logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Jonathan-Coe
Load new posts () and activity
review 2020-02-21 07:02
Nasze codzienne wybory kształtują rzeczywistość.
review 2020-02-10 11:56

FORMAT:  ebook

ASIN: B06Y398ML7

________________________

DESCRIPTION:

In 2000, biologist Jonathan Wells took the science world by storm with Icons of Evolution, a book showing how biology textbooks routinely promote Darwinism using bogus evidence—icons of evolution like Ernst Haeckel’s faked embryo drawings and peppered moths glued to tree trunks. Critics of the book complained that Wells had merely gathered up a handful of innocent textbook errors and blown them out of proportion. Now, in Zombie Science, Wells asks a simple question: If the icons of evolution were just innocent textbook errors, why do so many of them still persist? Science has enriched our lives and led to countless discoveries. But now, Wells argues, it’s being corrupted. Empirical science is devolving into zombie science, shuffling along unfazed by opposing evidence. Discredited icons of evolution rise from the dead while more icons—equally bogus—join their ranks. Like a B horror movie, they just keep coming! Zombies are make believe, but zombie science is real—and it threatens not just science, but our whole culture. Is there a solution? Wells is sure of it, and points the way.

_______________________________

COMMENT:

Interesting. Provides food for thought and more stuff to research.

review 2020-02-09 18:43
Middle England by Jonathan Coe
Middle England - Jonathan Coe

F.Y.I: The book page says the author is someone other than who it is. I'm working to change this.

Middle England won the Costa Book Award and I’ve always really enjoyed their picks in the past. Considering this was as much a family drama as it was a critique of Brexit, I couldn’t wait to start.

Middle England is the third book in the Rotter’s club series, but I haven’t read the other two and I can’t see any need to. I wasn’t confused at any point and found that everything that had happened to the characters previously was well explained.

This worked in alternate chapters, with the main focus being on Colin, a middle-aged author and Sophie, his niece. There were quite a few chapters from the perspective of Colin’s friend, Doug, a left-wing political commentator. In saying this, the novel didn’t really lean towards the left or right, but instead used these perspectives to focus on the problems of Brexit.

The novel takes place over a number of years and the largest focus concerning Brexit was from Doug’s perspective. He has a contact in David Cameron’s (the Prime Minister who called the vote on EU membership) and he meets up with him over the course of several years while he’s immersed in the government. This was quite a humorous relationship and showcased the downfall of Cameron in light of the referendum result.

Sophie, Colin’s niece, meets a man at the beginning of the novel and their relationship is charted throughout. Difficulty arises between them which again highlighted the issues concerning Brexit and how these differences in political opinion can infect relationships.

The novel didn’t have one particular focus, but many threads that ran through it, such as Colin’s relationship with his past love. What held it all together, though, and appeared throughout was Brexit. It was handled gently and wasn’t overstated.

While I enjoyed spending time with the characters, there was no-one I loved. I enjoyed it and its simple exploration of Brexit. A novel that was very timely.

review 2020-01-28 18:45
DEEP SILENCE by Jonathan Maberry, narrated by Ray Porter
Deep Silence (Joe Ledger #10) - Jonathan Maberry,Ray Porter

What a ride!

Here we join Captain Ledger and the DMS team, once again facing bad publicity and once again, saving the world.

Everyone is here, including Mr. Church, Aunt Sally and Ghost. Instead of Doctor Hu, we now have Doc Holiday, and, (of course), she's related to the real Doc Holiday.

This series has been a huge part of my life over the past 6 months. I feel like I know all of these people, (and Ghost), as well as, or maybe even better than, my own family. In fact, I like these people MORE than most of my own family.

Thanks to Jonathan Maberry and Ray Porter for the many, many hours of enjoyment I've spent with the Department of Military Sciences. I'm looking forward to joining everyone again in RAGE: ROGUE TEAM INTERNATIONAL.

Until then? HOOAH!

*I rejoined Audible solely due to this series. I was tired of waiting for the audios to come in at the library. Plus, the library didn't have them all on audio. I do not for one second regret this decision.*

review 2020-01-21 17:30
How to Date Your Dragon
How to Date Your Dragon - Molly Harper, Amanda Ronconi,Jonathan Davis
Mystic Bayou, Book 1

I Picked Up This Book Because: I’m a fan of the author’s previous works.

The Characters:

Jillian Ramsay:
Bael Boone:
Zed,

The Story:

Oh what to say about Mystic Bayou?? It’s an interesting place and who was I surprised by the trouble that can be caused. A small town with big secrets. Mainly sifters or magi of all kinds. Jillian is there to study the town. How it came together and how so many different species live life so peacefully. Being new to town, she is not only a great person of interest, she’s a mate prospect for two particular bachelors at least according to their mothers.

This book is fun, cute and Jillian and Bael have tons of chemistry. The camaraderie in the town in general is good and Bael and Zed’s friendship struck a chord with me specifically. I can’t wait for book two.

The Random Thoughts: