logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Jamie
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-01-14 09:28
Hacking Darwin by Jamie Metzl
Hacking Darwin: Genetic Engineering and the Future of Humanity - Jamie Frederic Metzl

TITLE:   Hacking Darwin: Genetic Engineering and the Future of Humanity

AUTHOR:  Jamie Metzl

EXPECTED PUBLICATION DATE:  23 April 2019

FORMAT:  PDF ARC

ISBN-13:  9781492670094

___________________________

DESCRIPTION:

" After 3.8 billion years humankind is about to start evolving by new rules...

From leading geopolitical expert and technology futurist Jamie Metzl comes a groundbreaking exploration of the many ways genetic-engineering is shaking the core foundations of our lives -- sex, war, love, and death.

At the dawn of the genetics revolution, our DNA is becoming as readable, writable, and hackable as our information technology. But as humanity starts retooling our own genetic code, the choices we make today will be the difference between realizing breathtaking advances in human well-being and descending into a dangerous and potentially deadly genetic arms race.

Enter the laboratories where scientists are turning science fiction into reality. Look towards a future where our deepest beliefs, morals, religions, and politics are challenged like never before and the very essence of what it means to be human is at play. When we can engineer our future children, massively extend our lifespans, build life from scratch, and recreate the plant and animal world, should we?

Passionate, provocative, and highly illuminating, Hacking Darwin is the must read book about the future of our species for fans of Homo Deus and The Gene.
"

___________________________

REVIEW:

Hacking Darwin takes a look at the current status of genetic engineering, as well as the possible and probable future uses of these tools, ethics, and the future of humanity.  Metzl has written an engaging, fascinating and thought-provoking book that focuses on the fast approaching and inevitable (and exiting) genetic revolution, with clear explanations of the tools involved and the consequences of their use.  The writing is clear, explanations accurate and not too technical for the general interested reader.

This book covers a vast array of topics that fall under the genetic engineering umbrella.  He starts off with the history of genetic research, IVF, genetic screening; and continues with the relationship between genetics, diseases, traits, the environment; AI tools to process complex genetic patters; the pros and cons of the genetic engineering tools; "designer babies"; stem-cell research; mitochondrial disease; multiple donar babies; gene-editing tools such as CRISPR;  gene-therapy; safety issues and challenges to the current technology; chimeras; organ transplants; synthetic biology; aging; the ethics and responsibility of using genetic engineering tool; our relationship with nature; GMOs; the arms race of the human race; and finaly, the furture of humanity.

Metzl states that his intent is to inform the public about the genetic revolution so that we can "make the smartest collective decisions about our war forward... to understand what is happening and what's at stake."  Genetic entineering is a tool.  The genetic revolution has the potential to improve lives or do great harm.  The future of humanity depends on how we use it.

review 2018-12-09 01:54
AMONG MONSTERS by JAMIE McGUIRE
Among Monsters - Jamie McGuire

Really good book. I wish it were longer. I'm hoping the author is going to be writing more of this series.

review 2018-12-05 17:22
BOOK BLITZ, REVIEW & #GIVEAWAY - Defensive Play (Boys on the Brink) by Jamie Deacon
Defensive Play (Boys on the Brink) - Jamie Deacon

Defensive Play is the first book by this author I have read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Davey knows he is gay, but he hasn't told anyone. He is a geek who has managed to earn the respect of his football team, and he is worried if he comes out, he will lose that. He thinks he has it all under control, until Adam shows up. With one glance, Davey starts to become unraveled.

This was a sweet story, with some angst in tune with the story. Mostly, it is about Davey and how he feels, what he will do, and what will the fall out be. It is a novella, so expect the pacing to be fairly fast. There were no editing or grammatical errors that disrupted my reading flow.

A thoroughly enjoyable story, and I look forward to reading more by this author. Definitely recommended by me.

* I received a copy of this book with no requirements for a review. I voluntarily read this book, and the comments here are my honest opinion. *

Merissa
Archaeolibrarian - I Dig Good Books!

Source: archaeolibrarianologist.blogspot.com/2018/12/book-blitz-review-giveaway-defensive.html
review 2018-11-01 19:18
Fun Read!
Tell Me Something Good (Entangled Lovestruck) - Jamie Wesley

Tell Me Something Good is a fun contemporary romance by Jamie Wesley.  Ms. Wesley has delivered a well-written book furnished with outstanding characters.  Tate hosts a sports radio program.  Noelle is a psychologist and works at the same station offering relationship advice.  Tate and Noelle's story is loaded with drama, humor and spice.  I enjoyed reading Tell Me Something Good and look forward to reading more from Jamie Wesley in the future.  Tell Me Something Good is book 1 of the One-On-One Series but can be read as a standalone.  This is a complete book, not a cliff-hanger.

review 2018-10-24 02:30
Love and Other Consolation Prizes
Love and Other Consolation Prizes: A Novel - Jamie Ford

Ok, full disclosure: I love Jamie Ford's writing. I think that Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet was the first book I read on a kindle, which was a difficult transition for me, because I have always been a book buyer. Despite the number of books I read on "devices", I still love the weight and feel of one in my hands. At some point, though, I understood the financial downside to needing to own every book I read, not to mention the rapidly decreasing amount of space to store them in my home. So, reading that first book was truly bittersweet, but thankfully, the quality of the story far outweighed my reluctance to read it on a kindle.

And though I read this book on my kindle too, I do have a couple Jamie Ford novels (and even a comic book) which he autographed when he was our guest speaker at our annual author lunch. All of that is to say again, I'm a fan, and Love and Other Consolation Prizes  did nothing to change that.

Ford demonstrates his ability to create a rich, quirky, entirely engaging cast of characters, as well as his knack for finding a "truth is stranger than fiction" topic. His story begins at the 1909 Seattle World's Fair, where a 12-year-old boy is being raffled off. Seriously. If that doesn't capture your imagination, I really don't know what will.