logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: John-Green
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-12-09 12:00
An Abundance of Katherine by John Green.
An Abundance of Katherines - John Green

This book is about a boy named Colin Singleton who had recently been dumped by a girl named Katherine, got dumbed nineteenth times by girls named Katherine, all his life he has dated girls with the name Katharine. He was devastated, and his friend Hassan and he decided to go on a road trip to, well they didn't really have a destination but there turned out to be one, eventually. This road trip involves many surprises

review 2018-11-24 14:25
The Fault in our Stars | Book Review

The Fault in our Star book is about Hazel Grace Lancaster, and how a book about a cancer sufferer which brings two sufferers close. The other sufferer being Augustus Waters.

But there is some fault in the characterization. John’s characters, Hazel Grace and Augustus, sound more like 25 or 30 year old adults then 17 year old teenagers.  The character of Augustus is more very mature according to his age. But then the wit John has used in his characters is wonderful to read. The sarcasm is outstanding. This made the dialog conversations between the main characters is realistic and fun to read.

I could imagine the characters in front of me conversing to each other. It was that clear. Also, the book is for a quodophile(i.e. me). I also feel, John develop these mature characters as the book also targets young adults and which I feel is a very good thing. The young adults could add something new to their vocabularies and learn some small-small morals which this book provides and make a good impact on their attitude and personality through their whole life. This effort, of the author, I appreciate.

There was also one more fault with the book is that in the end it becomes too much emotional. And that aspect I certainly do not like. But hey, I am not the author, John Green is, and he has full rights to write whatever he wants. Also, he being a male writer, wrote the entire book in female teenager’s point of view. And I feel, he did a good job. Never once, I felt that something was too manly about his female characterization.

review 2018-11-22 17:57
The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars (Movie Tie-in) - John Green

Love stories are my favorite subject, and love story featured in this book has touched my heart to such an extent that I had shed a few tears along the way as I had followed the lead protagonist's journey towards finding her love and finding her soulmate. I've read some of the reviews about the love story being far-fetched and fast-paced, but to me it didn't seem that way at all, I loved the dynamic between the two love birds and how they had managed to discover one another and fell in love with each other, for I strongly believe we all have our very own soulmate out there somewhere and we won't ever find it by living buried in comfort far away from pursuing our dreams, and pursuing love that's meant for us.

review 2018-07-13 16:49
A teen romance... sort of
Turtles All the Way Down - John Green

A girl Aza who has spiral thinking and germaphobic want to get out of her head. She has a best friend who write fan fiction of Star Wars Wookiee Chewbacca.

The story starts with a rich man was on the run from the police. The police has a ten thousands dollars reward for clue to find him.

Aza knew he man's son Davis. So they pretend to be just happened to be in the area and trying to clue to find the man and get the reward at first. Of course, that's not what they got. Aza starts dating Davis.

The story is kind of sweet as it is into poetry and fan fictions and girl being depressed and couldn't help herself or get away from her though.

That's the good part. Even though it is a lot of grey it is still a good read. All John Green's fans would not be disappointed.

review 2018-07-04 19:31
Looking for Alaska / John Green
Looking for Alaska - John Green

Before: Miles “Pudge” Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave “the Great Perhaps” even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then. . . .
After: Nothing is ever the same.

This is my first foray into John Green’s writing, undertaken for my real life book club during our year of reading young adult literature. It seemed appropriate to include one of Green’s books, since he is sometimes credited “with ushering in a new golden era for contemporary, realistic, literary teen fiction, following more than a decade of dominance by books about young wizards, sparkly vampires, and dystopia.” (Wikipedia).

Looking for Alaska is his first published novel. One of the things that I did appreciate about it was its male narrator, Miles “Pudge” Halter. A story of a young man, written by a male author, something that we could use more of in the world of YA. One presumes that Green, having been an adolescent boy, would bring his experience to the novel and that seemed to me to be the case. Of course, my only way of judging is from comparison to my long-ago experience of being a teen girl.

I also appreciated the strong character of Alaska Young, the young woman who provides the lynch-pin of Halter’s boarding school life. She is intelligent (coaching the boys in mathematics) and a reader with a large collection of books in her room. But she is also cool, smoking & drinking & presumably sexually active (we readers only see the first two activities). She challenges the boys regularly on matters of female objectification and patriarchy. But she has a boyfriend outside of the boarding school, which makes her off-limits as a potential girlfriend to the boys—nevertheless, they all fall for the beautiful Alaska and hope to be the one to catch her fancy should she break up with Jake.

I liked all those features—so why only 3 stars? Because I felt really emotionally manipulated during my reading. My first few tears were shed in the coffee room at work, and I decided to finish up the book at home rather than cry in the workplace. For my money, Patrick Ness does a much better job at writing a YA book on grief in A Monster Calls. I cried over that one too, but it felt a bit more honest to me somehow.

Mind you, I would never discourage anyone from reading Looking for Alaska. I consider 3 stars to be a pretty good rating and I’m sure that younger readers would rate the novel higher than I do. And it certainly provides the young male viewpoint that is needed to attract young men into the world of reading.