logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Inspiration
Load new posts () and activity
show activity (+)
review 2018-04-18 02:53
Tough as They Come by Travis Mills

In 2012, Staff Sargent Travis Mills of the 82nd Airborne Division put his back pack down in the worst possible place he could in Afghanistan. That's all it takes to set off the IED which robs him of three, and ultimately all four, of his limbs. He is only one of five soldiers to survive such horrific injuries.

But as this book shows, his backpack was also placed in exactly the right place. For as much as Satanic hatred tried to destroy his body and spirit, it did not succeed. It could not. In the great darkness that comes from overwhelming physical and emotional pain, it can only serve to highlight the light that comes from the human ability to bear the unbearable and shine out all the brighter and be seen all the clearer because of the darkness. Because Travis went through the night, cheered and strengthened by one who came to him who had already come back through the black into the light, he serves as a light to others. If he had not gone through hell, he could not show others the way out. Click on the link for the great work this inspired. Certainly not the enemy intended! The darkness wishes to devour us all, but it cannot if we look to such examples as Travis and see the black night rent by their light.

Rock on, Travis, and all your brothers who serve as inspirations. God bless you all.

review 2018-02-22 02:25
Boycott Blues
Boycott Blues: How Rosa Parks Inspired a Nation - Andrea Davis Pinkney,Brian Pinkney

AR: 2.9

Grade Level: 3rd-6th

Summary: Boycott Blues is a book all about how people, during the civil rights movement, dealt with segregation. The story is told from a "dog-tired hound", which makes the book even more interesting!

Idea: I absolutely fell in love with this book the first time I read it! The fact that it's told from a dog, who's singing the "boycott blues" is amazing! I also love the fact that the author personifies segregation, as a menacing bird. This is an amazing book to intertwine social studies with, and to teach figurative language!

review 2018-02-21 03:33
What's Your Name?
My Name Is Truth: The Life of Sojourner Truth - Ann Turner,James Ransome

AR: 4.4

Grade Level: 2nd-5th

Summary: My Name Is Truth describes the life of slave, Sojourner Truth. It goes into detail of her life as a slave, then dwells into how she received her name Sojourner Truth.

Idea: I absolutely love this book! It's an excellent book to help introduce slavery to students. It encourages determination, what we want all of our students to have. I will most definitely be using this book to cover a unit on slavery during social studies.

review 2018-02-20 06:49
You Can Be Anything You Want To Be!
Amazing Grace - Mary Hoffman,Caroline Binch

AR:

3.5

Grade Level:

Prek-4th

Summary:

Have you ever had anyone tell you that you couldn't be something because of your race, gender, etc? Yeah? Well Grace can relate. Amazing Grace is about how Grace chooses to take on the role of achieving her goals, despite what her peers have to say about it. No matter what, YOU CAN be anything and everything you want like to be!

Idea:

I absolutely love this book! It teaches so much about character and diverisity! A fun activity that I would allow students to participate in is acting out the book. This way, they can literally put their foot in someone else's shoes!

review 2018-02-17 04:29
Groovy Guide to Life
Pete the Cat's Groovy Guide to Life - James Dean,Kimberly Dean,James Dean

AR: 2.4

Grade Level: Prek-1st

Summary: This book is a collection of inspirational quotes from various well-known people. It would bring positivity to anyone who reads it!

Idea: I will most definitely be using this book in my classroom to allow students to choose one quote a day. The students will then use their chosen quotes to work on weekly.This activity would help to build character.