dang cute way!

The book also features a pretty adorable introductory essay :-) In it, Valmassoi writes:

"My friend Stacey asked me to collect all the random caps-lock-captioned animal photos strewn across my many abandoned tumblrs into one convenient spot so she could giggle at them without having to search through years of bad jokes and turgid prose. Having nothing better to do, I obliged. After collecting them all under the highly creative title Animals Talking In Caps, I went on to write a few more. I wrote one or two a day, mostly to keep Stacey entertained. I didn't tell anyone about it because I'm in my thirties and "I made a dog talk about the perils of Western capitalism" is a really embarrassing way to answer the question "What did you do today?" (not that anyone was asking, but just in case). Nonetheless, because it was a website featuring animals, people found it. If it has an animal on it and it's on the internet, everyone will eventually see it because humans are biologically wired to seek out animal photos whenever they get near a computer."

I don't have a ton to say about the book other than to say I was endlessly entertained, it gave me a smile on a bad day, and I'm sure I'll be returning to it for a giggle numerous times for years to come.

Some of my favorites from the collection:

review 2017-10-19 05:52
Mr. Bean's Diary by Robin Driscoll & Rowan Atkinson
Mr Bean's Diary - Robin Driscoll,Rowan Atkinson

A hilarious diary presents a zany chronicle of a year in the life of Mr. Bean, from his New Year's resolutions to the trials and tribulations of romance, poetry class, and run-ins with the local police.

Amazon.com

*This review is based on my 1993 edition of this book. A second edition was released in 2010

First published in the UK in 1993, Mr. Bean's Diary is the result of teamwork between Robin Driscoll (British actor / writer for the Mr. Bean show) and Mr. Bean himself, Rowan Atkinson. Here, fans of the show will get a peek into Bean's daily scheduler, which offers hilarious insight into his wacky psyche (not to mention his wild inventions!).

Sometimes there's some cutesy humor -- Bean having a brief flirtation with the idea of marriage, so he decides to stalk a librarian who catches his eye. Then there's a darker vein of humor, almost in the style of the Ace Ventura "LACES OUT!" bit. There's also some trouble with the police thrown in. One of my favorites was Bean's trip to a psychic medium, where he tries to connect with his mother to ask her where the plunger is so he can unclog the sink (funny, but in a way also rings a little sad). He also mentions posing a question to Charles Dickens regarding his novel Edwin Drood, to which the apparent reply was "Haven't made up my mind yet." :-P Longtime fans of the show will also see plenty of nods to classic content, such as Bean's love of Shirley Bassey and of course regularly avoiding interaction with the landlord Mrs. Wicket.

The attention to detail on each individual page is quite impressive. It's fun to spot things such as tea stains, blood splatters, passport photos of the back of Bean's head LOL, pressed insects. There's even one page layout that features a pressed flower on one side with faint flower residue on the other!

Some of my favorite entries:

* His telephone directory in the front: "God -- Everywhere (Literally, apparently)"

* Has a bad day, writes "Whiskey is lovely" in squiggly, run-off cursive.

* Jan. 19th: "12:15 Lunch in park. 12:25 Left park (too much poo)"

* Feb 15-23 blank entries, Feb 24th "FOUND DIARY!"

* July 27th: "Scream ---> Pull Self Together"

* "Christmas Day, 1992: "3pm -- The Queen"

Also be sure to check out the bonus flip book in the upper right hand corner featuring Bean's car!

review 2017-10-18 02:13
Snuff (Discworld #39) (Audiobook) - DNF @ 24%
Snuff - Terry Pratchett

Just not feeling this one. Sybil's great but Sam is not my favorite character by a long shot, and it's just taking way too long for the actual story to begin. The sarcasm and irony is on overload too, but doesn't really have a point.

review 2017-10-11 19:49
QualityLand - Dunkle Edition | Marc-Uwe Kling
171011 Qualityland
Autor: Marc-Uwe KlingTitel: QualityLand (Dunkle Edition)Genre: Humor, DystopieVerlag: HörbucHHamburg HHV GmbH, [22.09.2017]Spieldauer: [506 Minuten], ungekürztSprecher: Marc-Uwe Kling, live!auch in folgenden Formaten erhältlich: eBook, HC sowie in der hellen EditionWhispersync for Voice verfügbargehört über die Audible-Appklick zu Amazon.deklick zu Audible.de

Inhaltsangabe (Audible):

Willkommen in QualityLand! In der Zukunft ist alles durch Algorithmen optimiert: QualityPartner weiß, wer am besten zu dir passt. Das selbstfahrende Auto weiß, wo du hinwillst. Und wer bei TheShop angemeldet ist, bekommt alle Produkte, die er bewusst oder unbewusst haben will, automatisch zugeschickt. Kein Mensch ist mehr gezwungen, schwierige Entscheidungen zu treffen - denn in QualityLand lautet die Antwort auf alle Fragen: o.k.
Trotzdem beschleicht den Maschinenverschrotter Peter immer mehr das Gefühl, dass mit dem System etwas nicht stimmt. Warum gibt es Drohnen, die an Flugangst leiden, oder Kampfroboter mit posttraumatischer Belastungsstörung? Warum werden die Maschinen immer menschlicher, aber die Menschen immer maschineller?
Marc-Uwe Kling hat die Verheißungen und das Unbehagen der digitalen Gegenwart zu einer verblüffenden Zukunftssatire verdichtet. Visionär, hintergründig - und so komisch wie die Känguru-Trilogie.
Die dunkle und helle Ausgabe unterscheiden sich durch Empfehlungen/Nachrichten/Werbung, die zwischen den Kapiteln eingefügt sind und jeweils ein anderes Weltbild zeichnen:
Hörer der dunklen Edition finden hier den Newsfeed der hellen Edition: qualityland.de/hell.
Hörer der hellen Edition finden hier den Newsfeed der dunklen Edition: qualityland.de/dunkel
Bitte beachten Sie, dass die Newsfeeds erst nach Veröffentlichung der beiden Editionen verfügbar sind.

©2017 Marc-Uwe Kling, Potsdam / Hörbuch Hamburg HHV GmbH, Hamburg (P)2017 Hörbuch Hamburg HHV GmbH, Hamburg

Meine Meinung:

Humorvolle Gesellschaftssatire

Über das Cover brauchen wir, glaube ich nicht zu spekulieren, denn es ist schlicht einfach dunkel – bei der dunklen Edition – oder hell bei der hellen gehalten. Und darauf findet sich nicht viel mehr Aussagekräftiges als der Autor und der Titel. Die Idee der personalisierten Lektüre ist interessant und hat mich direkt angesprochen, und da Marc-Uwe sein Buch wieder selbst liest, war absolut klar, dass ich das Hörbuch haben musste.

Warum ich mich schlussendlich für die dunkle Edition entschieden habe, liegt daran, dass ich mich zuvor informiert habe und gern die Werbeeinblendungen der hellen Edition hören wollte. Die Story ist in beiden Büchern gleich. Zur dunklen Seite der Macht fühle ich mich allerdings nicht hingezogen. Inzwischen habe ich mir auch die beiden Seiten www.qualityland.de/hell und www.qualityland.de/dunkel zu Gemüte geführt und auch in den FAQs gestöbert auf www.marcuwekling.de/faq/. Frage Nr. 4 hat mich direkt wieder zum Lachen gebracht:

Frage: “Kommt das Känguru in dem Buch vor?”
Antwort: “Ein Teil dieser Antwort würde die Bevölkerung verunsichern.”

Marc-Uwe ist hier wieder ein geniales Konzept gelungen. Humor, “das Netz”, eine Art Endzeit-Story und Gesellschaftskritik miteinander zu verbinden und zu einem witzig-düsteren Buch zu verarbeiten, verdient meinen uneingeschränkten Respekt. Ich, als Liebhaberin der Känguru-Chroniken (ich besitze alle Bücher in Hörbuch- und Printausgabe) habe mehrmals beim Fahren laut lachen müssen. Die Querverweise waren einfach zu köstlich.

Der Autor ist nicht nur “Kleinkünstler”, er beherrscht auch die Kunst der einfachen Worte und Fremdworte, Fachbegriffe und die Aneinanderreihung verschiedenster Adjektive. Auch dem Genitiv ist er gewogen. Kurz: Es ist ein Genuss, ihn selbst sein Buch lesen zu hören. Ich kann es uneingeschränkt empfehlen. Und somit gebe ich die volle Punktzahl!

10-10

Bücher der Känguru-Trilogie:

1. Die Känguru-Chroniken – rezensiert 16.01.2015 – 08/10 Punkte
  2. Das Känguru-Manifest – beendet 13.02.2015 – 09/10 Punkte
  3. Die Känguru-Offenbarung – beendet 25.02.2015 – 10/10 Punkte

- Qualityland. Hier: Dunkle Edition – gehört 11.10.2017 – 10/10 Punkte

QualityLand (Dunkle Edition) - HörbucHHamburg HHV GmbH,Marc-Uwe Kling,Marc-Uwe Kling

Source: sunsys-blog.blogspot.de/2017/10/gehort-qualityland-marc-uwe-kling.html