logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Kim-Jones
Load new posts () and activity
review 2019-11-20 19:07

Format: Kindle

Source: Library

Date Read: November 4-5, 2019

Review

A fast paced story that did not skimp on characterization, this is the story of Lena's and Campbell's chaotic and scary night. Lena is an African-American high schooler who has a strong network of family and friends and dreams of being a high-profile stylist. I loved Lena which is why I hated that she let Black skip out on rescuing her where she was at rather than meeting him where he was at. But Black came through as a solid boyfriend at the end of the story, so I can't be too mad at him. Campbell was the new girl and the reader sees how the neighborhood/area of Atlanta has the tension among residents and the government (police) rising. Campbell was forced to move in with her dad because her mom took a job in another country and wouldn't let Campbell go with her. Her family wasn't really there to support her at all and she didn't really have a support structure before the night went sideways; she did, however, have a certain inborn privilege that helped her and Lena survive the riot and get home.

Everything about this book was pitch perfect and I highly recommend it.

review 2019-11-11 21:27
4 Out Of 5 STARS for I'm Not Dying With You Tonight by Kimberly Jones & Gilly Segal
I’m Not Dying With You Tonight - Gilly Segal,Kimberly Jones

FEATURING

Part of the Big Library Read in November
Racial Tension
Rioting & Looting
Bonding
Young Adult

With Audio Performed by Brittany Pressley & Channie Waites

LINK TO SYNOPSIS (K.JONES WEBSITE)
LINK TO SYNOPSIS (G.SEGAL WEBSITE)

MY RATING⇢ 4 STARS | GRADE B+

MY THOUGHTS

A timely read that could be all too real...the most interesting aspect of this book is being able to see through the eyes of each girl and knowing their thoughts throughout.  Having each character written by a different author made the differences in the characters even more tangible.

This is also a super quick listen that is always available at most Overdrive Libraries as part of the Big Library Read, but only through the 18th of November.  The Audio version is performed very well by both narrators.

THE BREAKDOWN⇢

Backdrop (World Building) 3.8/5
Originality 4/5
Ending 4/5
_____

Book Cover Love it...with the mirror flip element it has going on.
Setting Atlanta, GA
Source Libby Audiobook (Library)
Length 5 hours, 20 minutes

review 2019-11-11 05:15
The Only Good Indians
The Only Good Indians - Stephen Graham Jones

This is a truly strange book, and I like that about it. Jones really nails the whole creeping dread, slow burn, unhinged reality thing. And I am here for it. I also appreciated how much of this story was tied to Native American experiences and storytelling. This book couldn't have been written by, or about, white people and been even remotely similar. The horror, characters, and narrative all tie so tightly into native topics that you could never pull them apart. It was probably my favorite part.

I don't want to say too much about this one because I'm so glad I went into it blind, and I recommend avoiding spoilers as much as possible. All you need to know is this is a uniquely Native American take on the horror genre and it is chock full of tragedy, humanity, striking visuals, creeping dread, and a supernatural element that will chill you to your core. I was gritting my teeth and fighting the urge to look away, even as I read past my bedtime. If any of that sounds like it might be up your alley give this book a try.

The Only Good Indians hits shelves in April of 2020.

Thank you to the publisher for the ARC!

review 2019-11-10 03:48
Daisy Jones & The Six
Daisy Jones & the Six - Taylor Jenkins Reid

I am so late reviewing this book, but thank goodness nobody was waiting around for my review to convince them to read it. As so many have figured out by now, this is a terrific book. Written in the style of the best Rolling Stone interviews, back when we clamored to read each new issue, this book just rolled along, surprising and delighting with sly plot twists and a beguiling cast of characters. Reid captures all of the behind-the-scenes drama, and relates it in a style that is compelling and completely believable. I was thinking so much about Fleetwood Mac while reading this that at some points I needed to remind myself that it wasn’t their story—not because it was so similar, but because the characters were so real. Definitely a must for old school rock fans.