logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: James-Lee-Burke
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-05-04 18:23
A Morning for Flamingos by James Lee Burke - My Thoughts
A Morning for Flamingos - James Lee Burke

Not gonna lie, the title of this book had a lot to do with me giving it a try when it showed up in the 'on sale' section at Kobo.  Me and flamingos, all the way.

review 2018-07-30 03:39
Semiosis by Sue Burke
Semiosis - James Lee Burke

A woefully unprepared group of humans starts a colony on an alien planet. Stuff goes wrong right from the beginning and it just seems like a matter of time before they die out. The cool thing is that they befriend an intelligent plant, and it negotiates with other plants on their behalf. Oh, and they move into a city left behind by other aliens who apparently also tried to colonize the planet.

So despite the apparently ill-fated nature of their colonization attempt, the book has some cool concepts. Unfortunately, I just didn't enjoy reading it all that much. It's divided into chapters in the life of the colony over the span of about a hundred years that are told from different viewpoints, so it feels more like a set of inter-related short stories than a coherent novel. Not exactly my cup of tea.

The dialogue felt really choppy in the earlier chapters, and since the main POV character was constantly changing, I had varying degrees of interest in the various chapters. Also, the book feels depressing because I feel that the colony is doomed to die out eventually.

review 2018-06-03 19:47
The writing of James Lee Burke is delightful to read
Robicheaux - James Lee Burke

The action takes place in the Louisiana delta region of the United States. Dave Robicheaux is still haunted by the death of his wife Molly in an automobile accident and has always suspected that JT Bartez was to blame. One morning he awakens up in a police station to be told that he is the chief suspect in the murder of Bartez and given that Robicheaus has marks and bruises on his hands can only lead to one conclusion....So as our knowledgeable detective sets out to reclaim his good name a serial killer with the gentle name of Smiley is at work in the delta region killing whose who deserve to have their life terminated.

James Lee Burke writes lyrically about a time and place he obviously knows very well. It is not so much the story that attracts me to his writing but his wonderful descriptions full of warmth and humour..."Those truths have less to do with the dead than the awareness that we are no different from them, that they are still with us and we are still with them, and there is no afterlife but only one life"......"I admired him and perhaps sometimes even envied his combination of composure and ardor, as well as his ability to float above the pettiness that characterizes the greater part of our lives"....."With each day that passed, I felt as though the world I had known was being airbrushed out of a painting"....."She was one of those women who seemed to choose solitude and plainness over beauty, and anger over happiness"...."people are what they do, not what they think, not what they say"....."He's one step away from the worm food and knows it"...."Louisiana is not a state; it's an outdoor mental asylum in which millions of people stay bombed most of their lives"...."Solitude and peace with oneself are probably the only preparation one has for death"....."If you have attended the dying, you know what their last moments are like. They anticipate the separation of themselves from the world of the living before you do, and they accept it with dignity and without complaint"...

review 2016-08-21 23:18
The Jealous Kind: A Novel (A Holland Family Novel) - James Lee Burke

This was actually my first James Lee Burke book. I've read several of his daughter's books, I've even met her. Sad, it's taken me this long to find him.

What a great book this was! This book was full of everything. Action, heart, love, nostalgia, evil, honesty, goodness, innocence, rebellion, the mob, I mean the list just goes on. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. The fact that it was based in Houston also added to my appeal. While the time period was 40 years before I got here, it was kind of educational and interesting to learn a little history while reading fiction.

Of course, it was action packed and the pages were just flying past. An excellent read and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Huge thanks to Simon and Schuster for approving my request and to Net Galley for providing the free e-galley in exchange for an honest review.

review 2016-06-03 14:28
House of the Rising Sun by James Lee Burke, narrated by Will Patton
House of the Rising Sun - James Lee Burke

The reason I decided to read this book was because of the narrator, Will Patton. I will happily listen to him narrate anything and this audiobook was available to download at my library. Unfortunately, I did NOT realize that it was the 4th book in a series at the time, but I don't think I missed out on much. However, I am hoping that Will Patton narrates the rest of the them and if so I will be downloading those as well.

This is a western that takes place around the late 1800's up to around 1918. We move around from Mexico, to Texas and to San Antonio. Hackberry Holland is not the greatest of men, but somehow the reader comes to care for him and his twisted sense of morality. The women in this book just about stole the show. From Maggie, Hackberry's super-devious wife, to Ruby, (his mistress) and the mysterious Ms. DeMolay. (I'm not sure of the spelling of her name, as I listened instead of reading it in print.) The villain, evil Arnold Beckman, is an arms dealer, selling to both sides of conflicts all over the world. A better, more interesting set of characters would be hard to find.

I guess I'm starting to like westerns because this book was fun. After a slightly slow start when I thought for a little while that I might not finish this book, things picked up and the characters began to grow and change. Then I was hooked right up until the end.

Recommended for fans of westerns and DEFINITELY for fans of Will Patton's narration!