logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Kindle-Books
Load new posts () and activity
review SPOILER ALERT! 2019-12-03 22:07
Book Review : The pact Elle kennedy
The Pact - Elle Kennedy

November 30

This is also part of the "All Wrapped Up" set with six standalone holiday short stories.

Thanks to my hectic schedule as a pro hockey player, my girl and I are spending more time apart than together. Luckily, I have a solution–a romantic New Year’s Eve getaway in the mountains, just me and Grace and plenty of sexytimes. Except this blizzard has other ideas…

Review : it was nice to be back with grace and Logan in this short story. Grace and Logan have been missing each other Logan is on the road with hockey. They plan a trip but then they get snowed in their car and end up spending new years in the car until they can get help it was cute and they talked about how they miss each other and want to spend all the time together when they can be together it was cute .

review 2019-12-03 05:37
Immoral Code
Immoral Code - Lillian Clark

This book wins points for its diverse, inclusive cast of characters, with each of five friends telling a part of the story. Since it’s a heist story involving hackers, a digital reader would seem appropriate, right? Not exactly. While the characters have distinct stories, the switching points of view were difficult for me to track, and I spent a lot of time going back to the chapter heads to figure out who was talking. I did, however, appreciate the smart and funny dialogue; reminded me of a modern version of Friends, only they were all just a wee bit smarter. Despite the title, I was disappointed that only one of the characters seemed to have a moral conscience. Yes, I feel old now, having just used the term “modern version of Friends” and worrying about the moral conscious of fictional characters, but still.

As a parent of a child the age of the characters in this book, I am clearly not the intended audience, but I still consider myself an open and caring reader. I kept wondering why, if Bellamy was as brilliant as I’m supposed to believe she is, she could not confront her father (or mother) more directly about the money before it got to the point of a heist. Yes, I know there wouldn’t have been much of a story, but this plotline seemed incredible to me—and the neatly wrapped up ending kind of proved my point. I admit, the idea of robbing my parents (or attempting any kind of heist) would definitely have been more appealing to teenage-me than it was to mommy-me, so there is a decidedly large audience for this story regardless of my take on it. In any case, I finished the book because the writing was sharp and often funny, and I will be interested to see what Clark comes up with next.

review SPOILER ALERT! 2019-11-28 07:57
Book review: Sadie courtney summers
Sadie - Courtney Summers

October 27-November 28

A missing girl on a journey of revenge and a Serial-like podcast following the clues she's left behind.

Sadie hasn't had an easy life. Growing up on her own, she's been raising her sister Mattie in an isolated small town, trying her best to provide a normal life and keep their heads above water.

But when Mattie is found dead, Sadie's entire world crumbles. After a somewhat botched police investigation, Sadie is determined to bring her sister's killer to justice and hits the road following a few meager clues to find him.

When West McCray—a radio personality working on a segment about small, forgotten towns in America—overhears Sadie's story at a local gas station, he becomes obsessed with finding the missing girl. He starts his own podcast as he tracks Sadie's journey, trying to figure out what happened, hoping to find her before it's too late.

Courtney Summers has written the breakout book of her career. Sadie is propulsive and harrowing and will keep you riveted until the last page.

Trigger warning pedophilia sexual assault
Review:
This book was a really interesting read I highly recommend the audiobook it was really highly produced .
So this book is told in two POV a podcast called the girls and Sadie's point of view. Sadie's younger sister maddie has been murdered and sadie knows who it was and wants to kill him . West the guy doing the podcast is trying to find out about sadie . Sadie finds out information about Keith who is really jack from a woman who dated him and left him cause of his interest. Sadie finds Marley brother silas but first she found his kids and a guy named Javi who she let herself for awhile like but then she stalks silas and finds some unsettling things and tells javi to call the police on him and he does get arrested thankfully. West is still finding out information about sadie and interviewing people she was using her middle name with people she was meeting . Sadie gets a motel room and finds this is a place Keith/jack stayed she has to get into that room so she does and she finds trofies from other girls hes abused with that she finds him and there was an altercation and I think we can guess what happened. West finds the last woman he was with Amanda and her daughter who was abused also jack is dead from an untreated stab wound probably from sadie . The ending yes it's not satisfying but I think its realistic cause sometimes girls dont get found but I think we can guess jack killed sadie and he killed madie the DNA matched that so at least that was solved .

Quotes :
And it begins, as so many stories do, with a dead girl

But love is complicated, it’s messy. It can inspire selflessness, selfishness, our greatest accomplishments and our hardest mistakes. It brings us together and it can just as easily drive us apart.

I wish this was a love story. A love story about lovers whose mouths meet like two puzzle pieces fitting perfectly into place, about the electric feeling of one person’s name on the other’s tongue because no one has ever spoken them out loud like that before. About people who spend the night together looking at the stars until entire constellations exist within them. Everyone is perfect in that indistinct way most characters are and every perfectly constructed scene in their fictional lives is somehow more real than anything you’ve known or lived. Love stories, romances, leave a person secure in the knowledge they’ll end Happily Ever After and who wouldn’t want a story like that? I wish this was a love story because I know how it goes in one like mine, where the only moments of reprieve are the spaces between its lines. But here’s the thing I tell myself to dull the sharp edges of everything that’s surely left to come: The worst has already happened.

And Sadie, if you’re out there, please let me know. Because I can’t take another dead girl.”

review 2019-11-21 05:07
I'm Not Really a Waitress: How One Woman Took Over the Beauty Industry One Color at a Time - Suzi Weiss-Fischmann

As a partner in a women-owned business, I am always interested in reading stories about successful women. Fischmann’s rags-to-riches story does not disappoint. Her ability to envision the future of OPI, a blockbuster cosmetics company, from the remnants of a pretty uninspiring dental supply company, will be heartening to anyone considering a grassroots startup. Besides this, her stories about the creation of her iconic polish names are fun and engaging, and her determination to empower women and support her community makes for a compelling and thoughtful read.

review 2019-11-21 04:35
Twenty-One Truths About Love
Twenty-one Truths About Love - Matthew Dicks

I think there might be mixed feelings about the format of this book—told mostly in lists—but I thought it was engaging and made for a fast-paced read.

(yes, you know I’m totally going there with the lists)

This book has so much going for it:

1. a smart, charming, funny protagonist…
  2. who quits his job to open a bookstore.
  3. Ok, yeah, so that was really enough to get me to read it.

But, as we all know, owning a bookstore is not a get-rich quick scheme. So, when the business starts to fail (or actually, never really gets off the ground),

does Daniel Mayrock decide to:

1. Host author events
  2. Promote the store in social media and in town
  3. Talk to his wife?

No, he does not. Instead, he comes up with an idea to get out of debt that is:

1. Spectacularly far-fetched
  2. Kind of insulting, at least to this reader.

What happened to smart Daniel?

1. He became a wimp
  2. The story went off the rails
  3. I kept waiting for him to say, “yeah, I was kidding. It was a joke.”
  4. He did not.

But wait, you gave it 4 stars!

1. The writing was so engaging that I finished it despite being annoyed.
  2. I am hoping that next time Dicks stays true to his character, because Daniel deserved better.
  3. But I can’t wait for the next one, because this was a story with heart.
  4. I am a sucker for heart.
  5. Who isn’t?