logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Joyce-Carol-Oates
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-07-12 19:32
A Widow's Story - Joyce Carol Oates
Missing Mom - Joyce Carol Oates
About Alice - Calvin Trillin
How We Die: Reflections of Life's Final Chapter - Sherwin B. Nuland

So, I've been off BL for a long, long time. A lot has happened, I got pregnant and had a daughter. My mom got sick and passed away. I had to clear out and sell my childhood home and all the contents while trying to balance all of that and my full time job. It's been...something.

For a while, not long after my mom died (3 days before Christmas 2016 when my daughter was only 5 months old) I started searching out and reading books that dealt with death and grief. I read a lot of Joan Didion The Year of Magical ThinkingBlue Nights. I read When Breath Becomes Air and About Alice and A Widow's Story. I started Missing Mom and couldn't go any further because it was too hard and How We Die.

The Bright Hour is one of the most beautiful books I've read, ever. I can't possibly describe it except to use it's full title--The Bright Hour: a memoir of living and dying. It is so full of life, all the messiness and happiness and tragedy and humor and it faces death and mortality head on, unflinching.

I recently reread it, now a year and a half since my mother passed, it still has such power and peace. I can't recommend it enough.

review 2018-06-14 21:26
Night-gaunts
Night-Gaunts and Other Tales of Suspense - Joyce Carol Oates

If ever a cover would catch my eye, it would be this one. It hints at a bit darkness and mystery and even the colors seem to draw the eye. That said, what I found inside didn't quite deliver for me. I usually enjoy collections of stories in one book. They're perfect for reading a story here and another there as time permits, but after reading the first in this collection, I have to say that I wasn't left with much inclination to move on to the next. I did eventually finish the book in hopes of finding at least one story that I could connect with, but only found more of the same. The writing felt choppy and abrupt, which may have played a part in my lack of connection to the characters or their stories. I also did not find anything particularly mysterious or suspenseful in these tales, which could also lead back to that lack of connection. From the ratings, I realize that I am indeed in the minority here, so I'm going to chalk this one up to not the book for me.

review 2017-10-18 17:09
- Chodzi mi o to, że może to nielogiczne i bezsensowne, a nawet niesprawiedliwe: pokutować całe życie z powodu jednego strasznego zdarzenia...
review SPOILER ALERT! 2017-10-09 21:54
Big Mouth and Ugly Girl - Joyce Carol Oates

Average book. A story about an American teen who loses all of his friends and becomes suicidal after an unforeseen event. Nearly kills himself but gets saved when a girl his age saves him. Everything and everyone are happy again, they kiss, the end. Pretty average storyline.

review 2017-07-02 00:00
We Have Always Lived in the Castle
We Have Always Lived in the Castle - Shirley Jackson,Joyce Carol Oates 3,75 stars. I liked it, but in a way that's really hard to pin point. Everything about this was better than average, yet nothing blew my mind.