logo
Wrong email address or username
Wrong email address or username
Incorrect verification code
Search tags: Kindle
Load new posts () and activity
review 2018-02-20 22:33
Book is Good but Audio is Better
This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection - Carol Burnett

I grew up watching Carol Burnett, I saw her in a few movies and as a guest star. She is a phenomenal talent. Reading this book and listening to her telling (audio) of the book allowed a new insight into her life and career. Moments that were filled with laughter, moments where you appreciated how hard she worked to get to her dream and one moment where you heard all the emotion as she read her daughter's obituary. Yes, I actually cried at hearing the emotion in her voice describing her daughter's death. The reading was good, but hearing her tell the story was even better.

review 2018-02-20 13:11
Review: "Winterkartoffelknödel: Ein Provinzkrimi" (Franz Eberhofer, #1) by Rita Falk
Winterkartoffelknödel: Ein Provinzkrimi - Rita Falk

~ 4 stars ~

review 2018-02-18 22:47
Rare Glimpse into Zoo Life
We Bought A Zoo - Benjamin Mee
I have seen the ending of the movie several times and have laughed at some of the things said in the movie, so I was curious about the book. I borrowed the book in audio and Kindle format (listening while in the car, reading when sitting somewhere quiet, like a library). I enjoyed the book very much and noticed that while I thought (based on the bits of the movie I saw) that it was in the USA, not Great Britain, as the book shows. I thought the wife was deceased before they bought the zoo, but she died during the fixing the zoo.

On the whole, the book was a very good story showing how much goes into making the zoo and getting it so that it would open. I truly enjoyed the look into zoo life and felt sorry for the family when they lost their Catherine, but laughed at the moments where it was made funny, like the lion and trying to stand his ground when the lion attacked and roared. Rare glimpses of life in a zoo. I do recommend the book.

review 2018-02-18 15:09
Review: "BOYSTOWN, Season Eight" by Jake Biondi
BOYSTOWN Season Eight - Jake Biondi

~ 4.5 stars ~

review 2018-02-16 22:33
Manic Pixie Dream Boy (The Underdogs #1) by K.A. Merikan Review
Manic Pixie Dream Boy (gay rockstar romance) (The Underdogs Book 1) - K.A. Merikan

Dusk. Leader of The Underdogs. Destined for greatness. Lives in the now.
Abe. AKA Lolly. Iridescent. Unicorn.

All Dusk wants out of life is for his band to become world famous. He also wants to have a lot of fun along the way. And to get his rocks off. When he wants something, he goes for it, consequences be damned.

So when he sees a gorgeous pink-haired guy who is the human equivalent of tattooed cotton candy, he can’t help but have a taste. But it’s when Lolly ends up on their tour bus that Dusk knows their meeting was destiny

Abe is the kind of guy who goes with the flow. He was hitchhiking anyway, so why not spend the week with a hot piece of rocker beefcake, getting smothered by his sexy long hair? And why not play the part of the supportive cutie while he’s at it? It’s not like he’d be sticking around for long anyway.

All plans hit a wall when photos of Abe and Dusk emerge online, suddenly pushing the band into the spotlight. To take advantage of the sudden popularity, the band offers Abe money for staying.

Which means money for being in a fake relationship with Dusk.

Which isn’t even fake.

Or is it?

Review

I love the idea of Lolly/Abe. I adore the happy themed tattoos et all. But the actual development of the character is uneven and too late in the book to work well.

Dusk's character has many of the same issues. They don't talk even after several moments of saying TALK. I don't think Dusk even asks Lolly's real name until near end of the book

Then, we get into a pretend relationship trope which is awkward and an even more awkward climax and break up.

Hmmmm. I will likely read Dawn's story because interested but I hope the emotionial depth of the writing gets better.